Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Guest Delete Me

Remember the videos I was posting from Wuhan in January where residents were on lockdown singing and shouting from their apartments?

Italy now:

Posted
18 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Italy report 250 new deaths and 2,116 new cases

Total cases 17,660 with 1,266 deaths

Deary me that is another very bad set of results, those deaths really are starting to mount up now from Italy. Hold their action can put a lid on this...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Am I the only one finding this all a bit surreal.

None of us have known this type of situation before. 

Yep - couldn't get any fish fingers in tesco, on a plus though biscuits a plenty - so nailed some - don't eat them normally as teeth perilously close to severe pai again - temporary filling still in after 2 years, people seem to be stockpiling the wrong stuff, you need some things that you can have even if your electricity goes, imagine if it gets so bad there is no-one to work for power suppliers.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I would say the WHO advisory flies directly in the face of the policy of the CMO in the UK..

There is a certainly a difference in methodology going on here.

Unis closing seems like they've had enough and are going to close regardless...however to be fair 18 year olds really should have some idea how to look after themselves if parents need to self isolate, so that shouldn't cause problems for the plan.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Deary me that is another very bad set of results, those deaths really are starting to mount up now from Italy. Hold their action can put a lid on this...

Italy now has 40% of the total deaths China accumulated, but with only 22% on the confirmed cases so far.

• Like 3

Posted

A lot of people have it all wrong, our approach means more will become infected not necessarily more deaths, during peak the elderly and vulnerable are expected to “cocoon” in their homes. Those younger and healthier will get it limited pressure on health system, and we will see herd immunity when a significant proportion of population gets it. I don’t think something like this has been done before, so it is an “experiment“, but it does make logical sense if you look into it.

Our approach also means the epidemic is not likely to be with us for as long as many countries... trust our experts! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Found the tweet. My mistake she said they are taking 40-year-olds off for 30s. The point still stand out seeing as we only have 1 40 year old death. Completely unsubstantiated and I panicked when I saw her tweet, no doubt loads of others would have too.

Why I don't tend to read tweets never really know if they are right or wrong, also off Facebook for now. There are some decent tweets worth following being posted here, from doctors involved in treatments and a sick one posting symptoms, I read those, but nothing sensationalist. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted

Seems to be getting a bit hyper on here. Don’t want anyone avoiding the chance of an infection by having a heart attack.

We can console ourselves that whatever we think will not make a jot of difference.  So no real change from  normal life.

Time for supper I think.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
30 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

We are the most advanced life form that has ever existed on this planet but how quick we are brought to our knees by something so tiny  and seemingly powerless to stop.

Whilst I really do admire your view of the human race, I can’t help but wonder, given the possible source of this virus outbreak, whether the human race can sometimes be rather stupid at times.  I guess the scientific post mortem on the source of the viral outbreak will reveal all.....  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

A lot of people have it all wrong, our approach means more will become infected not necessarily more deaths, during peak the elderly and vulnerable are expected to “cocoon” in their homes. Those younger and healthier will get it limited pressure on health system, and we will see herd immunity when a significant proportion of population gets it. I don’t think something like this has been done before, so it is an “experiment“, but it does make logical sense if you look into it.

Our approach also means the epidemic is not likely to be with us for as long as many countries... trust our experts! 

Higher # of infected means higher # of hospital admissions means higher # of deaths! Your idea doesn't work out at all i'm afraid. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

A lot of people have it all wrong, our approach means more will become infected not necessarily more deaths, during peak the elderly and vulnerable are expected to “cocoon” in their homes. 

Great theory, but to paraphrase what i heard from someone today "I was down M&S superstore (Near Farnborough) and the only people on there were elderly people".

Many won't cocoon, and some will get exposed by family, some by workers/carers/cleaners who have to come in, some because they travel to get their pension/food/send post/get money from the bank, some because they want to go out and talk to someone, etc.

Its a great logical theory, I'm not convinced in practice it will actually work as well as planned.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Yep - couldn't get any fish fingers in tesco, on a plus though biscuits a plenty - so nailed some - don't eat them normally as teeth perilously close to severe pai again - temporary filling still in after 2 years, people seem to be stockpiling the wrong stuff, you need some things that you can have even if your electricity goes, imagine if it gets so bad there is no-one to work for power suppliers.

I did a huge shop today . It’s a mix of some really healthy things and junk . I’ve decided to have healthy dinners and junk add ons , rather than just junk and more junk .

Loads of crisps and chocolate . I can’t seem to watch things like Netflix without snacking ,it’s a very bad habit ! 

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Italy report 250 new deaths and 2,116 new cases

Total cases 17,660 with 1,266 deaths

That's roughly one death every 5 min and 45 secs for the last 24 hours.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In the end whilst I disagree with the route taken. It was taken based on advice given by experts in the field, civil servants who should be able to work with whatever government is in changed in the event of something like this.

At this moment I believe that the measure taken are being on impartial advice from these people and not seeing experts forced to make conclusions to meet an economic agenda. We are all in this now for the long haul, and I personally wouldn’t place blame on the government if this unfolds badly.

I must add that this is as of this moment, there might be a juncture further down the line where the government  is completely accountable for the consequences, but this is not the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Seems to be getting a bit hyper on here. Don’t want anyone avoiding the chance of an infection by having a heart attack.

We can console ourselves that whatever we think will not make a jot of difference.  So no real change from  normal life.

Time for supper I think.

Reminds me of when a Beast from the east is showing on the models!

And like that, as you say, not a lot we can do about it...however in fairness this is probably the biggest global story in 70 years...so I suspect this is going to be a very busy thread.

• Like 1

Posted

I am intrigued. Other countries are going into forced lock down and closures ... Here, we are beginning to see voluntary lock downs and closures. Unis closing, museums closing, sports fixtures being postponed, London Marathon postponed etc. 

I have a feeling behavioural wise a voluntary action is better than a forced and thus means we begin to watch out for each other, not  being led or told, but we all become safer as we voluntarily begin to protect the vulnerable etc. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Good to see them getting on top of this, I think that will likely be followed by other countries in the next week or so as we get prepared.

I'm wondering whether the NHS is preparing for makeshift hospitals (not like Wuhan, but use buildings already in place). For example arenas could be a good idea, especially if they aren't going to be getting any concerts anytime soon. I know they used an arena in Wuhan.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

That is what I have been hoping.  If the people make the decision from what they are hearing so much  easier to control. A nudge police thought?

I've quietly wondered this myself. Are the government opening themselves up for all this flak for the greater good? Would be a nice thought, but very unusual. Excellent bit of social science if it were true.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I did a huge shop today . It’s a mix of some really healthy things and junk . I’ve decided to have healthy dinners and junk add ons , rather than just junk and more junk .

Loads of crisps and chocolate . I can’t seem to watch things like Netflix without snacking ,it’s a very bad habit ! 

But although i didn't get fish fingers (already got a few) and did get biscuits, the big big concern by far is did i get coronavirus? feel a bit ropey, hoping its just tiredness.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2