Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

BNO Newsroom

@BNODesk·48s

NEW: Italy will issue a decree later tonight with new measures to stop coronavirus, according to Reuters. Local media says new areas will be put on lockdown.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The messaging around that I accept has been clear but that’s not enough .

I’m afraid it needs to be a bit more stark now  . That way people in the UK who do end up in hospital have the best chance of a good outcome .

It’s not clear enough I use tube daily and there’s been no advertisement or hand gel ‘stations’ provided. We are walking into this like nothing is going on.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Some projections to the end of March:

Europe

EShg56OXQAAp8MT.thumb.jpg.85fd8f644ad7d08c896d1403fa81a041.jpg

World  excluding China

EShgyZ8XQAE3CzX.thumb.jpg.f6d4050fb8f5d93a10636806e94eed89.jpg

Middle East

EShhLtzX0AALQFR.thumb.jpg.7eae0815d666b7905071fd5e55419e71.jpg

Well Italy adding 1200+ cases today has already made the 1st day forecast a monster bust, even when not taking into account the other countries in Europe, many adding at least 40-50 on their own as well...looks like that may end up being somewhat short, at this rate Italy alone may not be far from that number!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Yeah, I should probably have mentioned that there's a big difference between hugging (where the virus tends only to be transmitted by breathing infected droplets on each other, which depending on the type of hug, can be relatively unlikely) and kissing (where you're likely to plant the virus on the other person's cheek, and mouth-to-mouth kissing is likely to directly pass it on).  Kissing could be a genuine contributor to the rate of spread of the virus in Italy, though as mentioned earlier probably not the relatively high death rate.

My local co-op store doesn't seem to have been decimated by panic buying as yet, though it may be a different story in Exeter city centre, I haven't checked out the main stores there as yet.

Co-op bog roll was pretty low friday, had to buy a 4 pack as there were no nine packs left, just temporary till i could get to tesco for a nine pack today, that wasn't panic buying though, i use about 1 roll a day anyway and buy a whole months ahead,, no other serious shortages in the co-op but the tesco has been decimated of soap, handwash and painkillers, i wonder if people are that stupid that they actually think the latter will stop you dying, if you do get the illness then you don't need 300 paracetamol!!   -   it won't last any longer any than a regular flu unless you get serious complications in which case you'll be in hospital anyway by that stage.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Nick, the messages here in UK have been quite clear for a number of weeks about hygiene, etc.

Granted, the NHS would struggle under 000s of severe cases. 

I suspect France, Italy, Germany are feeling the pressure, almost disbelief, because their healthcare systems are known as best in Europe.

Will share this (consent agreed between the two of us). I just had a chat with my doctor who was visiting my neighbour. Doctor, utterly exhausted, came in for a cup of tea - typical day - surgery 0800-1200 house calls 1200-2000 weekdays), just finished today at 1800. He said everyone who has a sore throat/sniffle is panicking about having COVID-19. It is making life hell and could stop real patients presenting. No protective wear as promised by the government, just him and his surgery diagnostics.

Our healthcare system is among the best in the world but we can't keep up the defenses forever...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

We live in a village -8 miles from nearest towns, 8 miles from nearest supermarket.  We both work from home, within the valley so don’t tend to do more than a weekly or at the most twice weekly shop.  I also shop for elderly clients.    We have a collective group who buy bulk  whole foods and other goods from Suma Wholesale on a quarterly basis and our last order was February, so house already stocked to the gunnels with toilet paper, flour, oats, dried lentils beans etc (toilet paper will come in handy...), tinned tomatoes, tinned coconut milk, Oatly Milk etc.  Also buy local half lamb and pork.  Bake own bread anyway.  So supermarket purchases mainly cat food, milk, wine, and tinned fish. Still have chard, beets and kale in garden, some harvested winter squash and a goodly few onions. Thank heavens for this mild winter (hush yo mouff to say that in Netweather!). There is a spar in the village, but it makes sense to use it only if we need to.  There are many people here who need it more than we do.  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It’s not clear enough I use tube daily and there’s been no advertisement or hand gel ‘stations’ provided. We are walking into this like nothing is going on.

Unless train hand rails are being sterilised several times a day there is going to be an explosion of cases across London and the Home Counties. Give it a week.

• Like 4

Posted

I finished my ‘panic buying’ today. I’ve been building up a stockpile since about mid February when I saw this thing gaining real severity.

Im also hopeful of getting hold of some Chloroquine as a last resort which is what I believe the hospitals in South Korea, China and Holland are using to treat patients with decent success.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
4 minutes ago, snefnug said:

We live in a village -8 miles from nearest towns, 8 miles from nearest supermarket.  We both work from home, within the valley so don’t tend to do more than a weekly or at the most twice weekly shop.  I also shop for elderly clients.    We have a collective group who buy bulk  whole foods and other goods from Suma Wholesale on a quarterly basis and our last order was February, so house already stocked to the gunnels with toilet paper, flour, oats, dried lentils beans etc (toilet paper will come in handy...), tinned tomatoes, tinned coconut milk, Oatly Milk etc.  Also buy local half lamb and pork.  Bake own bread anyway.  So supermarket purchases mainly cat food, milk, wine, and tinned fish. Still have chard, beets and kale in garden, some harvested winter squash and a goodly few onions. Thank heavens for this mild winter (hush yo mouff to say that in Netweather!). There is a spar in the village, but it makes sense to use it only if we need to.  There are many people here who need it more than we do.  

