Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
11 minutes ago, emax said:

I think it was the CMO who said its about waiting for cases to be high, but not too high, before we react. For the sake of the economy (which affects everyone, not just those prone to this virus), I agree with him. As I keep saying, its a fine line to walk. I understand those that think they will get this virus because of underlying issues are worried, and wanted the country shut down weeks ago, I do understand why you hold that opinion, honestly I do. BUT, for the 80-90% of the population who arent at risk of being affected severely, their jobs and livelihoods need to be considered too!

I also agree with this, however the big warning signs is that we've now got three countries that have had to deal with a very rapid and explosive uptick in severe cases, plus SK (who have done very well it seems) so we've got plenty of evidence that this can ramp up quickly, nearly exponentially if left alone. Italy was 132 cases just 10 days ago, now sits at nearly 7,500, and thats with already some measures going into place.

The more countries that go into the 0000s, the less likely it becomes that we don't equally join them given how much of a global player we are in terms of economic activity. My gut, is give it a week and we will also be where France and Germany are now and probably begin to implement harsher social deterrents to avoid a Italy/Iran/Wuhan situation from occuring 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, booferking said:

Would it be possible mild strain was floating about late last year mutated in china to severe strain that we are seeing now?

No, it is distinct from other coronaviruses even mild type we would have known folk get blood work tested all the time a mutation doesn’t drastically change its core makeup. All those saying they think they had in autumn/winter, you didn’t a lot of nasties spread around cooler months, in December I was struck by something flu-like, hit me for six for 4 days, fever, persistent cough I recovered just in time for Xmas...

“Genetic analysis early in the outbreak of COVID-19 in China revealed that the virus was similar to, but distinct from, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), but the closest genetic similarity was found in a coronavirus that had been isolated from bats.”

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30374-3/fulltext

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

I have to admit, even as an advocate of free movement within Europe at all times, that this is a little weird. I wonder how many people have landed in the UK or France by sea air or other means, from Italy with no intervention...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

It’s not Spanish flu  .

The life care situation is terrible but as soon as I see Spanish flu in a tweet that really ruins what might otherwise be an important report for credibility .

Worth remembering that the Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 2%...whilst I understand the argument about under-reporting, we are currently globally in terms of cases recovered above that mark, so whilst clearly extreme, as a worst case, its not as totally outlandish as it sounds.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I did have a bug 2 weeks ago today but it wasn't coronavirus, did a lot of heavy lifting and walking and felt shattered around this time of night, suddenly a flu-like aches and pains scenario came on - really suddenly, felt really bad and took 3 paracetamol, killed the pain no problem - no chest problems at all, the only similarities with flu or coronavirus was the aches and pains, wen't to bed, woke up feeling sick around 4 am, vomited the most i ever have at one time, went back to bed, didn't feel completely right for another 48 hours but by about 12pm on monday it was just irritating me - just felt weak, wasn't at all worried by then that it was going to do me any proper harm. I actually think it was the 3 paracetamol that made me sick, probably overreacted to aches and pains and probably should have stuck to the recommended dose, don't think it was norovirus as although i did have the runs as well, all the gastrointestinal problems were over too quickly for that, walked 2 miles at 3pm on the monday. doubt i would have done that if it was norovirus, sure it wasn't coronavirus.

Can’t help thinking an awful lot of those posting on here are an unhealthy crowd. Need to have a new thread of “who  has had the grottiest symptoms”.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Spikecollie said:

I have to admit, even as an advocate of free movement within Europe at all times, that this is a little weird. I wonder how many people have landed in the UK or France by sea air or other means, from Italy with no intervention...

Wouldn’t they at least scan their temps. It only gets those who have a temp but better than nothing .

• Like 1

Posted

Who on here would report the fact they had some similar symptoms to Coronavirus but did not feel at deaths door? Obviously taking action to isolate themselves. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Morning Rain said:

That school is less than half a mile away from me. Yikes.

Make sure to keep away from the local shops where all the kids hang 'round and make a nuisance of themselves, only takes one kid to have it in the group to pass it onto everyone going in/out.  

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Worth remembering that the Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 2%...whilst I understand the argument about under-reporting, we are currently globally in terms of cases recovered above that mark, so whilst clearly extreme, as a worst case, its not as totally outlandish as it sounds.

Regardless Spanish flu was over a 100 years ago . The media just like the name because it terrifies people . I’m hardly one to not be taking this seriously but I would be shocked if the overall CFR was above 1% .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I did have a bug 2 weeks ago today but it wasn't coronavirus, did a lot of heavy lifting and walking and felt shattered around this time of night, suddenly a flu-like aches and pains scenario came on - really suddenly, felt really bad and took 3 paracetamol, killed the pain no problem - no chest problems at all, the only similarities with flu or coronavirus was the aches and pains, wen't to bed, woke up feeling sick around 4 am, vomited the most i ever have at one time, went back to bed, didn't feel completely right for another 48 hours but by about 12pm on monday it was just irritating me - just felt weak, wasn't at all worried by then that it was going to do me any proper harm. I actually think it was the 3 paracetamol that made me sick, probably overreacted to aches and pains and probably should have stuck to the recommended dose, don't think it was norovirus as although i did have the runs as well, all the gastrointestinal problems were over too quickly for that, walked 2 miles at 3pm on the monday. doubt i would have done that if it was norovirus, sure it wasn't coronavirus.

