Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
On 29/01/2020 at 10:46, swebby said:

... Something that is worth noting.  India have not reported any cases. Yet!  Stick this in somewhere like Mumbai, light bue touch paper and retire a safe distance.........

19 hours ago, swebby said:

Seems to me they (China) have learnt plenty at least in what to do when an outbreak of something occurs. The lock downs are truly exceptional measures, they have more or less quarantined a city of 10 million souls and that is staggering......

16 hours ago, Snipper said:

Probably helps if China is something akin to a dictatorship. I don’t expect any planning permission was sort for the hospitals they are building at rapid speed.

5 hours ago, Flipflop said:

A positive case of Novel #coronavirus has been reported in #Kerala state. The patient is a student from Wuhan University. The patient has tested positive for #CoronavirusWho & is in isolation in the hospital. The patient is stable and is being closely monitored!

https://twitter.com/anusha_puppala/status/1222800926244655104?s=20

Put the matches down and step away from the firework........

Posted
25 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Really?! Do u do the same when it's a bad Winter in the UK for influenza OR, say, a norovirus outbreak?

As for The Sun or Express stirring people into a "frenzy" it seems like you dont need the papers to do that.

Clearly this is something that has polarised opinions (like everything seems to these days).

You obviously think it'll pass without any issues, some people think it'll be the end of days.  I'm somewhere in the middle.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

So if you get away with a few sniffles, you're okay, and if you die, you're dead? That's certainly reassuring to know!:oldgood: 

How many peeps do you know of who've died of a common cold?

I was referring to "the spread" or "spreading". Influenza affects and kills 000s every year in the UK, but we dont stock up on food, etc and shut ourselves away when an outbreak becomes severe.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, fujita5 said:

Clearly this is something that has polarised opinions (like everything seems to these days).

You obviously think it'll pass without any issues, some people think it'll be the end of days.  I'm somewhere in the middle.

Not sure i wrote that it'll pass without any issues. It'll be like a bad outbreak of flu, although to repeat myself a doc on telly today recks a severe influenza outbreak is much worse than coronavirus. That'll do for me. Right i'm off out to meet an ex-colleague in Bristol West, for a few bevvies and a supremely carnivorous ground beefmeat burger (best in Bristol imho), which is an area of Bristol dominated by Woke Leftie students, and also many other students of Chinese origin, genuinely. Shall i wear a mask? Nah.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We are already hearing of folk being overtly racist to folk 'looking' chinese in nations with confirmed cases so why do folk think the UK will act differently once we start to see our first cases?

As for folk 'panic buying'.....have you never shopped in the run up to xmas? 1 day the shop shuts for, one day yet the shelves are empty by xmas eve!

But then there is the more serious side of keeping the lorries rolling over peak infection meaning a couple of weeks of hit and miss deliveries as drivers either fall sick or stay away from work to avoid the virus and spreading it to their partners/kids

Of course this will be true of fuel and cash in cashpoints, of beer and coffee in coffee shops, of fast foods and fast food deliveries.....

You do not expect your house to burn or flood or fall down but you take out insurance 'just in case'

In the developed world we depend on everything running just fine to survive, turn that off for a week and folk struggle! I mean how many folk are on pumped artesian water supplies in the UK? what happens if that supply is interrupted?

This is why I fear the human response more than I do the virus. the virus is only bad in 1 out of 4 cases, people are always nutters....each and every time!!!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Not sure i wrote that it'll pass without any issues. It'll be like a bad outbreak of flu, although to repeat myself a doc on telly today recks a severe influenza outbreak is much worse than coronavirus. That'll do for me. Right i'm off out to meet an ex-colleague in Bristol West, for a few bevvies and a supremely carnivorous ground beefmeat burger (best in Bristol imho), which is an area of Bristol dominated by Woke Leftie students, and also many other students of Chinese origin, genuinely. Shall i wear a mask? Nah.

How would you define a bad outbreak of the Flu?  The Doc may be correct in that a severe outbreak of flu would be worse, afterall the 1918 outbreak did for 50-100 million people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
18 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I was referring to "the spread" or "spreading". Influenza affects and kills 000s every year in the UK, but we dont stock up on food, etc and shut ourselves away when an outbreak becomes severe.

who remembers the flu outbreak of 99/00 that killed an added 50,000 in the UK alone ..i dont remember hysteria or panic buying etc

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
24 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I was only being sarky, BB.:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

I was only being sarky, BB.:oldgrin:

I know Pete. Us Vets, on here, from the defunct UK Politics thread, know each other quite well, when it comes to forum posting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
14 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

who remembers the flu outbreak of 99/00 that killed an added 50,000 in the UK alone ..i dont remember hysteria or panic buying etc

People panicked over SARS and MERS for a while but they rather quickly faded after initial worry. Whereas there is always caution when something new comes along, I'm not too worried at this point. I believe the only panic buying will be in Mytholmroyd...

Posted
13 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

People panicked over SARS and MERS for a while but they rather quickly faded after initial worry. Whereas there is always caution when something new comes along, I'm not too worried at this point. I believe the only panic buying will be in Mytholmroyd...

As noted up thread I'm still suffering the 'Luke Hangover' so we're OK here thanks!

We were incredibly lucky with SARS in that it was stopped before it really 'got out' so no matter the 'R' number was potentially the isolation kept spread at bay

This is out of the same stable as Severe Acute and Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome. both SARS and MERS were not transmissible until symptoms were showing.....this strain is and we have no defense against it nor any vaccine. All we can do is treat the symptoms until they clear up....

and of course it is evolving with every new person infected.

Some strange vids doing the rounds last night/today showing workers sealing people in a building where 2019-nCoV is suspected....I know it's a communist state but that appears a tad severe even for them for something that doesn't bother 75% of cases that much?

