Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There was a woman rang LBC, the other night, who's been self-isolating for a month already...A tad OTT?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swebby said:

I'm seeing lots of contradictory stuff about this.

This from the guardian

I’ve just returned from an affected part of northern Italy. I feel fine but I’m stuck at home. Will I still be paid?

Not necessarily, says Sarah Evans, an employment expert and partner at JMW Solicitors. Some people will come to an arrangement with their employer to work at home and they will paid as normal. “Increasingly, lots of employees can and will work at home. However, the problem comes if you work in a shop or a warehouse that requires your presence. The hard truth is that in this case your employer can send you home and is under no obligation to pay you. For a small company, having an unproductive member of staff sitting a home doing nothing on full pay will be a huge burden.”

Basically - if you are sick, you are entitled to pay, which seems straight forward. But if you are not sick but merely self quarantined then you are not? And looking after a child at home due to school closures then you are definitely not?

4638.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

What you need to know if you are told to self-isolate or your child is sent home from school

But you are reading it wrong. 

Headline: Will I try paid if I take sick leave? 

This isnt sick leave. You're not even sick. The Goverment has told you to self quarantine because you think you might have the virus. When you are tested, you didnt have it, your not sick at all, you just complied with the law. Not sure how else to spell it out?

Posted
34 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think most people would agree they were too slow to act in Wuhan , and again with the Japan cruiseship. 

As for the border it’s as I said pointless to close that unless you shut all ways for people to come and go  to Italy . And unless it’s a pan European decision then it wouldn’t work anyway.

The UK gov were slow to act in Wuhan? Lost me there.

Japan cruiseship? All countries quarantined it did they not?

Posted

Difficult balancing act for any supposed democratic country. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. 
Possibly we should let China take control.  Then there would be some moaning. Whatever happens the world wide economy will take a big hit

• Like 1

Posted

Norway has become the latest European nation to register a case of coronavirus.

The country's public health agency has confirmed the news.

The person returned from China late last week and has been isolated at home.

The person was unlikely to have infected others, the agency said.

Germany - Health Minister Jens Spahn has warned that Germany is facing an epidemic after five new cases were confirmed in the west and south of the country - bringing the national total to about 20.

Mr Spahn said the new cases could not be traced back to the virus's original source in China, meaning the disease appeared to be moving to a new phase.

But he warned against unnecessary panic and said German hospitals were well equipped to deal with any rise coronavirus patients.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
51 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Sorry Spike, but there can be no political ideal so sacrosanct that it overrides the lives of ordinary people, IMO...And if that means that I, me, myself need be confined, isolated, quarantined (call it what you will) and borders need be closed, then so be it...?

IMO, the COVID-19 virus may be one of those situations where politics need take a back-seat?

If you're going to say that Pete then you need to extend it to 'regions' of the UK surely?

If London's fecundity of international airports is anything to go by (plus tube?) then we should have an M25 exclusion zone and leave them all there to rot?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Gray-Wolf said:

If you're going to say that Pete then you need to extend it to 'regions' of the UK surely?

If London's fecundity of international airports is anything to go by (plus tube?) then we should have an M25 exclusion zone and leave them all there to rot?

If needs be Ian, then aye! Or even an exclusion-zone for Beccles? The one thing virologists do need, more than any other, is time?

• Like 1

Posted

Irony just last week people thought it was winding down limited transmission in Europe well now it is breaking out all over the place, suggests to me the virus has been amongst us for longer. We are just discovering it, it is flu season...

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Was on the tube today central and Victoria lines, packed in as normal! No stepping over heaps of bodies though.

Posted
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

Sorry Spike, but there can be no political ideal so sacrosanct that it overrides the lives of ordinary people, IMO...And if that means that I, me, myself need be confined, isolated, quarantined (call it what you will) and borders need be closed, then so be it...?

IMO, the COVID-19 virus may be one of those situations where politics need take a back-seat?

If borders were to be closed, the time to do it was weeks ago !!

The disease is well bedded in; just took time and serious cases to identify it from seasonal ailments.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Was on the tube today central and Victoria lines, packed in as normal! No stepping over heaps of bodies though.

Carry on and report back.....whilst you can.....

3 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

If borders were to be closed, the time to do it was weeks ago !!

The disease is well bedded in; just took time and serious cases to identify it from seasonal ailments.

So China shouldn't of bothered to do what they've done then? 

