Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
5 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I now have far less freedom of movement than I did 2 months ago, so my life is more controlled than it was. Moreover, if I get ill abroad this year, my EHIC card will entitle me to treatment free of charge. Next year, however...

Yes I’m still trying to discover what exactly the EU managed to enforce on people that was so objectionable! All the apparent rules that people want rid of but can’t name one when you ask them. Anyway I’ll say no more about this after all the drama of the politics thread ! 

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Anyway I’ll say no more about this after all the drama of the politics thread ! 

Yes probably best.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Given the consistent numbers requiring emergency care from this virus (around 10%), you can see why so much effort is now being done to contain the virus. The collapse of the healthcare system in the country could have drastic implications for the number of lives lost.

Regarding the EU, it is probably a level of unnecessary bureaucracy, when essentially individual nations will need to take the necessary steps, when the time is right. Frankly time is something we don’t have here when it comes to reacting to outbreaks of this virus.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

The next time anyone tells you it’s only 0.000001 of the population, send them this. 

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 hours ago, emax said:

This is my stand on it too.

Soooo many people just blame the government for anything. People need to take some responsibility. Yes, you can certainly blame governments for some things, but to blame them for all the deaths, ridiculous!

Indeed emax.

When this whole thing originally kicked-off I was critical of our government's lack of advice (I still believe they should have spoken sooner); but, since then, I think they've handled the situation rather well, TBH. And, as others have already pointed-out, it's hardly the government's fault should certain folks insist on going to a football match (or, for that matter, to act like utter muppets and buy shed-loads of sanitisers and loo rolls!) as if nothing has happened?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

It’s somewhat telling that while people in the US are stockpiling weapons and ammunition, people in the UK are panic buying bog roll, pasta and teabags. :oldsmile:

• Like 9

Posted
Just now, Yarmy said:

It’s somewhat telling that while people in the US are stockpiling weapons and ammunition, people in the UK are panic buying bog roll, pasta and teabags. :oldsmile:

Lots of differences with humankind.  Not a racist comment is it?

Posted
8 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Italy is about to lock down the Milan region, 16m people until April 3rd. It looks like they are copying the China model.

On the subject of discussion earlier I do think that travel bans should have been issued to those with an Italian, Chinese, South Korean or Iranian passport to delay things another few weeks however despite complaints I have been pleased with the government response in general. Advise has been clear, they have set out a plan and we begun mass testing earlier than most. There’s little point in the idea of daily messaging, it’s not the governments job to money coddle people who won’t listen to advise and stop panicking.

With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, of course...But so many folks were, at the time, telling us all that COVID-19 was less lethal than ordinary seasonal flu...?

IMO, we can't have it both ways!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
8 hours ago, Paul Faulkner said:

You have to explore the theory that as an island nation we are not going to see the explosion of cases that Italy, Germany, France and Spain are seeing. Being a landlocked mainland EU country you are are linked together in terms of business, movement of people, transport, economy etc far easier and greater than the UK is to EU countries. 

47 cases on Friday and 42 cases today, maybe its the weekend factor slowing case numbers down as I was expecting a jump to 60+ new cases today or just maybe the big body of water called the English Channel is allowing us to delay or even control the outbreak.

Only time will tell and the next few days are critical, If we still under 400 cases by Wednesday then I will consider this a success.

I'd think exactly the opposite with the huge cities here with their international airports as entry points?

The trickle of cases , the back end of the week just gone, is surely signaling an explosion in cases over the coming 2 weeks?

If the Wuhan Whistle blower's R0's are 'ball park' then each patient will be infecting at least 10 others ( he had R0 as 'R=16.7?)

How many folk infected if we move 5 moves down that line of infection?

Well patient zero infects 10 so move 1 is 10

Those ten each infect ten so 100 for move 2

Each of those infect 10 more so 1,000 on move 3

Then onward we go with that thousand each infecting 10 people so, move 4 = 10,000 new 'spreaders'.....

Then we get the final of the 5 layers from patient zero with 10,000 folk infecting 10 folk each...... (as I've said Wuhan Dr's R=16.7 so this example should be bigger still?

In reality some of these 'spreaders' will be your barista, your lunch server, your bus driver, bar man....... they will be 'super spreaders' with access to tens of potential folk to infect over each day of the 'up to 14 days' that they are 'asymptomatic' and then maybe they slog in as symptoms begin to manifest (not being able to afford to live without 'work'?)

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

From what we know for every 2 cases we see there is a potential for 8 others to slip through unnoticed (yet spreading all the while?)

If we are over 200 'known cases' then that 'WAS' a lot of spreaders out there right now not showing symptoms/suffering bad symptoms?

Then surely there is a potential for areas to have just 'asymptomatic spreaders' in among them? More likely that than a spreader who then presents to health workers?

So, many folk, including some in here, are already infected and just asymptomatic for a few more days before spiking symptoms?

EDIT: Well my family now have all I had to offer  with regard equipment/disinfectant and incl a 'brush up for my kids', nearly 18 and 20?, on 'barrier medicine' and how to wear,wash/dry masks daily?) 

Now we wait.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

The situation in Italy I would have thought might have an impact on the British public and others across Europe .

Thats what can happen if things go badly wrong .

It only takes some errors in security protocols to enable the virus to get out of control which seems to be what happened in northern Italy.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Germany have reported 52 new cases

Total now 847 and 0 deaths

In this in the space of 12 or 24 hours ?

Seems to be a decrease of infections?

Posted
Just now, Skullzrulerz said:

In this in the space of 12 or 24 hours ?

Seems to be a decrease of infections?

I think they have more than one update a day like France.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Czech PM has called for  Italy to ban its citizens from traveling around Europe during the outbreak

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, of course...But so many folks were, at the time, telling us all that COVID-19 was less lethal than ordinary seasonal flu...?

IMO, we can't have it both ways!

Government has acknowledged it from the start, they just listened to the liberals in the who who praise China for quarantine while on the other hand pandering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Been up all night sorting my bathroom out. 

88320780_194681331814729_4505063936340525056_n.thumb.jpg.90dd1d40c4ee80c2f712fd1fa517134e.jpg

That's not enough toilet rolls! You need at least 500 more!! 

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Government has acknowledged it from the start, they just listened to the liberals in the who who praise China for quarantine while on the other hand pandering.

So, it's 'liberals' who're causing COVID-19 to spread...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Iran have suspended all flights to Europe until further notice

Iran has been forced to by European countries saying no entry.....but doesn't know the reason for this.!!!

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Amazing

Plenty of loo roll in our local Tesco express this morn. And they're stocked up with liquid soap, paracetemol, calpol, etc. No sign of panic buying according to staff in there. All seems calm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 3

Posted

The in-laws are on a cruise ship off Miami currently. We're a little concerned what with cruise ships and the coronavirus. Late last night, the phone rings.

Us: "Hi, are you ok? Is the ship infected?"

MIL: "No, no infections onboard currently, all is fine".

Us:"Phew!"

MIL: We were just wondering...if you pop to Tesco in the morning, could you pick us up some toilet roll? It's all everyone is talking about on the ship.

US: "uh.......ok..."

Hysteria over lack of liquid soap and hand gel is perfectly reasonable but this hysteria over loo roll will be talked about by social anthropologists forever.

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 7