Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

I had to laugh .

Was looking at a French News site and one of the headlines below all the coronavirus stuff was a poll regarding the much heated debate regarding pain au chocolat or chocolatine! They’re both the same thing .

The earth shattering news is that 84% of French people always ask for the former , 16% for the latter .

For those desperate to know I ask for a pain au chocolat.

The chocolatine is IMO some attempt by bakeries to stick a posh sounding name onto a French staple .

Anyway I just thought I’d share that . Life goes on even amidst the coronavirus crisis! 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

What we saying here that it been here months ago when was the very first case in china?

What some are saying is that they had it, it didn't kill them, and no one else that they came into contact with died or needed an ICU bed.

Make of that what you will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes it was notable. Notable for the lack of mucus and the sheer fact that the dry cough would physically make you heave and gag. There were a couple of mornings at it's peak where I was gasping for air whilst coughing, each breath I took was making me dry cough more. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if the lesser strain has been around for some time.

I remember having a really rotten flu back in late Spring 2009, not pleasant at all. Looking back now I think it was highly probable I had Swine Flu given it exploded globally throughout the Spring. 

Quite possible it has been circulating for a while and just wasn't noticed until it went nuclear in Wuhan.

Of course, people have a nasty habit of underestimating what the flu is like, especially if you've never had a real nasty dose of the flu, it will take you out of action for a couple of weeks.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

That's the one. Started with me Boxing day and reached a peak a few days later. 

Mine started a fe days before Xmas, what was different was no head cold as such, just slightly high temp, muscle aches, then a dry cough and as I do have a condition I need to take some 'preds' for about a week due to tightness of breath - But I stress nothing too serious but the obvious lack of anything from the nose was the unusual bit??

• Like 3

Posted

Don’t recall ever having had flu.  Don’t ever recall being knocked for six, which is part of my interpretation of flu symptoms.

Had plenty of snotty colds and a cough that has gone on for ages. 

Edited by Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, HighPressure said:

Mine started a fe days before Xmas, what was different was no head cold as such, just slightly high temp, muscle aches, then a dry cough and as I do have a condition I need to take some 'preds' for about a week due to tightness of breath - But I stress nothing too serious but the obvious lack of anything from the nose was the unusual bit??

Completely agree, was nothing like any 'cold' I've had before. The reason it sticks in my mind is because I thought it unusual at the time and I remember being paranoid I had pneumonia!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
50 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I had a upper respitory infection in October with a cough that lasted about 6 weeks....

I did to, late September early October, mostly sore throat related, dry cough, I'm not even sure now if there was ever an infection though, to spite getting antibiotics prescribed, need to ask about the chest xray results, I didn't as the doc couldn't hear anything on my lungs, and I felt better too quickly without bring anything up. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Completely agree, was nothing like any 'cold' I've had before. The reason it sticks in my mind is because I thought it unusual at the time and I remember being paranoid I had pneumonia!

I got about 3 containers in December from china for Christmas stock to.

• Like 1

What with COBRA tomorrow, I should think tomorrow night/Tuesday, all will be revealed with regards to the UK's next step.

I still personally dont think this is going to be as bad as some are saying, and in reality most people will probably not be affected other than a cough or fever etc, however, Italy is definitely concerning now (not because of the numbers per se, as there may be lots of mitigating circumstances we dont know about) but more because of the possible strain involved. But as with anything like this, unfortunately, all you can really do is ride the rollercoaster and react as and when (ie generally reaction is after rather than before). No one knew how big Italy's numbers would become. Now we do, its already far to late to make any huge difference. But as I've said before, a week or two ago, numbers outside China weren't all that high, so you wouldn't know where the next big outbreak would come from. The only way to protect against this, is to shut down all international travel, rather than specific countries. Doing this though, for a major economy, would be suicide, especially if you're the only country doing this. Switch it around........we shut the country down internationally 2 weeks ago, the virus doesnt spread, most countries end up with very small numbers and it becomes a non affair.....there'd be far more complaints about the government I can tell you, and it would of affected way more than the virus ever could of.

I think it was the CMO who said its about waiting for cases to be high, but not too high, before we react. For the sake of the economy (which affects everyone, not just those prone to this virus), I agree with him. As I keep saying, its a fine line to walk. I understand those that think they will get this virus because of underlying issues are worried, and wanted the country shut down weeks ago, I do understand why you hold that opinion, honestly I do. BUT, for the 80-90% of the population who arent at risk of being affected severely, their jobs and livelihoods need to be considered too!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

What some are saying is that they had it, it didn't kill them, and no one else that they came into contact with died or needed an ICU bed.

Make of that what you will.

Nobody is saying they had it. Please don’t put words in my mouth. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
25 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Sounds like you had it to be honest.

Thank you, Doctor Kildare!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, booferking said:

Would it be possible mild strain was floating about late last year mutated in china to severe strain that we are seeing now?

Seen some stories last week that the severe strain has eased down since January and the more common one since then is the milder strain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Would it be possible mild strain was floating about late last year mutated in china to severe strain that we are seeing now?

That's exactly what I'm wondering.

24 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Sheffield has got it's own bubble no cases here so far. Perhaps we should have road blocks and divert people around us......

A parent from a school just 1min round the corner tested positive early this week (his son tested negative, so they havent shut the school, just self isolated). The school kids all walk past my house at home time. I've already electrified the pavement to vaporise the little buggers as they walk past, just in case!

In truth, a local case doesnt bother me at all. You're probably just as likely to catch it from someone miles away whos in the area, as you are someone local. The parent probably lives miles away anyway. I understand it would be different for rural villages though, if there is just the one or two shops that everyone local uses!

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes. There were a few times I thought I was developing pneumonia. I was inches away from calling an ambulance on Christmas Day.

• Like 1

Posted

A 5% fatality rate in Lombardy overall means easily over 10% for those in the high risk groups which is horrific .

And that tallies with data out of China more specifically Wuhan the 5 highest underlying conditions ranged from 8% to 13% for CFR so if you average that out over 10% looks likely if you get that sort of overwhelming of health systems .

I think a more even spread of the virus puts less strain on local services . These cluster areas are the things other countries need to be especially wary of .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
2 hours ago, ArHu3 said:

well that assumes you can "not leave" your home for weeks

If you have stacked all the toilet rolls in front of your doors, you may have a problem.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I did have a bug 2 weeks ago today but it wasn't coronavirus, did a lot of heavy lifting and walking and felt shattered around this time of night, suddenly a flu-like aches and pains scenario came on - really suddenly, felt really bad and took 3 paracetamol, killed the pain no problem - no chest problems at all, the only similarities with flu or coronavirus was the aches and pains, wen't to bed, woke up feeling sick around 4 am, vomited the most i ever have at one time, went back to bed, didn't feel completely right for another 48 hours but by about 12pm on monday it was just irritating me - just felt weak, wasn't at all worried by then that it was going to do me any proper harm. I actually think it was the 3 paracetamol that made me sick, probably overreacted to aches and pains and probably should have stuck to the recommended dose, don't think it was norovirus as although i did have the runs as well, all the gastrointestinal problems were over too quickly for that, walked 2 miles at 3pm on the monday. doubt i would have done that if it was norovirus, sure it wasn't coronavirus.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

It’s not Spanish flu  .

The life care situation is terrible but as soon as I see Spanish flu in a tweet that really ruins what might otherwise be an important report for credibility .

• Like 4