Just like ,me. The freezer and larder (bottled fruit) is stocked with the produce of last year. Plenty of baking capacity. Our local shop is a lifeline too.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I finished my ‘panic buying’ today. I’ve been building up a stockpile since about mid February when I saw this thing gaining real severity.

Im also hopeful of getting hold of some Chloroquine as a last resort which is what I believe the hospitals in South Korea, China and Holland are using to treat patients with decent success.

What is it and where can i get it? what does it do?

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Anti malarial.... 

panic buying is so so stupid..... 

lowest common denominators 

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It’s had some success in trials in China but I’m not sure when the doctors administered it from reading the article .

It helped reduce fever and lung problems . It’s a very old drug been around for decades to fight malaria.

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The UK government aswell as all other European countries including here in France need to spell out the message clearly now and tell the public in no uncertain terms you need to act now and everyone must use precautions .

Otherwise a lot more people are going to die needlessly . Governments need to stop this narrative that their health systems are so marvelous that they can cope whatever.

This is now giving people a false sense of security . Time to be straight with people .

Well yes, the NHS is apparently pulling out all stops now in view of the global crisis.  

Why were ill patients left lying in corridors previously due to insufficient staffing, bed availability and inadequate social care?

Edited by ciel
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
4 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Anti malarial.... 

panic buying is so so stupid..... 

lowest common denominators 

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

I can accept food and then doing the sensible thing and staying in to be fair, panic buying at least means people are taking it seriously but it has to be targeted buying with a level of intellect and not reckless. you know what will happen when this is all over, you will have people moaning they cannot afford their rent or mortgages and will blame everybody else that they now have a cupboard with 1k's worth of stuff that is now unsellable.

• Like 3

Posted

18 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It's an anti-malarial and also used to treat auto-immune diseases such as arthritis and lupus as it act's as an immuno-suppressant.  So if you do get some DON'T use it straight off the bat, this is being used in severe cases where the immune system itself starts to go into a cytokine storm to try and bring it back under control. 

The very last thing you want to do is to hamper your immune system whilst it's working correctly....

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 7

Posted
11 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Just like ,me. The freezer and larder (bottled fruit) is stocked with the produce of last year. Plenty of baking capacity. Our local shop is a lifeline too.

It is great for likes of us who have a garden and are into homely cooking type stuff but many due to upbringing and living in a flat might not have the same advantages. Possibly a bit late now to say get baking and gardening.  Unfortunately a lot of the younger generation couldn’t see the need to have backup skills. The take away is only round the corner so why worry?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Cases by region

• East of England | 16 (+5)
  • London | 38 (+9)
  • Midlands | 17 (+5)
  • North East and Yorkshire | 18 (+5)
  • North West | 26 (+4)
  • South East | 30 (+4)
  • South West | 25  (+3)

To be determined | 14 (-1)

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Zak M said:

Not to worry Trump has it sorted with his biggly cure ! And he won’t start worrying till it effects red states.

His comments yesterday regarding the cruise ship have shocked even those who are used to him . 

So he wants people on the cruiseship to stay there and be sitting targets as bringing them onshore might mean they get added to the USA total .

He likes the current USA statistics and that’s that ! Nothing not even a boat load of desperate people are going to be allowed to change those !

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Well , After finishing a long day at my current store I can say it has been a lot busier but apart form toilet roll and Sanitiser we are are pretty well stocked . it was bizarre when I went to a corner shop and they had loads of toilet roll etc .

Unfortunately when I returned home my wife had left for the doctors as my youngest has breathing issues and has been unwell for a more than a week . She has a history of having bronchitis and has just been referred to accident and emergency, The GP has said this is not Coronavirus and that he wouldn’t send he le their if he thought that was the case , so that’s good I suppose .

Here is a pic of my store . And one of the newsagent about an hour ago .the first 3 are my store the last 2 the newsagent .

42DD0AAB-BC17-4C4D-9D4D-0ED5A172656F.jpeg

D03AC6F9-903B-4F2F-A74F-E6D218FB590E.jpeg

67466257-4920-4DA5-854B-9F73A2C82B65.jpeg

E49EE907-D0ED-4A5F-9CDD-3141151FCFC4.jpeg

BB212FC8-80FB-4377-8176-1C5EED3D4FC6.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
45 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

It's really easy. Despite being in France, the best country for bread in the world (IMO) I like to bake. I like to add dried or fresh fruit and nuts. PM me if you want a really simple talk through if things get difficult and you need to bake. I'll help anyone with anything when I have time, so you might have to wait a while during the week when I am helping others for work...

Yesterday was dried tomato and cheese panini rolls. Today a loaf.  I use a breadmaker but usually only to make the dough.  So little hassle. Wack in the ingredients and a couple hours or so later you get a nice bucket of dough.  Dollop it out for a knock back and then make into a loaf or rolls. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Breaking: France have reported 336 new cases and 5 new deaths in the last 24 hours.

Total of 949 and 16 deaths.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3