Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
12 minutes ago, swebby said:

When i were young...... the run was always on baked beans, milk and sliced bread. The last heavy snow a couple of years back? it was fresh pizza and freshly squeezed fruit juice shelves that were empty, times are a changing!

Have to admit, i have stocked up things that has the potential be hit long term by travel/economic disruption, such as rice. Not so much in expectation that international freight will be stopped, but more disruption to production supply lines by depots, offices, ports and factories operating at reduced capacity if people stay away from work.  Had a situation back during the Beijing olympics where a common laboratory solvent became incredibly difficult to obtain and went through a 10 fold increase in price in a week because the Chinese authorities closed down the factories that produced it as a by-product to deal with their smog issue. Funnily enough, stocking up on that at work.

Another consequence in the longer term ...

GettyImages-75980773-1024x576.jpg
WWW.STATNEWS.COM

As the Chinese government increasingly locks down portions of the country, there are likely to be questions about production and supply of drug ingredients.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
18 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

They have had some in France already - you need to get yourself a mask ASAP.

Our local newspaper is already showing the story as the "most read". I think what people need to read most are the ghastly road accident reports that are a daily occurence and be far more circumspect when driving.

I'm not stocking up on "canned goods" (I think that's a phrase from a rather bad Stephen King movie!) - I rarely use them and if it ever came to it, not that it will, there are plenty of ragondin to shoot and I've loads of veggie and salad seeds to plant! Being almost entirely veggie and a good baker is simply fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
25 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Our local newspaper is already showing the story as the "most read". I think what people need to read most are the ghastly road accident reports that are a daily occurence and be far more circumspect when driving.

I'm not stocking up on "canned goods" (I think that's a phrase from a rather bad Stephen King movie!) - I rarely use them and if it ever came to it, not that it will, there are plenty of ragondin to shoot and I've loads of veggie and salad seeds to plant! Being almost entirely veggie and a good baker is simply fine.

Huge bags of frozen chicken me - problem is i dont get paid for another 2 weeks - the risk of shopping then will be great.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Stocking up on anything in fear seems a bit stupid on this occasion. While pretty infectious the death rate is about 2.5% (for reference i think Swine Flu was about 1% so it would be a bit worse than that). 

Here in the UK we are probably also capable of quarantine without tens of millions being in the same area. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Stocking up on anything in fear seems a bit stupid on this occasion. While pretty infectious the death rate is about 2.5% (for reference i think Swine Flu was about 1% so it would be a bit worse than that). 

Here in the UK we are probably also capable of quarantine without tens of millions being in the same area. 

You are well off 0.05% death rate it infected 1/5 of the global population and 500,000 died.

actually 0.02 this is therefore with 2% death rate 100 times more deadly...

6816DDDB-DADA-4D3E-B2DE-54D919D7B2D1.thumb.png.023f97779fe70dfacfdb203f34da2da9.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Spikecollie said:

Many of us could do with losing some weight. Whether this threat is a way of achieving it I am none too sure.

Anyway got plenty of flour and yeast plus dried beans and other stuff from last summer crops. 

Posted

My partner just sent me a text - she works at a large hospital in Hampshire - they are about to receive their first suspected coronavirus patient to her ward.

its been a pleasure knowing you all:(

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

My partner just sent me a text - she works at a large hospital in Hampshire - they are about to receive their first suspected coronavirus patient to her ward.

its been a pleasure knowing you all:(

I think we'll see you here for a long time yet, provided you drive carefully!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

How many of our beloved phones and tablets come from China? Not necessarily thinking they are health hazard. Just the supply aspect. 

Whoopee! A shortage of Chinese imported goods. Now that would make people think. Unlikely though...

Posted
16 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Whoopee! A shortage of Chinese imported goods. Now that would make people think. Unlikely though...

That last bit depends on just how much of the country/economy the Chinese authorities decide they want to shut down.  Worth considering that China is, as you would expect, rather protective about it's global trade, so if it goes about with actions that may damage this, then it is safe to assume they are very concerned.

Edited by swebby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, Snipper said:

How many of our beloved phones and tablets come from China? Not necessarily thinking they are health hazard. Just the supply aspect. 