Feb you should take care with those pain medications, especially being a drinker! And I ask this question to all on here.... Are any of you feeling worse the more this virus spreads? The more you read up on it, the more you listen to the horror stories! I suffer with general anxiety disorder, meaning I can feel I have every complaint going, and if I haven't got it now, I soon will. If I had a quid for everytime I've mentally suffered a heart attack, a hemorrhage, a stroke, you name it, I would be now richer than president donald.. I ask this because when you become extremely stressed out, and if this is on top of working hard, and gym work, running, whatever your poison... You can very often feel like you have the onset of flu... When the nervous system tires, you can basically feel like bolied crap.. Worth taking into consideration when your stressing all day. Most of us will remain well when all is said and done. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Just now, nick sussex said:

Wouldn’t they at least scan their temps. It only gets those who have a temp but better than nothing .

Instead of sitting there 'waiting'' to know Covid-19 is rampant outside should we not begin our 'safe practices' routines before we really NEED to?

And just think on ways of 'Slowing the speed of your infection'  when it comes?

Buy your body some time and 'purge' those Covid-19 'Nurseries' daily!

Be well folks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

should be going to a massive dance off competition, all schools in Bedforshire. It's the East finals before the nationals. 

wish me well.

@Mattwolves  I am not having any panics about this virus at all, but reading ok to dead in a few hours, i'm sure would worry anyone not just us with anxiety.

Oh my.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Regardless Spanish flu was over a 100 years ago . The media just like the name because it terrifies people . I’m hardly one to not be taking this seriously but I would be shocked if the overall CFR was above 1% .

I agree, I personally think this is probably more like the Hong Kong 68-69 outbreak (0.5 CFR - 1 million deaths) however it really is just a pure guess isn't it, the fact no one really knows is probably fueling some of the crazy panic buying we are seeing.

Could end up fading away as soon as we reach May, or it may continue to blow up across the world, who knows!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

I totally understand that, however on the other hand you could easily infect other elderly people at such an event as a funeral and inadvertently lead to deaths yourself if you are suspect.

Not an easy call to make of course and something that would probably need to be decided by the person dealing with the situation. I don't think we are yet at the point where that needs to be discussed, at least in this country.

Also, yeah the Italy version of this disease does seem to be more intense, as does the Iran strain. They both broke out at very similar times as well, so wonder if they are both connected somehow?

60% of the entire Muslin population of Italy lives in the north.  Wouldn't take much of a leap of the imagination to consider that it originated from Iran and was imported there via returning/traveling pilgrims/family members.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Feb you should take care with those pain medications, especially being a drinker! And I ask this question to all on here.... Are any of you feeling worse the more this virus spreads? The more you read up on it, the more you listen to the horror stories! I suffer with general anxiety disorder, meaning I can feel I have every complaint going, and if I haven't got it now, I soon will. If I had a quid for everytime I've mentally suffered a heart attack, a hemorrhage, a stroke, you name it, I would be now richer than president donald.. I ask this because when you become extremely stressed out, and if this is on top of working hard, and gym work, running, whatever your poison... You can very often feel like you have the onset of flu... When the nervous system tires, you can basically feel like bolied crap.. Worth taking into consideration when your stressing all day. Most of us will remain well when all is said and done. 

Yes, I suffer with GAD myself and feel like sxxt most days!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Yeah I have general anxiety and I know all this constant reading and researching is unhealthy but I can’t help it and it’s fascinating from a purely historical POV.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
11 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Probably 100%.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Something, at least that. Meanwhile, nothing new on local news

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Can’t help thinking an awful lot of those posting on here are an unhealthy crowd. Need to have a new thread of “who  has had the grottiest symptoms”.

To be honest i am an alcoholic but only had 2 and a half cans of 9% lager that day and given i had about 20 alcoholic drinks in around 28 hours on xmas / boxing day and wasn't sick, i think i can safely say it wasn't the alcohol that did it, but apart from alcohol, my flu count has only been around 4 times in last 10 years and common cold count about the same, although epstein-barr virus (probably) once as well and the odd feverish mild stuff, since i stopped going clubbing and less interactive, i havent really had that much - not compared to my clubbing days when i must have had the flu god knows how many times.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Yeah I have general anxiety and I know all this constant reading and researching is unhealthy but I can’t help it and it’s fascinating from a purely historical POV.

Me too on both counts I'm afraid.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
16 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

When you see stuff like that, how can you not feel that the government has already decided to let this spread?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I know wrt to the drugs because i have already a significantly damaged liver, think it was paracetamol with liver damage that made me sick to be honest, and the aches and pains were separate and probably what you were saying.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

When you see stuff like that, how can you not feel that the government has already decided to let this spread?

The cynic in me believes they want it to decimate the population - things like this alongside Boris’ smug ‘take it on the chin’ comments on TV.

Why? Not sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Is that on the basis that Scotland might get there through the Euro league?

No it's just for the last 16 tie at Hampden, wouldn't know who it is until the groups are finished. 

• Like 1