Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
6 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

I do know for sure that when I get flu like symptoms I will surely not report to the doctor unless I get into respiratory distress and risk being forced into quarantine for 2 weeks, although that's probably better than a hospital where you run the additional risk of getting a severe secondary nosocomial infection 

Would you self quarantine if you had symptoms that could be COVID-19? If not, what would you do - continue to move around in public and go about your daily life potentially spreading the disease to others, some of whom may be vulnerable enough to die from it? I hope not...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Cases by region in England. All regions have seen an increase with the exception of the North East and Yorkshire.

• East of England | 23 (+7)
  • London | 51 (+13)
  • Midlands | 25 (+8)
  • North East and Yorkshire | 18 No change
  • North West | 31 (+5)
  • South East | 41 (+11)
  • South West | 35  (+10)

To be determined | 22 (+8)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

BNO Newsroom

@BNODesk Vietnam reports 9 new cases of coronavirus, all of whom arrived on a plane on Monday. They include 7 people from the UK, 1 from Mexico, and 1 from Iceland

That is a concern. 

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Guest Delete Me

I said I would consider 400-ish cases come Wednesday a success, with the current trend we would be looking at 420 by Wednesday morning. The number of unconfirmed or undetected cases is much higher but there's nothing we can do about that.

Let's see what happens, people need to take this seriously now rather than brushing it off as flu.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Would you self quarantine if you had symptoms that could be COVID-19? If not, what would you do - continue to move around in public and go about your daily life potentially spreading the disease to others, some of whom may be vulnerable enough to die from it? I hope not...

No, I wouldn't. The small minority of people at risk should take care of themselves not 97.5% of basically healthy people not at risk 

Guest Delete Me

Good thing for Spain is that this week there is a nice little heatwave arriving for some parts which will hopefully kill off some of the virus.

Posted
38 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

As long as they're needed I would guess? Maybe an extended easter holiday for schools?

I think thats what I would probably do, try and keep schools open a few more weeks (I don't think we are there yet) and try to link it as close to the easter holidays.

Or maybe move the easter holidays earlier a week or two?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Not sure where in the city but Wolverhampton has its first confirmed case of Coronavirus announced today

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think thats what I would probably do, try and keep schools open a few more weeks (I don't think we are there yet) and try to link it as close to the easter holidays.

Or maybe move the easter holidays earlier a week or two?

Kids are virtually immune for corona, there have been 0 patients younger than 9 years old and when they do get it the symptoms are very mild. Really the whole world doesn't need to grind to a halt what for most of us isn't even a real (influenza) flu.

25-30 years ago before we started vaccinating at risk populations yearly for influenza strains we didn't panic either 

Edited by ArHu3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Kids are virtually immune for corona, there have been 0 patients younger than 9 years old and when they do get it the symptoms are very mild. Really the whole world doesn't need to grind to a halt what for most of us isn't even a real (influenza) flu

But when they catch it, go home to their parents, their grandparents will catch it, and in any case it does kill young people as well, just not that many.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Remarkable how no one yet in Germany has died.

Edited by Zak M

Guest Delete Me

Closing the schools (I work in a secondary with 1000 students, 150 staff) will happen eventually but I do think we are nowhere near that stage yet. Advice we receive from PHE / DfE is one of business as usual.

The problem is childcare, it's bad enough when we close because of snow because parents just cannot get anybody to look after their kids, so the knock on effect down the line is tremendous.

Posted

I've Highlighted new/increases in areas since yesterday in Bold and have removed those with 0 confirmed cases

Table of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in England

These data are as of 9:00am on 8 March 2020.

Upper Tier Local Authority           Number of confirmed cases

Barnet 4   Barnsley 2   Birmingham 1   Bolton 2   Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole 2   Bracknell Forest 2   Bradford 1   Brent 3   Brighton and Hove 7   Bristol, City of 2   Bromley 1   Buckinghamshire 1   Bury 3

Camden 2   Cornwall 3   Coventry 3   Cumbria 5

Derbyshire 4   Devon 12

Ealing 5    Essex 5

Gloucestershire 3

Hackney 2   Hammersmith and Fulham 2   Hampshire 8   Harrow 1   Hertfordshire 13   Hillingdon 1   Hounslow 3

Isle of Wight 1

Kensington and Chelsea 8   Kent 4   Kingston upon Hull, City of 1   Kingston upon Thames 1

Lambeth 3   Lancashire 4   Leeds 3   Leicestershire 1   Lewisham 3   Lincolnshire 1   Liverpool 4   Luton 2

Manchester 5   Medway 2   Merton 1   Milton Keynes 1

Newcastle upon Tyne 3   North Tyneside 1   Northamptonshire 4   Nottingham 2   Nottinghamshire 3

Oldham 2   Oxfordshire 5

Peterborough 1

Redbridge 1

Somerset 2   Southend-on-Sea 1   Southwark 3   Staffordshire 4   Surrey 5   Swindon 2

Tameside 1   Torbay 6   Tower Hamlets 1   Trafford 4

Wandsworth 3   Warwickshire 3   West Sussex 3   Westminster 3   Wigan 3   Wiltshire 3   Wirral 1   Wokingham 3

York 3

Awaiting confirmation 20

Note: Data may be subject to delays in case confirmation and reporting, as well as ongoing data cleaning.

