Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

I think people making light of/insulting those buying extra toilet paper are missing the point.

I have brought extra toilet paper in case we are quarantined at short notice or if there is an issue with supermarkets and supply chains so in the event I need to take a dump, I don’t have to wipe my bum with A4 paper.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, it might be a good idea but really you are guessing, there might be a chinese restaurant where someone has recently been back to china, there could be another one where the whole family have migrated and no-one in their family has ever been back to china, but i suppose you can't really ask before ordering a meal 'Have you been to china recently?' as it just isn't the done thing, but the difference with pizza's though is they are like McDonalds, It isn't like just because Pizza's are their national dish, how many Italians do you ever see managing or working in a Dominoes pizza shop, like with McDonalds, How many American's do you see working there? - a big fat zero.

You focus on probably just over 1 row of seats on that aircraft back from China?

What about the 'businessmen/salesmen' coming back to the UK and sharing the sairports, at borth ends, with the 'chinese Family?

What of the 'Gap year travellers', 'winter Sun seekers' et al on the flight ?(filling those hundreds of seats?)

Didn't they alone come back here from China/Far East over Jan/Early Feb?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The media, as usual, aren't being very helpful. Yes report we have a virus that can kill, but c'mon. No wonder people are going stupid.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 3

Guest Delete Me
25 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Paul Faulkner.  Just seen this update, so either no increases in covid19 or they are clarifying yesterday’s figures?  Doesn’t really make sense for there to be no increase in 24 hours

Update is at 2pm from PHE with new numbers

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

Information for the public on the outbreak of coronavirus, including the current situation in the UK and information about the virus and its symptoms.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I think people making light of/insulting those buying extra toilet paper are missing the point.

I have brought extra toilet paper in case we are quarantined at short notice or if there is an issue with supermarkets and supply chains so in the event I need to take a dump, I don’t have to wipe my bum with A4 paper.

It's not the people buying the odd extra pack that's being made fun of, it's the people going in with a trolley and completely filling it with nothing BUT loo roll that are 'being made fun of'.  There's absolutely no reason to go out and buy 10 packs of 24 rolls.....

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I read on one of the Italian weather pages I follow that the decree has been signed off by the PM but still needs further approval? So it hasn't actually started yet?

I though it started from midnight last night, eh well,

Still bad delaying it like this though, gives people in the area time to go 'visit' relatives outside the areas before it's put into place and spread it even further....

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
14 minutes ago, Azazel said:

As several news articles have said, though, there is a balance. Buying what you need for a two week potential isolation is one thing, buying huge quantities that are well beyond what you need for that period is quite another as it leaves other people without the means to sustain themselves for a potential two week period. People need to make rational purchases and answer honestly as to how much toilet roll they use in a typical week. You can then buy twice this amount, put it away in case of emergency and just buy normally. The same applies to food and healthcare products. Stripping the shelves is anti-social and very selfish. For me, the epitome of disgraceful behaviour is the mentality of people who are trying to make a profit from this crisis by selling scarce essential products like hand sanitiser at hyper-inflated prices. I think people doing this on Amazon, eBay or wherever should be tracked down and made to give the money back to purchasers. Ultimately it needs to be made a criminal offence. The law is there as a common denominator to protect us all and there are times when it needs to be used.

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yes in away, but buying ridiculous amounts and stockpiling whole bedrooms with it is probably over the top, incidentally, for some strange reason Tesco have dropped their 9 pack of budget toilet rolls from 2.10 to 1.90, snapped some up friday, that is probably unrelated though as they have done that with a lot of items, it says Aldi price beat so they have to do it, as they would be violating their price beat promise and could be fined for false advertising otherwise.

• Like 1

Posted

No I agree there should be a balance. I estimate I’ve got enough food and toilet paper to last me and my partner (and our spaniel) a month or thereabouts.

The people making a profit though are utter scum and unfortunately anything involving money always brings out the worst in humanity.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted

My two idiot friends are still in Italy, due to fly home tomorrow. 

