Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Continuous very heavy rain now. 27.5 mm of rain already today! Much more than forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Went out for a walk between 7-8 last night, and there was already frost on cars, and even some pavements; if I hadn't seen the forecast I might have expected a nice, frost this morning. However, as forecast, the cloud rolled in and the rain came.  And now a grey day with more rain likely.......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

One of those frustrating although common winter days when the alignment of showers would give a good dumping of snow if the uppers were favourable.

but there not and it’s plain old cold rain instead

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

What a vile day lots of rain in the forecast earlier on the school run there was some sleet mixed in with heavier rain.I see christmas week is still showing good potential we will see.

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Of all the weather I dislike, apart from rain & wind combined, it's has to be rain at low temperatures. Even worse when out on the bike; horrible, vile stuff. A few degrees colder and we'd likely get snow and that's never as bad. Friday was one of those days......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Stop now. Had 34.5 mm total.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
44 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Stop now. Had 34.5 mm total.

I saw a video before in Liverpool (L13) that showed major flooding and torrents of rainwater running down the road. It reminded me of those extreme downpours you get in the Mediterranean late summer.  There looks to be alot more coming your way too. For now, the main rainfall is missing here by a whisker, but it is still a showery wet day.

Also I've been looking at the radar animation, and this rainfall is behaving very similarly to lake effect precipitation.. in that it's most intense around coastal areas and just keeps on developing in that area. It's quite fascinating actually.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted

Persistent heavy sheet drizzle all day only brief less intense periods...we clop it bad when you get these brewing off the Irish sea with a W/NW wind..places to the south & east of the region wonder what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1

Posted

Well I’m quite far south here and the total is now 46.7 mm since 6 am! Got to be one of the wettest days of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
43 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Well I’m quite far south here and the total is now 46.7 mm since 6 am! Got to be one of the wettest days of the year.

Yeah that’s certainly a damp one

It’s been pretty wet here but not in that league.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes I meant more south east out of the region, places past midlands, Yorkshire etc... although to be fair it's pushed quite well inland but NW region still cops the heaviest of the precipitation from the Irish sea moisture generator.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, dodge said:

Yes I meant more south east out of the region, places past midlands, Yorkshire etc... although to be fair it's pushed quite well inland but NW region still cops the heaviest of the precipitation from the Irish sea moisture generator.

Oh yeah I see

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

It hasnt stopoed raining all day. Roads were getting flooded at one stage. My feet  are still drying out !! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Ridiculous rainfall today, some roads flooded.

Posted

Until Met office come on board really cannot get excited for Christmas week,the models look good but how many times have we been down this garden path or its watered down to nothing,without sounding greedy I'm not looking for a cm of slush I'm looking for a proper cold spell with ice,frost and snow on the ground that lasts more than a few hours.

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, dodge said:

Persistent heavy sheet drizzle all day only brief less intense periods...we clop it bad when you get these brewing off the Irish sea with a W/NW wind..places to the south & east of the region wonder what all the fuss is about.

Aye you off a WNW'ly, here off a NW'ly, streamer arrived here now, worst setup for here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Ridiculous rainfall today, some roads flooded.

Cheshire streamers very poorly modeled/forecasted, I expect lots of rain off NW'ly here, and other parts of the NW, never underestimated by me, knowing my area and the dreaded Cheshire streamer

Posted

Rain and sunless miserable murk all day.  Will not know total of today's rain till tomorrow morning when the manual gauge is checked.

At 9 this morning the annual total was 1882.7mm   --  Only 1984.0mm  (2012) to beat.    Looking very likely 2020  will be the wettest year over the last 50 yrs.     (We started daily recording here for Met Office in Sep 1968)

Everywhere sodden as in most of the year, except in the spring lockdown.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Heavy Rain most of the day that’s turned torrential at times in the past hour here in S Cheshire. Vile day  

Posted

Cheshire streamer in full swing, shame its not cold enough...

Posted
3 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Until Met office come on board really cannot get excited for Christmas week,the models look good but how many times have we been down this garden path or its watered down to nothing,without sounding greedy I'm not looking for a cm of slush I'm looking for a proper cold spell with ice,frost and snow on the ground that lasts more than a few hours.

C.S

Have a read of the Arctic Amplification article on the home page mate and also the link in the first paragraph, a good read and may re-energise your mood for the Winter prospects ahead.  

PS, I think it'll be another 10 days before things start to look really interesting, around about the 18th has shown it's hand several times, slowly getting colder from the Northeast? 

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Benny123 said:

Cheshire streamer in full swing, shame its not cold enough...

Hear hear to that, just imagine! Snowed in by now  

Posted

@Day 10 will take a look just a huge concern for me when the Meto are not on board they make mistakes just like anyone I'm still waiting for the Torpedo LOL thats not a dig at Chino intriguing too watch this unfold,but like you there are only so many kicks to the plums you can take and after the let downs and the chases of years gone by you will understand my concerns,let's see what happens in the next seven days.

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow