Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Of course we can!

but being a millennial myself (albeit an old one at 34) - I don't particularly appreciate the oft-used and hilariously inaccurate stereotype that all young people are defenceless, bone idol idiots who have suffered zero adversity in their lives because "everything has been handed to them on a platter."   

Those same young people are the ones making great leaps and advancements in scientific fields and likely developing the vaccine for this very virus.

Generally I don't think the phrases 'millennial' and 'boomer' are in any way helpful, sadly they've been pushed by the media and become part of everyday language and caused even more division in a very polarised society.

I totally agree the 'younger' generation are at the bleeding edge of science, tech development etc but there are some exceptionally experienced older heads leading the advances too.

I think the issue is that society as a whole has become overly reliant on technology, internet, mobile phones, home delivery of shopping, fast food etc... so we are probably less resilient as a whole than we were, say 30 years ago, and certain traditional 'life skills' such as cooking meals from basic ingredients, growing food and using our hands to make stuff seem to be becoming less prevalent.  Not through any fault of the 'younger generation', but more due to the fact there's no real perceived need for those skills as everything is mass produced.

BTW I'm 44 so I don't really fit into either category and I guess I'm quite lucky - I was taught to cook, grow stuff and encouraged to be self-sufficient from a very early age, and then grew up with more and more technological advances happening around me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Two patients in England, who are members of the same family, have tested positive for coronavirus.

skynews-breaking-news_4781018.jpg?201909
NEWS.SKY.COM

Two cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the UK, Public Health England says.

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Finally!! These quangos, all over the world, really are a waste of space! 

WHO a waste of space? Interesting perspective. Anyone died of Smallpox recently?

I do find it interesting how organisations that work day in day out to keep the public safe and improve humankind's environment are so readily criticised.

• Like 5

Posted
21 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Two patients in England, who are members of the same family, have tested positive for coronavirus.

skynews-breaking-news_4781018.jpg?201909
NEWS.SKY.COM

Two cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the UK, Public Health England says.

I wonder  if those are the people from Brum?.    Great

Posted

A Prof on This Morning right now says the UK, and all NHS (Eng, Wales, Scot) have the health infrastructure to cope with any outbreak in UK. Has the necessary infrastructure to isolate cases quickly. Very reassuring imho.

Prob best to take more note of people like him, rather than 'experts' on social media.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
25 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Generally I don't think the phrases 'millennial' and 'boomer' are in any way helpful, sadly they've been pushed by the media and become part of everyday language and caused even more division in a very polarised society.

I totally agree the 'younger' generation are at the bleeding edge of science, tech development etc but there are some exceptionally experienced older heads leading the advances too.

I think the issue is that society as a whole has become overly reliant on technology, internet, mobile phones, home delivery of shopping, fast food etc... so we are probably less resilient as a whole than we were, say 30 years ago, and certain traditional 'life skills' such as cooking meals from basic ingredients, growing food and using our hands to make stuff seem to be becoming less prevalent.  Not through any fault of the 'younger generation', but more due to the fact there's no real perceived need for those skills as everything is mass produced.

BTW I'm 44 so I don't really fit into either category and I guess I'm quite lucky - I was taught to cook, grow stuff and encouraged to be self-sufficient from a very early age, and then grew up with more and more technological advances happening around me.

No I completely agree, hence why I wouldn't use any term to categorise a generation of people - unless in jest like my "OK Boomer" comment was.

It's kind of like me saying everyone born in the boomer generation is a racist who enjoys watching Mrs Browns Boys - and while there are SOME, i know it's not all.

It's funny really - you're absolutely right that society has evolved to the point where we don't really need to learn these life/survival skills anymore, but the funny thing is the older generation through their work and endeavour made it so we could enjoy that lifestyle - and then complain about us enjoying it haha!

And finally, I won't even go into detail about how hard it was for me to buy my first house - and how many people my age simply cannot get on the property ladder when things like this were likely taken for granted in the 50's. 

Hardship and struggle are relative to your surroundings. Sure, most young people are not starving and drinking out of rainwater puddles like they are in the poor parts of Africa, but they're still struggling and I don't like it when people gate-keep and basically say "you're not allowed to feel depressed or hard done by because it could be worse" etc.

Also, if an apocalyptic scenario does develop, i'm weak, useless at DIY and manual labour and will be likely one of the first to go haha, but lets hope it doesn't come to that!

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

A Prof on This Morning right now says the UK, and all NHS (Eng, Wales, Scot) have the health infrastructure to cope with any outbreak in UK. Has the necessary infrastructure to isolate cases quickly. Very reassuring imho.

But what about your local council? Do they have much or any policy as nothing much has happened for years?

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

But what about your local council? Do they have much or any policy as nothing much has happened for years?

Eh? What have councils got anything to do with it? Your local NHS trust will monitor and act accordingly if cases in your area. Dont worry.

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

Eh? What have councils got anything to do with it? Your local NHS trust will monitor and act accordingly if cases in your area. Dont worry.

