IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
10 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Simple answer. Dont buy it.

Exactly!

Perhaps if toilet rolls were about this price a pack (or perhaps lower) then they wouldn't be running out so quickly!

• Like 1

Posted

If for whatever reason you use a face mask how do you sterilise it?  Wack in the microwave and give it a blast if there is no metal pieces involved I suppose. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Back to toilets I'm afraid. I don't flush my toilet paper, I can't because the very old drains around the house can't cope with it. The pipes are ceramic and the rough patches in places cause the paper to catch, creating a blockage. When we first moved in we had two blockages that were extremely difficult and unpleasant to clear and we stopped flushing paper after that. My paper goes in a toilet bin in a bag and then into the main household waste. This is a very common practice in France where small pipe diameter can also be problematic. This is also the case in other countries. This means that there is lots of potentially infected material moving around if, as we suspect, COVID-19 can spread via faecal matter.

Greece and Greek islands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Spikecollie said:

Back to toilets I'm afraid. I don't flush my toilet paper, I can't because the very old drains around the house can't cope with it. The pipes are ceramic and the rough patches in places cause the paper to catch, creating a blockage. When we first moved in we had two blockages that were extremely difficult and unpleasant to clear and we stopped flushing paper after that. My paper goes in a toilet bin in a bag and then into the main household waste. This is a very common practice in France where small pipe diameter can also be problematic. This is also the case in other countries. This means that there is lots of potentially infected material moving around if, as we suspect, COVID-19 can spread via faecal matter.

And we moan we have it bad in Britain and lord France and other EU countries for being forward thinking and more modern in way of life and more health conscious than us.

Guest Delete Me
Just now, Snipper said:

If for whatever reason you use a face mask how do you sterilise it?  Wack in the microwave and give it a blast if there is no metal pieces involved I suppose. 

Alcohol of a high proof, boiling water, wash cycle at 90c

Posted

I think the lockdown will work but it's going to get a lot worse there before it gets better. It's going to be 2 weeks before we see improvements from the lockdown. Until then cases will rise by the thousands every day in Italy. If countries are being honest with themselves, regions that see cases of 50+ per day need to go on lockdown 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

To help the nhs we need to move to the next stage too slow the spread.

At the present time, there still does not appear to be sustained community transmission, so a keep calm and carry on approach is probably still the right one.

The second we see sustained community transmission (and we will, containment is a pipe dream, always was) then yes, i think significant measures must be taken straight away to avoid a situation like northern Italy. No mass public events, sport played behind closed doors, school/uni closures in communities where transmission is confirmed. We are going to have to weather an epidemic, it is unavoidable, so totally shutting the country down is not useful, but significant measures to allow the NHS to cope are essential.

• Like 4

Guest Delete Me
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Why not microwave?

Depends on the material used in the mask, definitely no to a mask with a plastic filter.

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Alcohol of a high proof, boiling water, wash cycle at 90c

Wash cycle at 90 like when you wash whites like t-towels etc will almost certainly kill all germs but there is one problem, its will shrivel the mask completely and render it unusable, i once did it with my shower curtain because i couldn't get the mould off, result - still have no shower curtain 4 years later.

Guest Delete Me

Some more information on London cases:

London Borough    Number of confirmed cases

Barking and Dagenham    0
Barnet    3
Bexley    0
Brent    0
Bromley    1
Camden    2
City of London/Hackney    2
Croydon    0
Ealing    5
Enfield    0
Greenwich    0
Hackney/City of London    2
Hammersmith and Fulham    1
Haringey    0
Harrow    1
Havering    0
Hillingdon    1
Hounslow    3
Islington    0
Kensington and Chelsea    6
Kingston Upon Thames    1
Lambeth    2
Lewisham    2
Merton    1
Newham    0
Redbridge    1
Richmond upon Thames    0
Southwark    1
Sutton    0
Tower Hamlets    0
Waltham Forest    0
Wandsworth    2
Westminster    2

Awating clarification in UK    14

Edited by Delete Me

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Depends on the material used in the mask, definitely no to a mask with a plastic filter.

