Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

3rd case in French Parliament, another deputée.

• Like 3

Posted

First case reported in dept 64 and yet another linked to that religious festival in Alsace.

Looks like that festival is going to be responsible for sending cases to all parts of France and areas that previously had none ! 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Main updates so far today

• Iran: 1,076 new cases - 21 new deaths
  • South Korea: 274 new cases - 4 new deaths
  • France: 103 new cases - 2 new deaths
  • Spain: 98 new cases - 5 new deaths
  • Netherlands: 60 new cases - 0 new deaths
  • Belgium: 60 new cases - 0 new deaths
  • Switzerland: 54 new - 0 new deaths
  • UK: 42 new cases - 0 new deaths

Germany 156 new cases - 0 new deaths

Total 795

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
16 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Could be because Italians love hugging and kissing, they are very intimate.

Just picking up on this regarding the death rate in Italy, one counterargument to that is that firm handshakes can often be more effective at transmitting viruses than hugging because of the hand to hand transmission of germs, and the British culture requires people, especially men, to shake hands regularly.  I also doubt that hugging and kissing, or handshaking for that matter, would account for an above average death rate from the virus, it would rather help account for a higher rate of transmission.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Just been to do the weekly shop in Sainsburys and Pasta, tinned goods, flour, cleaning products were all pretty much empty.

This was toilet paper:

88986523_510272359874860_4123045866879582208_n.jpg

Or lack of it. I've just been to my trusty local shop. People don't panic like townies here and I was able to buy a pack of 12 rolls to do me for the next week or so in addition to what I haveand there is loads left. I also bought and dropped in a smaller pack for one of my clients.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Just picking up on this regarding the death rate in Italy, one counterargument to that is that firm handshakes can often be more effective at transmitting viruses than hugging because of the hand to hand transmission of germs, and the British culture requires people, especially men, to shake hands regularly.  I also doubt that hugging and kissing, or handshaking for that matter, would account for an above average death rate from the virus, it would rather help account for a higher rate of transmission.

True but as long as when you get home you sanitise everything intelligently without touching face first then you're ok, kissing is a guaranteed pass on.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Or lack of it. I've just been to my trusty local shop. People don't panic like townies here and I was able to buy a pack of 12 rolls to do me for the next week or so in addition to what I haveand there is loads left. I also bought and dropped in a smaller pack for one of my clients.

blimey, i always have the runs and even i wouldn't consume 12 in a week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I have 13 rolls of bogroll...and, in case that gets stolen in a raid, a packet of Immodium!

• Like 6

Posted

Since we neither got snow nor sunshine this winter, add some cod liver oil capsules to your shopping lists.

Vitamin D and Protective Immunity

Vitamin D has been used (unknowingly) to treat infections such as tuberculosis before the advent of effective antibiotics. Tuberculosis patients were sent to sanatoriums where treatment included exposure to sunlight which was thought to directly kill the tuberculosis. Cod liver oil, a rich source of vitamin D has also been employed as a treatment for tuberculosis as well as for general increased protection from infections[7].

There have been multiple cross-sectional studies associating lower levels of vitamin D with increased infection. One report studied almost 19,000 subjects between 1988 and 1994. Individuals with lower vitamin D levels (<30 ng/ml) were more likely to self-report a recent upper respiratory tract infection than those with sufficient levels, even after adjusting for variables including season, age, gender, body mass and race[8]. Vitamin D levels fluctuate over the year. Although rates of seasonal infections varied, and were lowest in the summer and highest in the winter, the association of lower serum vitamin D levels and infection held during each season. Another cross-sectional study of 800 military recruits in Finland stratified men by serum vitamin D levels[9]. Those recruits with lower vitamin D levels lost significantly more days from active duty secondary to upper respiratory infections than recruits with higher vitamin D levels (above 40nmol). There have been a number of other cross-sectional studies looking at vitamin D levels and rates of influenza [10] as well as other infections including bacterial vaginosis[11] and HIV[12-13]. All have reported an association of lower vitamin D levels and increased rates of infection.

pmc-logo-share.png
WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

It is now clear that vitamin D has important roles in addition to its classic effects on calcium and bone homeostasis. As the vitamin D receptor is expressed on...

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Just been to do the weekly shop in Sainsburys and Pasta, tinned goods, flour, cleaning products were all pretty much empty.

