Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

Although I’m not getting too stressed about this I’m glad I’m not flying anytime soon .

The cabin just has mostly recirculated air and will just spread any virus around .  Notwithstanding the fact I despise flying at the best of times .

I still find the number of reported cases in Europe to be really unusual given the huge amount of travel between there and China.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

A time for cool heads and considered rational responses:

Posted

Containment is key. So, the fact China is shutting down, and travel in and out is now severely restricted induces comfort. 

In countries like the UK, any confinement policies should suffice. I'm not unduly concerned, as long as we are tough about confinement, quarntine, etc and dont get fluffy over confinement policies.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Not overly sensitive about "rational responses" either; this is NO time for PC motivated responses.

You agree with Jesicca (sic) that we should be shooting down airliners? :oldsmile:

Posted
14 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

You agree with Jesicca (sic) that we should be shooting down airliners? :oldsmile:

Erm....not sure where that comes from

Posted
51 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

as long as we are tough about confinement, quarntine, etc and dont get fluffy over confinement policies.

Fully agree with you there BB. Trouble is, like I said a few days ago, you can almost guarantee that certain parts of society will take the opportunity to riot and loot if there's any kind of government response e.g curfews or bans on large gatherings. That'll only accelerate the spread, assuming it gets here.

Edited by fujita5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
59 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

you're right, something is absolutely not right.

The authorities have never isolated 10s of millions of people, borders are shutting to china all over the shop, most government just care about money, so imagine the amount of cash that would cost in output and trade, etc.

I'm not panicking, but there is a deep seated sense of....'this is it' about this pandemic.  We all knew it would come sooner or later

Huzzah!

Hail and well met Fellow!

Sadly we're in 'The Boy who cried Wolf' territory due to how the media has messed with other threats over recent decades (Bird Flu & its potential H2H evolution, SARS/Swine Flu/MERS?) so folk will just chime in with "they said all this last time and it were nowt....." without really taking the time to understand how our 21st Century World ticks?

Too many 'Fraggles' and not enough 'Doozers' I reckon....all of them feeling perfectly secure in the most insecure of realities when compared to our 'less advanced' past where we knew where sweet water was to be found and held food enough 'till next Harvest/Sahmain slaughter.......

All we can do is speak our truths and leave them to think themselves clever eh? Dunning/Kruger-esque wake up calls for the many.....

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Coronavirus declared global health emergency by WHO https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51318246

Finally!! These quangos, all over the world, really are a waste of space! 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Erm....not sure where that comes from

Well, you referenced my “rational responses” which was in relation to an American woman who suggested that a plane carrying US evacuees from China should be shot down.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Well, you referenced my “rational responses” which was in relation to an American woman who suggested that a plane carrying US evacuees from China should be shot down.

Hillary Clinton?

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

All "rational responses" are not the same

Posted

It's not all bad news!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
16 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

More mad social media content, no doubt. Let it go. No one should dare threaten innocent people aboard an aircraft - in fact isn't that a crime in most countries? Though maybe inciting/wishing the military to do it is a way out and the silly person knows that. Social media will be our downfall, not a cluster of hurriedly mutated DNA!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, Yarmy said:

It's not all bad news!

Disgusting beyond belief...

Posted

USA

CDC confirms first H2H case in the USA.....seems shooting down the plane wouldn't make any difference.....

• Like 1

Posted

Containment is key. If that fails then....who knows?!

But, this isnt even a severe worldwide influenza outbreak, so no worries.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Containment is key. If that fails then....who knows?!

But, this isnt even a severe worldwide influenza outbreak, so no worries.

?

Have we not just spent a week watching containment fail?

We still have 7 days incubation for those who got out before any travel restrictions but then those 'restrictions' were initially just Huwan, then the province it sits in?

Today we know every province in China has the virus (keep your eye on the '1 to 14 days incubation' ball when you think on this?) and the flights have been coming and going all those international airports all the past week?

2019 nCov is out and about on its travels and best info has it similar to the common cold so existing on hard surfaces for up to 1 hr......one wrong door knob follow by an eye rub or nose rub and it's found a new home!

How many airport terminals have seen this little play over the last week? Where were those travellers bound as they continued to play host to our new visitor? How many shared their air as they flew on to their destinations and planted more virii on door knobs/tables/handrails/luggage trolleys/taxi doors etc.?

'Containment'?

That's soooooo 3 weeks ago!

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

?

