Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

The Alsace situation highlights the problem of mass gatherings .

Especially when they’re not just a local type event . If you get something where people then return to lots of different areas of a country it’s much harder to trace their contacts .

You also in effect end up dropping cases of the virus into areas that didn’t have any .

And then if they travelled there by public transport the situation is even worse . 

I think it’s clear now that these types of close contact events in an enclosed space like churches etc could turn into virus hotspots , even worse if they’re an event which has people from across the country going to.

The fact that the COE and others across Europe refuse to think of their collective responsibility is appalling IMO.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I bought three bags of flour, i'll make bread if I'm unable to buy any.....surely everyone can bake bread???

Don't buy bread, when the til sales assistants scan them they always seem to pick them up by the top, so therefore any bread you get out will touch a potentially infected part, i suppose you could dettol wipe them  but you might end up ingesting dettol then when you get the bread out, stick to frozen food as cooking anything properly pretty much guarantees killing any of these type of flu or cold like viruses. always wash your hands without using the hand you have just used to put the food in the oven to turn the tap on afterwards though.

• Like 3

Guest Delete Me

Iranians seeking help in hospitals for corona virus.

"We estimate that 30 to 40% of Tehran's population will be infected with COVID-19 by March 20," says Dr. Massoud Mardani, member of Iran's National Influenza Committee.

Tehran population: 12 million.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Ia lready eat loads of oily fish per week and Mylo has sardines with every meal! Should suffice...

3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Don't buy bread, when the til sales assistants scan them they always seem to pick them up by the top, so therefore any bread you get out will touch a potentially infected part, i suppose you could dettol wipe them  but you might end up ingesting dettol then when you get the bread out, stick to frozen food as cooking anything properly pretty much guarantees killing any of these type of flu or cold like viruses. always wash your hands without using the hand you have just used to put the food in the oven to turn the tap on afterwards though.

Make my bread as well but always put it in one of those free plastic bags. Not to avoid the virus until now.  Just to avoid any leaking. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Donegal said:

No words

skynews-coronavirus-hand-gel_4940673.jpg
NEWS.SKY.COM

Products like hand gel and handwash are being sold at inflated prices on sites like eBay and Amazon.

They are selling carbolic soap for around £1.00  per bar...that stuff is awesome

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Donegal said:

Don't get the fascination with bulk buying toilet roll. Are people expecting an epidemic sat on the toilet? 

Exactly its not like a vomiting and diharrea like bug like norovirus, its a flu-type bug, just more life threatening

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Percentage of deaths by age group in Italy

• 90+ years old: 6% 
  • 80 - 89 years old: 42% 
  • 70 - 79 years old: 35% 
  • 60 - 69 years old: 16%
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
26 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Looks like the Alsace religious festival has infected a huge amount of people . This doesn’t look like simply one carrier super spreading .

There are far too many cases popping up now and something has gone seriously wrong there .

The latest case is a women from the Bearn region who after attending the festival went skiing for a week in the Hautes Alpes , apparently she came into contact with many other skiers .

To make matters worse she returned by bus to the Bearn . Authorities are now searching for anyone who was on that bus and had close contact with her .

Given the huge amount of people at that festival and the likelihood that they were from across France this looks likely to further increase the spread .

An unaccounted and uncontained potential spread. No record of attedndees as I said earlier. A bizarre scenario - I hope they are praying to their deity, not just for themselves but for the rest of us...

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Donegal said:

2,500 attended that gathering? So even today a similar event could take place as the ban is just for 5000+. Frustratingly stupid 

Yes it’s a nonsense . 

On a different issue . What many seem to be overlooking if the spread is kept low then the NHS and other health providers in other countries  will be able to provide the best treatment .

If those become overwhelmed then the fatality rates will go up.  There simply won’t be the resources to provide the best care to all those who need it .

Unless people are in denial then surely they must realize the catastrophe in northern Italy isn’t just down to a bunch of old people ! The system is overwhelmed .

• Like 2

Posted

Never seen the local tesco as packed on a lunchtime as it was on Thursday, went to check my phone to see if i had woke up late and it was 4 O'Clock but then realised about 90% of them were aged around 70 and knew why, streets were like a ghost town, but problem is for them is they will still have to go out every week so because people of that age group are addicted to tea, and milk doesn't have a long shelf life, you know how it is with older people, lets just check if my bladder has fallen below the 3 gallon level, yes it has - put the kettle on!

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

You need to up vitamin C levels and follow an Indian diet rich in tumeric, garlic, ginger, ginseng etc

I would also start taking star anise due to the antiviral properties of thymol, terpineol and anethole.