This was toilet paper:

88986523_510272359874860_4123045866879582208_n.jpg

Sorry, forgot to add to earlier post. WTF are people doing with flour? Are they suddenly going to start baking or will they eat it like porridge? Mllaahh...

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Gael_Force said:

Since we neither got snow or sunshine this winter, add some cod liver oil capsules to your shopping lists.

pmc-logo-share.png
WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

It is now clear that vitamin D has important roles in addition to its classic effects on calcium and bone homeostasis. As the vitamin D receptor is expressed on...

Ia lready eat loads of oily fish per week and Mylo has sardines with every meal! Should suffice...

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I have 13 rolls of bogroll...and, in case that gets stolen in a raid, a packet of Immodium!

Best thing to stop you having the runs is concrete.

• Like 3

Guest Delete Me

You need to up vitamin C levels and follow an Indian diet rich in tumeric, garlic, ginger, ginseng etc

I would also start taking star anise due to the antiviral properties of thymol, terpineol and anethole.

Edited by Delete Me

Posted

7th death from Diamond Princess cruise ship, and we know for definite that’s nearly 1% of cases. We don’t know the average age on the ship though!

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me

Eyewitness in Qom has spoken to BBC Persia:

1. No protective gloves, masks, alcohol in any drug store
  2. Everyone knows a close relative/friend who has died of COVID19
  3. City is very quiet
  4. Many still go round with no protection potentially infecting others

Some more info on Iran:

• A reporter on the ground in Qom, is reporting of severe shortage of protective supplies and the hospital had to use the black market supply them. Nurses and doctors threatening to resign en masse.
  • Numbers frankly make no sense - Gilan with all these issues reported only 494 cases? But if we take it as face value, situation in Mazandaran province (neighbouring Gilan) is becoming critical: 72 -> 121 -> 301 -> 606
  • 41% of affected #COVIDー19 cases in Kerman province are the medical staff!
  • Situation is critical in Gilan. Authorities are now talking about possibility of using force to keep people indoors.
Edited by Delete Me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Revised update for today

• Italy: 1,247 new cases - 36 new deaths
  • Iran: 1,076 new cases - 21 new deaths
  • South Korea: 274 new cases - 4 new deaths
  • Germany 156 new cases - 0 new deaths
  • France: 103 new cases - 2 new deaths
  • Spain: 98 new cases - 5 new deaths
  • Netherlands: 60 new cases - 0 new deaths
  • Belgium: 60 new cases - 0 new deaths
  • Switzerland: 54 new - 0 new deaths
  • UK: 42 new cases - 0 new deaths

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like the Alsace religious festival has infected a huge amount of people . This doesn’t look like simply one carrier super spreading .

There are far too many cases popping up now and something has gone seriously wrong there .

The latest case is a women from the Bearn region who after attending the festival went skiing for a week in the Hautes Alpes , apparently she came into contact with many other skiers .

To make matters worse she returned by bus to the Bearn . Authorities are now searching for anyone who was on that bus and had close contact with her .

Given the huge amount of people at that festival and the likelihood that they were from across France this looks likely to further increase the spread .

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

You need to up vitamin C levels and follow an Indian diet rich in tumeric, garlic, ginger, ginseng etc

I would also start taking star anise due to the antiviral properties of thymol, terpineol and anethole.

Always visiting our local Asian supermarket in ashton ASM always great and much cheaper than supermarkets for fresh veg and herbs and spices..... make curries in various forms three times a week... have done for the last twenty years.... turmeric, ginger, cumin, galangal, coriander, lemongrass, cayenne pepper, and chilli ? 

• Like 3

Guest Delete Me
3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Always visiting our local Asian supermarket in ashton ASM always great and much cheaper than supermarkets for fresh veg and herbs and spices..... make curries in various forms three times a week... have done for the last twenty years.... turmeric, ginger, cumin, galangal, coriander, lemongrass, cayenne pepper, and chilli ? 

Good on you mate - im moving more into using natural ingredients too due to their health benefits and anti viral properties too

Edited by Delete Me

Posted
23 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Sorry, forgot to add to earlier post. WTF are people doing with flour? Are they suddenly going to start baking or will they eat it like porridge? Mllaahh...

I bought three bags of flour, i'll make bread if I'm unable to buy any.....surely everyone can bake bread???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

BNO Newsroom

@BNODesk·30s

BREAKING: New York Governor Cuomo declares state of emergency due to coronavirus