The NHS won’t do everything. They can’t cope with current doctoring let alone what potentially this is. Foot soldiers will be needed plus other assistance. 

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

The NHS won’t do everything. They can’t cope with current doctoring let alone what potentially this is. Foot soldiers will be needed plus other assistance. 

The NHS will cope.

Posted
1 minute ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

No, I'm pretty certain these are two Chinese from South Wales. 

Thanks for the info    as a footnote  i see our chinese friends have novel ways of combating the situation

image.thumb.png.a5ef4d0703733e87d4d597d0a29a0b07.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Thanks for the info    as a footnote  i see our chinese friends have novel ways of combating the situation

image.thumb.png.a5ef4d0703733e87d4d597d0a29a0b07.png

I don't know when the information about them being Chinese or in South Wales will be public knowledge, but this was known (suspected) 2-3 days ago. They got them in isolation fairly quickly, but I'll be very surprised if they have not passed it onto others. 

Edited by Astral Goat Juice
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
On 24/01/2020 at 21:01, Bristle boy said:

Wuhan is the area where infection is rife. Contained and this will be minor.  

Hi B.B. !

How did containing it in Wuhan go for you then?

From around that time I was cautioning about 2nd week in Feb for any 'spike' in cases driven by folk infected whilst in China for CNY.....I still think the same with this weekends 'travel home' to nations around the Globe spreading the virus as they go.

This is not contained and any 'R' number over 3 means it cannot be as too much of it is now circulating

I think folk might also be mindful of the scale of Chinese infrastructure investment across Africa?

All those Chinese Nationals that went home for CNY will now be returning to their projects in Africa and ,as W.H.O. says, places without good healthcare are an issue as infection there will be rife (no chance of containment/isolation like we saw with Ebola as other Nations will be busy with their own outbreaks so unable to spare Dr's/nurses/equipment?)

Posted
11 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Prob best to take more note of people like him, rather than 'experts' on social media.

Does he work in NHS? Nope... when 1/5 of reported cases end up in ICU, Docs would tell you the same NHS couldn’t cope with that more lives would be endangered. That is the event it turns into a full blown epidemic it is a concerning possibility. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Gray-Wolf said:

Hi B.B. !

How did containing it in Wuhan go for you then?

From around that time I was cautioning about 2nd week in Feb for any 'spike' in cases driven by folk infected whilst in China for CNY.....I still think the same with this weekends 'travel home' to nations around the Globe spreading the virus as they go.

This is not contained and any 'R' number over 3 means it cannot be as too much of it is now circulating

I think folk might also be mindful of the scale of Chinese infrastructure investment across Africa?

All those Chinese Nationals that went home for CNY will now be returning to their projects in Africa and ,as W.H.O. says, places without good healthcare are an issue as infection there will be rife (no chance of containment/isolation like we saw with Ebola as other Nations will be busy with their own outbreaks so unable to spare Dr's/nurses/equipment?)

Yep. The Prof said on tv just now that areas of world where health support is poor will be affected most, as always, nothing new there. Here in UK most people that get it will be treated in isolation, as if they have flu (after all i believe coronavirus is a term used for a number of viruses). And, as with flu, the weak and v old, will be most at risk from fatality.

As an added re seeing medical people covered up in white suit i had to wear one plus facemask when my father was dying. He was in an isolation ward with flu during his last days. The NHS is used to this kind of prep, and well prepared.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

The NHS will cope.

Will they promise to see everyone who visits A&E within four months? Will the new waiting-times 'initiative' be written in a shiny, new edition of Boris's NHS Mission Statement?:help:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Will they promise to see everyone who visits A&E within four months? Will the new waiting-times 'initiative' be written in a shiny, new edition of Boris's NHS Mission Statement?:help:

With *unt now in charge of the team seeing how well the NHS is doing......

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

The NHS will cope.

Cope with what?  If your local council’s staff are made ineffective by illness are the NHS going to step in? Rubbish piling up in the streets etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
14 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Don't worry, it's only the weak, vulnerable, elderly, and newborn that will die. 

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Don't worry, it's only the weak, vulnerable, elderly, and newborn that will die. 

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

Not true. There have been several cases of fit and healthy young men succumbing to the virus in China. 

Edited by Astral Goat Juice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 minute ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Not true. There have been several cases of fit and healthy young men succumbing to the virus in China. 

Of course. I'm merely highlighting the casual attitude to wide-scale mortality.

• Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

The NHS will cope.

I admire your confidence. The fact that the NHS struggle to cope with winter in general (and we do kind of have an idea when winter will be and how regularly) then the unexpected arrival of a pandemic should be no cause for concern.......

To be serious, there is something here that you are not taking into account when making comparisons to flu - there is no immunity, there is no vaccine! Front line NHS staff can and do take the seasonal flu jab to help attenuate staff sickness over the critical winter season. If this hits the UK hard and is not contained, then NHS staff are as susceptible as the next person. If the staff are ill, who does the nursing?

Edited by swebby
  • Like 3