Have we not just spent a week watching containment fail?

We still have 7 days incubation for those who got out before any travel restrictions but then those 'restrictions' were initially just Huwan, then the province it sits in?

Today we know every province in China has the virus (keep your eye on the '1 to 14 days incubation' ball when you think on this?) and the flights have been coming and going all those international airports all the past week?

2019 nCov is out and about on its travels and best info has it similar to the common cold so existing on hard surfaces for up to 1 hr......one wrong door knob follow by an eye rub or nose rub and it's found a new home!

How many airport terminals have seen this little play over the last week? Where were those travellers bound as they continued to play host to our new visitor? How many shared their air as they flew on to their destinations and planted more virii on door knobs/tables/handrails/luggage trolleys/taxi doors etc.?

'Containment'?

That's soooooo 3 weeks ago!

"Containment fail"?

NOPE.

Figs released so far, seem to me, to illustrate successful containment, globally.

2, 3 weeks down the line from today - if we suddenly see 1MN dead then it is a fail, but if we see, globally, even as many as 100,000 dead i'd see that as a norm.

I know, from historic posts on here, you are a doomsayer, but i think you will be disappointed come 6 months time.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Huzzah!

Hail and well met Fellow!

Sadly we're in 'The Boy who cried Wolf' territory due to how the media has messed with other threats over recent decades (Bird Flu & its potential H2H evolution, SARS/Swine Flu/MERS?) so folk will just chime in with "they said all this last time and it were nowt....." without really taking the time to understand how our 21st Century World ticks?

Too many 'Fraggles' and not enough 'Doozers' I reckon....all of them feeling perfectly secure in the most insecure of realities when compared to our 'less advanced' past where we knew where sweet water was to be found and held food enough 'till next Harvest/Sahmain slaughter.......

All we can do is speak our truths and leave them to think themselves clever eh? Dunning/Kruger-esque wake up calls for the many.....

the fragility of modern society, both physically and especially mentally, means that even if this virus is a third as bad as the spanish flu, we could face a total societal meltdown and anarchy.

People just cannot fend for themselves nowadays, and we've been conditioned to think/be like that for almost 50 years now.

I am in not the least bit worried about this virus affecting me in its own right, i'm downright terrified of the response of people, who have lived in luxury and comfort ever since the 1950s (practically).  People will riot and burn down their own towns due to lack of WiFi now, let alone real hardship.

The 20s are going to be the start of the fall of western society, this virus is the kickstart (if it takes off like we think it will)

• Like 3

Posted

Hi C.H. !

We appear to be on the same page.

We all have to play host to this novel virus until such time we have a vaccine so why worry about that side of things.

If we do fret about such (as we are 'convinced' we'll be in the 25% taken badly) then you might try and avoid it until 'peak infection' has passed and society has settled back from that crisis?

Planning a way through the societal collapse (so as to be there at the other side) is our biggest concern surely?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
1 minute ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Hi C.H. !

We appear to be on the same page.

We all have to play host to this novel virus until such time we have a vaccine so why worry about that side of things.

If we do fret about such (as we are 'convinced' we'll be in the 25% taken badly) then you might try and avoid it until 'peak infection' has passed and society has settled back from that crisis?

Planning a way through the societal collapse (so as to be there at the other side) is our biggest concern surely?

the first concern is....where is it going to start...not the virus, but the panic?

I'm lucky, i spent my whole life in horticulture and food growing, i might be of use, should we be lined up a wall and not shot.

even if there were a vaccine, it's take so much time and money to distribute, the poor would be the last to get it, and would be the main spreaders, just look at the black death, the poor were the last to be helped and the first that needed it, regardless of money.

just out....  

gettyimages-1201638596.tmb-1200v.jpg?sfv
WWW.WHO.INT

Following the advice of the Emergency Committee today, WHO Director-General has declared the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. In...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, fujita5 said:

Oh come on.  Can't we just discuss this without the usual playground stuff creeping in?

There are clearly strong opinions on the virus, the spread, the reaction etc, but let's just play nicely, OK?

Of course we can!

but being a millennial myself (albeit an old one at 34) - I don't particularly appreciate the oft-used and hilariously inaccurate stereotype that all young people are defenceless, bone idol idiots who have suffered zero adversity in their lives because "everything has been handed to them on a platter."   

Those same young people are the ones making great leaps and advancements in scientific fields and likely developing the vaccine for this very virus.

• Like 4