Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

Not posted on this topic before so apologies if its all been said.

It is unbelievable to me that our government, that of the US and the EU have acted so slowly and allowed this to become a true pandemic without any real containment in place. It seems the decision was made (probably between global leaders) early on to allow it to go straight to the delay phase. 2 weeks ago 350 cases in Northern Italy, no travel restrictions, there still isn't. Flights are still coming in from China / Iran / Japan etc, no monitoring at UK airports or ports.

Today's large gatherings such as football matches will only have made matters worse?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

The advice from the club is stupid .  If you have symptoms over the next 24 hours get tested!   there’s an incubation period before that which could be upto two weeks . So the club is making the situation worse .

Yep the club have been told this info on there page.

Can't believe this guy would be so selfish and play football etc while waiting on test results.

• Like 2

Posted

To put things n perspective here..

On Feb 27th Italy had 132 cases

On march 1st Italy had 1500 cases

Today they have nearly 6000 cases and 10 million people are about to be quarantined ..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
11 minutes ago, booferking said:

This is the team they played the day only down the road from me just announced it to.?‍♂️

Screenshot_20200307-221816_Facebook.jpg

I was going to make a joke about the team name but this is a very serious thread so I'll refrain from jokes for now on.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

To put things n perspective here..

On Feb 27th Italy had 132 cases

On march 1st Italy had 1500 cases

Today they have nearly 6000 cases and 10 million people are about to be quarantined ..

So its taken them 9 days to jump up that many cases, looks like France and Germany are about 5 days behind Italy...can only imagine we are probably 3-4 days behind France/Germany.

• Like 2

Posted

So I did some basic maths and they predict around 70 percent of us at least to get infected with this before I guess it burns itself out.

That’s roughly 46 million people.

if you take Whitty’s CFR of 1 percent, that’s 462,000 deaths in the UK.

if you take the optimistic 0.5 South Korean CFR then it’s 231,000 deaths.

even if you adjust it all the way down so it matches the common flu it would be 42,000.

This is going to be staggeringly awful and historic whatever happens.

• Like 6

Posted

Some of the government plans look fine , some however look unlikely to work and seem to be more cynical in nature to look good to the public! 

At least they’re not asking us to pray away the virus ! Or be locked and loaded ready to shoot our way to redemption ! 

So 7/10 and compared to the lunacy in the USA 10/10.

I’ve had to edge the score down on reflection to 6.5/10 , but still not bad and Macron in France needs to up his game !

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
27 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

It is unbelievable to me that our government, that of the US and the EU have acted so slowly and allowed this to become a true pandemic without any real containment in place. It seems the decision was made (probably between global leaders) early on to allow it to go straight to the delay phase. 2 weeks ago 350 cases in Northern Italy, no travel restrictions, there still isn't. Flights are still coming in from China / Iran / Japan etc, no monitoring at UK airports or ports.

Today's large gatherings such as football matches will only have made matters worse?

I don't understand it either. Dangerous game they're playing here. People will simply not forget deaths of friends and family that could have been prevented.

The people I've spoken to have mentioned China and how it's 'their fault' too. In the eyes of a large section of the public, China will be a pariah state.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, emax said:

What's lies?

Seriously does this need to be explained? The Gvt are not doing enough, yes we do not have a lot of cases.... yet, but don’t let it be a false sense of security. We aren’t even screening at airports they are in Africa it is so lax. I read some are impressed by our handling of this, the plan is to keep things running as usual...schools staying open etc but we know with the virus it is not possible to get this under control without drastic measures. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I don't understand it either. Dangerous game they're playing here. People will simply not forget deaths of friends and family that could have been prevented.

The people I've spoken to have mentioned China and how it's 'their fault' too. In the eyes of a large section of the public, China will be a pariah state.

The only positive I can see is that the numbers are staying low in the southern hemisphere with the warmer weather so maybe the onset of Spring will reduce some of the impact?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Daniel* said:

Seriously does this need to be explained? The Gvt are not doing enough, yes we do not have a lot of cases.... yet, but don’t let it be a false sense of security. We aren’t even screening at airports they are in Africa it is so lax. I read some are impressed by our handling of this, the plan is to keep things running as usual...schools staying open etc but we know with the virus it is not possible to get this under control without drastic measures. 

I agree, unless more drastic action is taken, we could end up being one of the worst affected countries by the time this has blown over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Let's let 'Historian's deal with all that guys?

Aren't we better served with the 'What If?' practicalities of looking after neighbours homes, helping with child care, helping supply those 'isolated' with supplies? (& showing just 'WHY' they should do 'the same' for you,if needed,........ downstream?)?

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I agree, unless more drastic action is taken, we could end up being one of the worst affected countries by the time this has blown over.

It is something no countries want to do, but the way it evolves it leaves really no option. First it was Wuhan, then South Korea now Italy, more European countries will undoubtedly be forced with making these very hard decisions. France is likely next..... Germany not looking so pretty either. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I think it’s all relative in comparing government responses . The UK is doing okay compared to many other countries . The proof will come though if they have to make harder decisions .

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Surely the public should have some semblance of self awareness with this too? I know a lot of people are paying attention, obviously buying medicine and food etc (too much in some cases) but what about those going to football matches and other large gatherings? Surely there should be some culpability to individuals?

I wouldn’t go to go to a football match this weekend, then have symptoms of the infection and then blame the government. I understand the current risk - if I place myself in a vulnerable position where I might be at risk, I have no one to blame but myself, yes?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Screening for what exactly?

And no country with a good/large economy is going to shut the place down until there are large numbers/clusters. You may not like it, and I know plenty of people would liked to have seen the country completely shut down and cut off weeks ago, but that just isnt going to happen, not to any country with a large economy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lottiekent said:

Surely the public should have some semblance of self awareness with this too? I know a lot of people are paying attention, obviously buying medicine and food etc (too much in some cases) but what about those going to football matches and other large gatherings? Surely there should be some culpability to individuals?

I wouldn’t go to go to a football match this weekend, then have symptoms of the infection and then blame the government. I understand the current risk - if I place myself in a vulnerable position where I might be at risk, I have no one to blame but myself, yes?

This is my stand on it too.

Soooo many people just blame the government for anything. People need to take some responsibility. Yes, you can certainly blame governments for some things, but to blame them for all the deaths, ridiculous!

• Like 3

Posted
53 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

"Acted so slowly"? What would've been your plan of action?

Posted
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think it’s all relative in comparing government responses . The UK is doing okay compared to many other countries . The proof will come though if they have to make harder decisions .

I don’t want to hear words, I want to see action! That concerns me a lot of U.K. is leading the way??? However, I’d much rather be here than USA, appalling what’s going over there. I really do not think we are prepared for a big epidemic, but can any country be completely? The main issue is we do not take aggressive measures early enough, see with Italy over 1,000 cases today the final straw for them but will it be as effective now?

And the deafening silence from Brussels don’t get me started......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

This is a 'Novel' coronavirus to humans.

When 'whatever' 'blend of 'Wuhan,N.Italy,Iran, S.Korea' settles in a Nation/cluster, it will rapidly 'drift' within that 'region/cluster'?

It's new here and just 'settlin' in?, figuring us out?

We appear to have aided, as a planet, in offering access to as many 'bags of warm moisture', wherein to 'drift & recombine', as we could have once the virus was free of Hubie?

Our 'International Airport Housing', tube/overland/bus connected, 'metropolises' (with 'HUGE' inflow and 'OUTFLOW' of folks?) had better begin to start to realise that it IS circulating among us now?

Edited by Gray-Wolf