There's a lot of mixed signals in here lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Irony just last week people thought it was winding down limited transmission in Europe well now it is breaking out all over the place, suggests to me the virus has been amongst us for longer. We are just discovering it, it is flu season...

Did the experts say it was winding down? I havent seen anyone suggesting that it wont spread to other countries?

There's a difference between people saying "we dont know yet/it's probably mostly mild symptoms/will we get it as bad as other races etc", compared to "we're all going to die, stock up on tinned food and lock yourselves in for 6 months"

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Carry on and report back.....whilst you can.....

LOL, will do.

I think its already here, has been for some time, I just think its not a lot different to the normal winter lurgy .

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Out of interest how would you enforce such control? Pie in the sky?

Posted
6 minutes ago, emax said:

Did the experts say it was winding down? I havent seen anyone suggesting that it wont spread to other countries?

There's a difference between people saying "we dont know yet/it's probably mostly mild symptoms/will we get it as bad as other races etc", compared to "we're all going to die, stock up on tinned food and lock yourselves in for 6 months"

No, however the language has certainly changed from WHO with discussion of pandemic.

a lot has changed in Europe in last six days since Nick posted this: 

• Like 2

Posted

Agreed David but , as i'm sure you're aware, I had a big bug bear with folk dropping their 'autistic but fit as fiddle' kids off in Luke's school where there were plenty of very 'fragile' kids (incl Luke) without a thought?

Just because it's mild for you does not mean that the 7 people you give it to will fare as well as you?

• Like 3

Posted

Right, so that's me, my daughter, my son-in-law, my grandson and my granddaughter that have all gone down with flu-like symptoms, that have lasted for two-weeks...since D and SIL visited The University of East Anglia (with its returning Chinese students) three-weeks' back...

Night all...See y'all on the other side!

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

LOL, will do.

I think its already here, has been for some time, I just think its not a lot different to the normal winter lurgy .

Are you serious? This conronavirus has a death rate if around 2% and a serious I'll rate of around 20%? The common flu has a mortality rate less than 0.1 percent.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

This might be worth a watch later tonight.  Trump is downplaying the severity of the situation and is said to be "furious with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention over briefings given to the public and the resultant drop in the market due to panicking investors".  White House spokesman Judd Deere stated, ““Unfortunately what we are seeing today is a political effort by the Left and some in the media to distract and disturb the American people with fearful rhetoric and palace intrigue. The United States economy is the strongest in the world thanks to the leadership and policies of President Trump. The virus remains low risk domestically because of the containment actions taken by this Administration since the first of the year.”

Quotes are from the Washington Post.  Anyway it kicks off at 11pm.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Are you serious? This conronavirus has a death rate if around 2% and a serious I'll rate of around 20%? The common flu has a mortality rate less than 0.1 percent.

Not strictly true re flu mortality; see my post yday about flu-induced illnesses that then become main cause of death, e.g. flu-induced pneumonia.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Agreed David but , as i'm sure you're aware, I had a big bug bear with folk dropping their 'autistic but fit as fiddle' kids off in Luke's school where there were plenty of very 'fragile' kids (incl Luke) without a thought?

Just because it's mild for you does not mean that the 7 people you give it to will fare as well as you?

Yes GW you suffered tragic losses, I don't know what else to say really.

I have children and grandchildren and could probably worry myself ill about them, do to a point actually, but its a tough life down here and to be honest gangs/knife culture/drugs worry me far more than this virus. A bit off topic I know, and I hope I have not offended you in anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CharmlessMan said:

This might be worth a watch later tonight.  Trump is downplaying the severity of the situation and is said to be "furious with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention over briefings given to the public and the resultant drop in the market due to panicking investors".  White House spokesman Judd Deere stated, ““Unfortunately what we are seeing today is a political effort by the Left and some in the media to distract and disturb the American people with fearful rhetoric and palace intrigue. The United States economy is the strongest in the world thanks to the leadership and policies of President Trump. The virus remains low risk domestically because of the containment actions taken by this Administration since the first of the year.”

Quotes are from the Washington Post.  Anyway it kicks off at 11pm.

Good grief he really becomes more unhinged by the day . The WH is full of lunatics . With the latest paranoia apparently it’s a plot by the left and the media to trash the market . 

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Good grief he really becomes more unhinged by the day . The WH is full of lunatics . With the latest paranoia apparently it’s a plot by the left and the media to trash the market . 

He's as bad as the Iranian minister aka "Nothing to see here, it's all fake news and a personal attack on ME!!!111!!, now give me more money"

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 4