W.H.O. are looking again at the current warnings over the virus, the reason it was not declared an international emergency was that there had been no spread within any other country other than China.

We now have 4 other countries declaring H2H transfer so I think they will declare an international emergency latter today

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
2 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

About two weeks ago I had a Viral Infection, about the same dates when the Corona-virus would have been landing in the UK.  I work in an international setting where I would interact with a lot of people travelling.   I haven't had it that bad since 2014, so how does anyone know that they haven't had it and gotten over it?  It took me roughly 14 days to get rid of it, and I am still feeling it a little bit now.

I just came across your comment on reddit! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Some strange vids doing the rounds last night/today showing workers sealing people in a building where 2019-nCoV is suspected....I know it's a communist state but that appears a tad severe even for them for something that doesn't bother 75% of cases that much?

Got my pot of red paint and brush at the ready. 

93E5DB2B-7F5A-4360-93BB-A787C2C469B2.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

• Like 1

Posted

Other thing that seems surprising is there is no notification of any cases in UK yet. Could it be the NHS staff are too busy trying to find a parking place they can afford to record anything. 

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, Snipper said:

LOL!

Something is just not sitting quite right in my mind though? Ther back end of last week we were seeing vids of folk inside Wuhan just keeling over both on the street and in the shops.

When I was bad with Swine Flu I couldn't even get up & considered grabbing one of Luke's pads rather than try & make the bathroom!!! 

So , if these folk were at the point of collapse, why are they out and about shopping?

Yesterday & today it is folk being nailed into their apartments because of suspected infection?

We know it already did the H2H mutation but has another , more sinister, change occurred to the virus (hence the 50 million in lockdown and these anomalous vids?)

EDIT: One less worry is 'Face Masks' as it appears the UK is running out of them

image.jpg
WWW.WIGANTODAY.NET

The demand for face masks in the UK appears to be on the rise amid fears about the coronavirus, with pharmacies working to boost stocks.

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

EDIT: One less worry is 'Face Masks' as it appears the UK is running out of them

Well the masks you usually see probably would not save you from anything. If they can’t keep dust out if you are doing a bit of sanding what chance for micro organisms?  Probably do better by sticking a couple of plugs of cotton wool up your nose. 

3DB9A1F6-CAD7-4DD7-ABFC-D0A509A32A8B.jpeg

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted

The virus is quite chunky apparently (400 to 500 nm) meaning even the surgical mask offer protection from it?

I still have a supply of N95's from my previous life so I'm OK for them

Back then folk would wear them if they were sniffly, we would not wear them!

Best way to keep a sneeze in is to do it behind a mask!!!!

Posted

Well, i'm here in Bristol West constituency, in one of the pubs on Glos Rd, gonna order one of their legendary burgers in a mo with dirty fries, i have a pint of Thatchers Gold in front of me, and....no sh#t Sherlock there are 2 Chinese students on next table.....do i quietly get up and go, or just ignore and order my burger? 

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

LOL!

Something is just not sitting quite right in my mind though? Ther back end of last week we were seeing vids of folk inside Wuhan just keeling over both on the street and in the shops.

When I was bad with Swine Flu I couldn't even get up & considered grabbing one of Luke's pads rather than try & make the bathroom!!! 

So , if these folk were at the point of collapse, why are they out and about shopping?

Depends how rapid the onset of symptoms are.  Very rapid onset is actually one of the classic giveaways that you have flu, one minute you are making plans for going out in the evening, three hours later your are in bed feeling like death. In 1918 there were reports of people getting up to go to work, making it on to the bus/tram but were dead by the time they had reached the factory gates.  One possibility would be a cytokine storm and this was linked to the deaths from SARS.

Your common garden cold however takes a good 48hrs to go from "hmmm, something is not quite right" to the broken glass sore throat and the mucus taps set to flood.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Well, i'm here in Bristol West constituency, in one of the pubs on Glos Rd, gonna order one of their legendary burgers in a mo with dirty fries, i have a pint of Thatchers Gold in front of me, and....no sh#t Sherlock there are 2 Chinese students on next table.....do i quietly get up and go, or just ignore and order my burger? 

Maybe start a conversation with them, you never know, it may turn out they were born and bred in Weston and have never been further afield than Birmingham.

Thatchers? - good call.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
25 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Think what they would do in their ultra polite and face saving culture and do the same. Sit down and enjoy your flippin' meal for the universe's sake...

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Lol  actually  I've just ordered and ate a Chinese from down the road   it was lovely     I did give it the once over when it arrived  however all looked good  I'm sure I'll be f   atchoooo 

Posted
11 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Lol  actually  I've just ordered and ate a Chinese from down the road   it was lovely     I did give it the once over when it arrived  however all looked good  I'm sure I'll be f   atchoooo 

Just booked the family in to a Chinese restaurant we use for birthdays. It’s to celebrate my birthday but as dementia has kicked in I’m not sure which one. 45? 60? Oh it’s 75 I think.  They all like going as dad picks up the tab. Checked the menu but they don’t have bat burgers on. Damn!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

LOL!

Yesterday & today it is folk being nailed into their apartments because of suspected infection?

We know it already did the H2H mutation but has another , more sinister, change occurred to the virus (hence the 50 million in lockdown and these anomalous vids?)

image.jpg
WWW.WIGANTODAY.NET

The demand for face masks in the UK appears to be on the rise amid fears about the coronavirus, with pharmacies working to boost stocks.

you're right, something is absolutely not right.

The authorities have never isolated 10s of millions of people, borders are shutting to china all over the shop, most government just care about money, so imagine the amount of cash that would cost in output and trade, etc.

I'm not panicking, but there is a deep seated sense of....'this is it' about this pandemic.  We all knew it would come sooner or later

• Like 2