Too much Vit C and meds say it goes straight through you. Added prob in that case is the loo roll 'shortage'

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Donegal said:

No words

skynews-coronavirus-hand-gel_4940673.jpg
NEWS.SKY.COM

Products like hand gel and handwash are being sold at inflated prices on sites like eBay and Amazon.

If people are buying it at these prices they probably need to dial 111. Seek medical help immediately.

• Like 3

Posted

The UK government aswell as all other European countries including here in France need to spell out the message clearly now and tell the public in no uncertain terms you need to act now and everyone must use precautions .

Otherwise a lot more people are going to die needlessly . Governments need to stop this narrative that their health systems are so marvelous that they can cope whatever.

This is now giving people a false sense of security . Time to be straight with people .

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
31 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I bought three bags of flour, i'll make bread if I'm unable to buy any.....surely everyone can bake bread???

It's really easy. Despite being in France, the best country for bread in the world (IMO) I like to bake. I like to add dried or fresh fruit and nuts. PM me if you want a really simple talk through if things get difficult and you need to bake. I'll help anyone with anything when I have time, so you might have to wait a while during the week when I am helping others for work...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

If people are buying it at these prices they probably need to dial 111. Seek medical help immediately.

Yep, to be honest i don't really worry about that, its a business deal at the end of the day, none of my business if the are prepared to pay that much, must have more money than sense, the cheaper alternative is just to remember not to touch their face then wash properly when they get home, fair enough if we end up with no washing materials at all, in that case we are screwed but you can still buy alternatives right now like anti-bacterial fairly liquid, that will do just as good as handwash, also if you put sanitizer on your hand before you go out, are you really going to trust it and still touch your nose and face anyway, its only like a goalkeeper that stuff in case you forget, the real protection is common sense, that said, if i can get my hands on a little bottle this week i will invest, but no way would i spend 30, 40 or 50 quid on stockpiling it.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The UK government aswell as all other European countries including here in France need to spell out the message clearly now and tell the public in no uncertain terms you need to act now and everyone must use precautions .

Otherwise a lot more people are going to die needlessly . Governments need to stop this narrative that their health systems are so marvelous that they can cope whatever.

This is now giving people a false sense of security . Time to be straight with people .

Nick, the messages here in UK have been quite clear for a number of weeks about hygiene, etc.

Granted, the NHS would struggle under 000s of severe cases. 

I suspect France, Italy, Germany are feeling the pressure, almost disbelief, because their healthcare systems are known as best in Europe.

• Like 1

Posted

I did my bulk buying at the start of February thankfully. Saw this situation coming a mile off.

I popped to my local Morrisons for some fresh produce just now and it was packed. No toilet rolls or hand soap, pasta aisle decimated, people standing looking at shelves in disbelief saying "what are we gonna do now?".

Sadly it's gonna be like this for a while, until supermarkets manage to catch up....feel bad for those that have been caught out by it and don't have access to Amazon (who are still well stocked at the moment but that may not last long).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, fujita5 said:

I did my bulk buying at the start of February thankfully. Saw this situation coming a mile off.

I popped to my local Morrisons for some fresh produce just now and it was packed. No toilet rolls or hand soap, pasta aisle decimated, people standing looking at shelves in disbelief saying "what are we gonna do now?".

Sadly it's gonna be like this for a while, until supermarkets manage to catch up....feel bad for those that have been caught out by it and don't have access to Amazon (who are still well stocked at the moment but that may not last long).

I would have done the same but i can't afford to.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
21 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Don't get the fascination with bulk buying toilet roll. Are people expecting an epidemic sat on the toilet? 

The mind bog rolls...

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Nick, the messages here in UK have been quite clear for a number of weeks about hygiene, etc.

Granted, the NHS would struggle under 000s of severe cases. 

I suspect France, Italy, Germany are feeling the pressure, almost disbelief, because their healthcare systems are known as best in Europe.

The messaging around that I accept has been clear but that’s not enough .

I’m afraid it needs to be a bit more stark now  . That way people in the UK who do end up in hospital have the best chance of a good outcome .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

True but as long as when you get home you sanitise everything intelligently without touching face first then you're ok, kissing is a guaranteed pass on.

Yeah, I should probably have mentioned that there's a big difference between hugging (where the virus tends only to be transmitted by breathing infected droplets on each other, which depending on the type of hug, can be relatively unlikely) and kissing (where you're likely to plant the virus on the other person's cheek, and mouth-to-mouth kissing is likely to directly pass it on).  Kissing could be a genuine contributor to the rate of spread of the virus in Italy, though as mentioned earlier probably not the relatively high death rate.

My local co-op store doesn't seem to have been decimated by panic buying as yet, though it may be a different story in Exeter city centre, I haven't checked out the main stores there as yet.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2