Counts for Isles of Scilly and City of London are combined with Cornwall and Hackney respectively for disclosure control.

Source:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
9 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

No, I wouldn't. The small minority of people at risk should take care of themselves not 97.5% of basically healthy people not at risk 

What do you suggest for these people? They can’t go out and nothing can be delivered because of the risk of infection? What about those in care homes? Do they have to overthrow and forcibly remove the staff and barricade the doors?

Surely if everyone takes precautions and make adjustments now then the consequence would be far less than if everyone went blindly on and resulted hundreds of thousands or even millions being infected at once? Not to mention the fact that 10% become critically ill, no healthcare system could cope and this would lead to a lot of needless deaths, and not just from the virus those resources would not be present to treat other illnesses or accidents either.

• Like 6

Guest Delete Me
2 minutes ago, Zak M said:

What we need to know is which strain has affected each individual country and in what numbers, which age group etc....all data that unfortunately we won't know for a few months.

You would think that Germany with 0 deaths has the S strain and Italy has the L strain, you can have both though as a patient in the USA discovered.

Who knows!
Edited by Delete Me

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But when they catch it, go home to their parents, their grandparents will catch it, and in any case it does kill young people as well, just not that many.

Yes, and staff there should really be thought about as well, because there will be some of them who WILL be at higher risk for sure.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Closing the schools (I work in a secondary with 1000 students, 150 staff) will happen eventually but I do think we are nowhere near that stage yet. Advice we receive from PHE / DfE is one of business as usual.

The problem is childcare, it's bad enough when we close because of snow because parents just cannot get anybody to look after their kids, so the knock on effect down the line is tremendous.

Perhaps it would actually be a good thing now if we had a really brutal cold spell now with widespread heavy disruptive snowfall so people would be forced to quarantine, anyway why would the parents be still able to get to work if their kids cannot get to school, is it because of teachers wanting a little extra time off and blaming it on health and safety?

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

• Like 2

Posted

Guest Delete Me

Schools closing because of snow solely comes down to the safety of students and the % of staff to students.

For Covid-19 if they close schools the parents will still be at work.

Posted

The problem with closing Schools is that most parents will fob their kids off on the grandparents (if they have any) in order to continue going to work regardless of how ill the kid is.... perfect combination there for increasing the exposure of the elderly....

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Good thing for Spain is that this week there is a nice little heatwave arriving for some parts which will hopefully kill off some of the virus.

No chance of that here - 

image.thumb.png.3657db046cb3ada83ef9b1b49a6501bc.png

• Like 1

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Perhaps it would actually be a good thing now if we had a really brutal cold spell now with widespread heavy disruptive snowfall so people would be forced to quarantine, anyway why would the parents be still able to get to work if their kids cannot get to school, is it because of teachers wanting a little extra time off and blaming it on health and safety?

"Research about why some viruses are seasonal has been largely centred around those that cause the flu, a disease long associated with winter months. “Flu season” generally lasts from October to April or March. Scientists have a number of theories for why that is.

Some suggest it’s closer quarters—to escape the cold weather, people cluster indoors, where human-to-human transmission becomes more likely. To understand why northern latitudes see an uptick in flu cases during winter, researchers have looked at how the virus spreads in different temperature and humidity levels.

And relatively recent research suggests that dry, cold air may also help viruses stay intact in the air or travel farther as they become airborne.

One of the first studies to test how environmental conditions affect viral transmission was published in 2007, and it looked at how influenza spread through guinea pigs infected in a lab. High temperatures and in particular high humidity slowed the influenza spread, and at very high humidity levels, the virus stopped spreading completely. Warmer air holds more moisture, which prevents airborne viruses from travelling as far as they would in dry air. In humid conditions, the small liquid droplets in a cough or sneeze gather more moisture as they’re expelled. Eventually too heavy to stay airborne, they drop to the ground.

Studies outside the lab show similar results, though some tropical regions have more cases of flu during rainy season, when people also cluster indoors.

Scientists hypothesise that low humidity, which often occurs in winter, might impair the function of the mucus in your nose, which your body uses to trap and expel foreign bodies like viruses or bacteria. Cold, dry air can make that normally gooey mucus drier and less efficient at trapping a virus."

coronavirus-heat.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Flu season generally subsides in April and March, but will the coronavirus go with it? Past coronavirus outbreaks can offer...

• Like 6