They were at the colosseum a few hours ago when the military showed up and shut it down.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

My two idiot friends are still in Italy, due to fly home tomorrow. 

They were at the colosseum a few hours ago when the military showed up and shut it down.

They need to be quarantined when they get off the plane.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

As several news articles have said, though, there is a balance. Buying what you need for a two week potential isolation is one thing, buying huge quantities that are well beyond what you need for that period is quite another as it leaves other people without the means to sustain themselves for a potential two week period. People need to make rational purchases and answer honestly as to how much toilet roll they use in a typical week. You can then buy twice this amount, put it away in case of emergency and just buy normally. The same applies to food and healthcare products. Stripping the shelves is anti-social and very selfish. For me, the epitome of disgraceful behaviour is the mentality of people who are trying to make a profit from this crisis by selling scarce essential products like hand sanitiser at hyper-inflated prices. I think people doing this on Amazon, eBay or wherever should be tracked down and made to give the money back to purchasers. Ultimately it needs to be made a criminal offence. The law is there as a common denominator to protect us all and there are times when it needs to be used.

Increased use should also be factored in, especially for hand gel sanitisers which were probably a low demand product in the first place. fear makes people do weird things.

But the idiots hoarding just to resell on ebay make me despair. Back in less enlightened times, this group would have ended up in the stocks outside the village gates, or worse.

• Like 4

Guest Delete Me
  • Poland: 1154 tested 1146 negative 8 positive
  • Netherlands: 77 new cases of coronavirus and 2 new deaths, raising total to 265 cases and 3 dead
  • Iran: 743 new cases and 49 new deaths, raising total to 6,566 cases and 194 dead
  • Bangladesh: first 3 cases of coronavirus
  • Indonesia: 2 new cases making it to 6 cases total.
  • Austria: 104 cases now with 25 new
  • UK: 2 new cases in Cumbria
  • Sweden: 14 new cases
  • Singapore: 12 new cases
Edited by Delete Me

Posted

This is an interesting one,

The French Labour Minister has said that 900 French companies have applied for partial staff layoffs, affecting 15,000 employees due to economic/financial concerns around COVID-19.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

They need to be quarantined when they get off the plane.

They absolutely won’t be and I can bet neither of them will self isolate either.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

They absolutely won’t be and I can bet neither of them will self isolate either.

Have a word with them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Have a word with them.

Believe me myself and a few others have tried. I was actually supposed to be going with them but I pulled out. Some people are just extremely naive and nonplussed and refuse to believe this is anything other than a big fuss over nothing even though it’s unravelling infront of them.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

Believe me myself and a few others have tried. I was actually supposed to be going with them but I pulled out. Some people are just extremely naive and nonplussed and refuse to believe this is anything other than a big fuss over nothing even though it’s unravelling infront of them.

If I had friends like that I'd be asking myself why I had friends like that! Sorry - they're just being completely irresponsible.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

If I had friends like that I'd be asking myself why I had friends like that! Sorry - they're just being completely irresponsible.

It’s a tough one. They’re both genuinely lovely people and very smart so it’s hard to reconcile. It’s almost like they’ve dug their feet in and are being stubborn out of spite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I'd imagine a lot of people are like that, even more will be if the Gov start banning gatherings or trying to force people to self isolate.People don't like being told what to do even if it's for a good reason... 

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

You focus on probably just over 1 row of seats on that aircraft back from China?

What about the 'businessmen/salesmen' coming back to the UK and sharing the sairports, at borth ends, with the 'chinese Family?

What of the 'Gap year travellers', 'winter Sun seekers' et al on the flight ?(filling those hundreds of seats?)

Didn't they alone come back here from China/Far East over Jan/Early Feb?

Not sure what you are getting at though, the whole family could all be second or even third generation, and could be actually British but of Chinese decent, we are now getting on for a Century's worth of immigration, so you cannot assume that people of decent from other countries have any connection with those countries.

• Like 2