Ok some plastics are affected by microwaves and distort/melt if an extended blast is given. Others don’t. A mask that has been used is moist the moisture is boiled off giving high temperatures that would kill virus. Worth experimenting with as a possible option.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Microwave will not help. Sterilisation would normally be done by autoclaving (steam at very high temps and pressures) or by irradiating with suitable UV light.

If it is a mask capable of actually blocking viral particles, then it's one use only.

If it is the simple cotton oral hygiene mask, then you could stick it in an old fashioned pressure cooker, or at least give it a good boil in a pan. Those masks don't offer much in the way of protection against airborne particles, but do probably stop you rubbing your face and eyes.

• Like 1

Posted

Putting places like Milan and other places on lockdown temporarily in my opinion is a good idea.

This helps gain control of the virus and it allows us to gather new information, like how the cases rise in the area when it's on lockdown.

I expect other places in the UK to be on lockdown too if the virus takes a significant rise in the country.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, swebby said:

Microwave will not help. Sterilisation would normally be done by autoclaving (steam at very high temps and pressures) or by irradiating with suitable UV light.

If it is a mask capable of actually blocking viral particles, then it's one use only.

If it is the simple cotton oral hygiene mask, then you could stick it in an old fashioned pressure cooker, or at least give it a good boil in a pan. Those masks don't offer much in the way of protection against airborne particles, but do probably stop you rubbing your face and eyes.

Bit academic as I don’t have any suitable masks. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Paul Faulkner.  Just seen this update, so either no increases in covid19 or they are clarifying yesterday’s figures?  Doesn’t really make sense for there to be no increase in 24 hours

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Blacksmiths.  Probably secured doors from the outside. 

The Heat from the forges would have probably kept the fleas at bay/killed them off 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Why not microwave?

Microwaves simply bring water to a boil, as longwave radiation, they do not have any sterilising properties above and beyond the ability of making something very wet, very hot.

UV light (and other short wave radiation) can sterilise things as they have sufficient energy to disrupt chemical bonds and so break proteins, DNA, etc apart.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
22 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

You should all follow this guy for updates on Iran, the situation is out of control

https://twitter.com/aliostad

Thanks for this. I've read through it and situation is diabolical. It makes my blood boil, it seems health care experts are working with there hands tied behind there backs! And the rulers of these countries are more concerned about spending there budgets on military personal, and nuclear weapons production! What chance do normal people have, when they face these circumstances every days of there lives!! Thank god for the UK is all I can say! My heart really goes out to these people who have to suffer like this. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Putting places like Milan and other places on lockdown temporarily in my opinion is a good idea.

This helps gain control of the virus and it allows us to gather new information, like how the cases rise in the area when it's on lockdown.

I expect other places in the UK to be on lockdown too if the virus takes a significant rise in the country.

Personally I can't understand how it can be classed as a 'lockdown' where there's still commercial airlines flying into and out of the airports in the 'lockdown' area.  Check Flight radar.....

fr24_logo_twitter.png
WWW.FLIGHTRADAR24.COM

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted
6 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Seems strange that ‘people’ were boycotting Chinese food when this first broke but no-one is boycotting pizza takeaways now..... just saying 

Yes, it might be a good idea but really you are guessing, there might be a chinese restaurant where someone has recently been back to china, there could be another one where the whole family have migrated and no-one in their family has ever been back to china, but i suppose you can't really ask before ordering a meal 'Have you been to china recently?' as it just isn't the done thing, but the difference with pizza's though is they are like McDonalds, It isn't like just because Pizza's are their national dish, how many Italians do you ever see managing or working in a Dominoes pizza shop, like with McDonalds, How many American's do you see working there? - a big fat zero.

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

They tried a lot of things in the north of Italy before this latest lockdown, it's a tightening as opposed to something new. Schools and unis have been closed for weeks in some parts.

Agree they have already been through numerous measures, but it was evident that community transmission had been happening for some time at the start of the outbreak so the horse had already bolted.

The UK's cases are still predominantly people that have been abroad or have been found through contact tracing/self quarantine. The second "unaccountable" cases present in sufficient numbers, then it's a different ball game and I hope the measures i describe will be in enacted with immediate effect.  The random testing the government has introduced is a really good measure, it is the canary in the coal mine and will hopefully allow the UK to avoid an initially unnoticed outbreak.

Edited by swebby
  • Like 1