I thought we couldn't buy things from China, due to our membership of the EEEEEEUUUUU?:shok:

But now it's nae a problem; we simply need to wipe our tablets with a silly piece of anti-viral tissue!:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I thought we couldn't buy things from China, due to our membership of the EEEEEEUUUUU?:shok:

But now it's nae a problem; we simply need to wipe our tablets with a silly piece of anti-viral tissue!:oldgood:

Ah, but do we use a Mcafee, Norton or Bullguard tissue?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

To be honest, panic buying in the UK is a good example of economic reflexivity, i.e most panic buying is out of the fear of others panic buying rather than of the original event that may make goods scarce.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

As ever always a lot of disinformation going on We now getting advise emails which are the normal basic hygiene that we should follow. Foreign office advising against travel to china unless it's totally necessary. I wonder if they have got round to screening people at air ports yet?  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

As I posted Yesterday it is people reactions , and not the virus, you should fear!

Any 'sensible measures' we take (such as always having a 3 week supply of food /batteries, battery/wind up radio/battery/wind up torch/access to potable water/water treatment tablets/gaz stove/fuel for gaz stove) are commonplace in many developed nations that face recurrent 'Natural' stressors (i.e. Hurricanes/earthquakes/flooding etc) so why ought we not, in this increasingly AGW impacted world, put aside such and then replenish it bevery couple of years when sell by dates are passed?

You take out insurance against that 1 in a 1,000 tr flood event but you'll not spend 70 quid every two years 'just in case'....

Madness!

Anyhoo's it is your comrades you'd be better watching over this next 6 months and not the spread/severity of the virus and it will be unrest/events driven by an unruly populace that will take our 'fit as a fiddle' fellows and not a 3% mortality rate from a new contagen!

Posted
31 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

As I posted Yesterday it is people reactions , and not the virus, you should fear!

Yes we should all fear the headless chicken syndrome 

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Any 'sensible measures' we take (such as always having a 3 week supply of food /batteries, battery/wind up radio/battery/wind up torch/access to potable water/water treatment tablets/gaz stove/fuel for gaz stove) are commonplace in many developed nations that face recurrent 'Natural' stressors (i.e. Hurricanes/earthquakes/flooding etc) so why ought we not, in this increasingly AGW impacted world, put aside such and then replenish it bevery couple of years when sell by dates are passed?

You take out insurance against that 1 in a 1,000 tr flood event but you'll not spend 70 quid every two years 'just in case'....

Madness!

Anyhoo's it is your comrades you'd be better watching over this next 6 months and not the spread/severity of the virus and it will be unrest/events driven by an unruly populace that will take our 'fit as a fiddle' fellows and not a 3% mortality rate from a new contagen!

We/I (alone for the next two months) do have a backup generator, lots of fuel for it and many rechargeable torches plus dynamo ones. These are in case of power outages though as our area has experienced 5 days without electricity due to weather events. We have no mains gas here but we have camping stoves with many spare cylinders. This becomes second nature in a very rural and exposed area. Whenever there's bad weather forecast that may affect the power supply, I always have torches in every room and know where they are. You get used to this low level of emergency planning.

I wouldn't have any problem with being cut off from online communication (and I have been for a few days when our masts were struck by lightning) but I know that would be a nightmare for some. It's a little like going out in the pouring rain for a run or walking in the deserted dark with my dog - I think nothing of it and actually enjoy it once my wet feet are warm after the water has been over my shoes or boots - being "rural" toughens you up. Too many people are a little "too soft" and fears abound.

These fears extend to anything outside their small zones of control and that is what can lead to mass panic. We can't control our environments (we need to protect them though!) but I have no idea how this message can be passed on...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Though current infection rates appear to be increasing exponentially at some point I reckon they get a rude 'Bump' as better data emerges from China as the new health teams (swamping places like Wuhan?) 'catch up' on their paperwork?

By Fri/Sat I expect a big leap in both Deaths from China, and numbers infected, because of this clearer record keeping.

Unlike AGW this will be done and dusted by Sept if  'R' =2.5 (or above) so if AGW was 'Too slow!' for you then this little drama might be more to your taste?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

British Airways has suspended all direct flights to and from mainland China because of the coronavirus outbreak, the airline has said.

_110687275_hi059529802.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

It comes as hundreds of foreign nationals are evacuated from the city of Wuhan, the centre of the outbreak.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Update from the WHO:

dg-and-xi-20200128.tmb-1200v.jpg?sfvrsn=
WWW.WHO.INT

The Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, today met President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China in Beijing. They shared the latest...

They still haven't yet reconvened the emergency committee though, so this has still not officially been declared a PHEIC (which it clearly is). Presumably, that will change in the next day or so, otherwise you have to ask what they are doing.

• Like 1