Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted

Just started snowing here 0c

Last few days have began below zero with us nearly mustering an ice day yesterday (says a lot about this winter so far that that should bring fanfare..) Happy it’s a bit more traditional December looking than the grey/tame winter mince so far though. Wyvis looked good from daviot earlier

DC05D8C3-6ED5-4FB5-9B4B-4F793645F086.thumb.jpeg.d7705414f3368ab824acff600d3fd8be.jpeg

Dunlichity is a lovely peaceful spot @Quinach we also have family at rest there

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Alford Aberdeenshire 1984.

A repeat of that would be perfect.

842.jpg

<adopts croaky old man voice>

I remember 1947 when the icicles were as thick as yer leg - yer granny got skewered putting out the bins one morning. Laugh? I would have done but my lips froze solid.... then she pulled the ice out of her head and rammed it up me airse while the blood poured out...

Bit of Christmassy cheer for you all!

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Just started snowing here 0c

Last few days have began below zero with us nearly mustering an ice day yesterday (says a lot about this winter so far that that should bring fanfare..) Happy it’s a bit more traditional December looking than the grey/tame winter mince so far though. Wyvis looked good from daviot earlier

DC05D8C3-6ED5-4FB5-9B4B-4F793645F086.thumb.jpeg.d7705414f3368ab824acff600d3fd8be.jpeg

Dunlichity is a lovely peaceful spot @Quinach we also have family at rest there

Wyvis looked spectacular in the sun this afternoon!

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Wyvis looked spectacular in the sun this afternoon!

Aye. Spectacular and cold! Warming up with a peculiar one tonight, a bottle of ‘Tweeddale grain of truth’ which we got on Raasay. Very nice  

• Like 3

Posted

Just wondering if @scottish skier has gone abroad gathering new variant covids under the disguise of a skiing holiday? Hence his recent radio silence.

I've just cancelled our next summer's alps holiday as I doubt vaccines will be as quick to get out as that lying mophead in London claims.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I would like to point out that racism in any form will not be tolerated on netweather. So please consider what you are posting before doing so. 

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Just wondering if @scottish skier has gone abroad gathering new variant covids under the disguise of a skiing holiday? Hence his recent radio silence.

I've just cancelled our next summer's alps holiday as I doubt vaccines will be as quick to get out as that lying mophead in London claims.

He still posts political stuff on Scots Go Pop.

I think he left here after the Politics threads were locked for good.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The broader pattern still seems very well on track - almost all roads lead to a Greenland/Iceland high, low pressure in the vicinity or to the south east and and the flow generally from the north to east. The devil is in the detail, and we've seen a few more changes today (some not so grand as far as the marginality goes but more disturbances showing up on the mesoscale models that could bring significant snowfall too). On my phone at the moment but I would recommend the UKV (Netweather Extra plug) and the ICON model (meteociel) to see some of the potential for Sunday through to Tuesday.

However, I would say that, if we see further warm sectors or North Sea driven mush instead (I think a middle ground with some decent snow inland is most likely at the moment), we're still looking very well placed for likely further cold incursions tapping into the proper cold pool - it's not always clear as it unfolds what the main event actually is, and sometimes what seems like a disappointment is the critical trigger flow that opens the floodgates. December 2009 does spring to mind on this - it was a long build up, and while an initial possible easterly ended up with just high pressure in place, and the trigger low was initially not especially cold, what followed, despite things seemingly being delayed from the original timescale, was an amazing winter. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I miss SS,  he talked a lot of sense. And I dono what that poster meant about racism? I didn't see any?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Racism? Who's been a naughty boy or girl? 

Anyway, temp slowly dropping since this afternoon and now down to 1C, with the dew point bouncing a few tenths either side of zero. Should be good enough for snow when the showers arrive later, or a more persistent band of snow if the blob over the North of Scotland makes it here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
19 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Bank! :santa-emoji:

UKV snapshots:

27/12

09:00

089EDDBA-B207-487A-A550-B7C3C4D2F1D3.thumb.jpeg.3da74c0235eb8db17612bd0f33f84d56.jpeg

12:00

98E50ECE-8B27-44CC-ACBA-BC45B074A22A.thumb.jpeg.27c19aab4dccf4a1deef32d8e40d1919.jpeg

15:00

817B8F19-0084-47AC-90C5-1DE7B875DB8D.thumb.jpeg.63f27e3102ed769f9babafcfffbca63b.jpeg

28/12

06:00

446C7080-B212-4FF9-A9AD-4FFD9C3B85A7.thumb.jpeg.dfbb458fc30f9c85d76acaa747796739.jpeg

09:00

E73FBD5A-E10C-43CD-B40B-173D56AA95CF.thumb.jpeg.b85eb4fb96230ea43cf6baace3254232.jpeg

12:00

2CE4272C-95D8-49C5-984C-4813EAC28266.thumb.jpeg.441d25c22c1e160fd9c1492aed6dc8fa.jpeg

As ever all the above charts at this range...subject to change! 

Oh and is there any chance we could keep the Anti-English/Political crap out this thread @Hairy Celt? No wonder that post you made got deleted. 
Puts me off posting in here.
Not very welcoming for our English friends/members on the forum browsing this thread - it’s the year 2020 mate not 1314. 
It is a weather forum/regional thread to discuss weather - pretty sure you can spout all that other nonsense on other platforms. 
Look forward to all your future weather pictures/chat as always though. 

Loving those old snow images and current sunset pictures on the previous page! Good luck to everyone in the NW/N/NE with regards to the wintry potential overnight! 

Cheers! Those were the ones I was meaning  

Given the UKMO itself isn't that far from the other main models, it's at least a hint that it wouldn't take too much breaking right to get some proper snowfall from Sunday onwards...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Oh I dunno, if they mention December 2010 again on the model thread  I think we should shut the border at the firewall permanently.  

The (potential) snow is about to arrive here so updates incoming hopefully! 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted

Another beautiful day on Deeside with plenty of frost decorating the area. High of 4.3c, up from an overnight low of -0.4c. Currently 0.6c, dewpoint -0.5c and hoping I'll wake up to a covering of white stuff outside.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
29 minutes ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Snow has arrived here

20201223_212419[29326].jpeg

First wee shower here was almost microscopic wet snow! 

Glad to see the good stuff is on its way! ⛄❄️

• Like 1

Posted

Colourful sunset here today, making the clouds to the south-west glow dramatically. 

Looks like an interesting spell of weather-watching is fast-approaching.  Meantime, best wishes for Christmas to all Scottish thread posters! :santa-emoji:

IMG_5062.thumb.JPG.c550f5707d255b08e3872fb697261652.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Always good to try show different outcomes and try to work out why certain runs differ to others, personally I’m not quite as keen on the 18z a few key differences 

Red - lobe of the PV shown heading toward Canada, 

Black -Low pressure to the WSW a lot weaker which means pattern can flatten easier 

14DA9AF1-ED4A-4B1D-9501-7C19F40C8604.thumb.jpeg.ed389da4f26e9ff65c7ee19523d5102d.jpeg
compare to previous runs 093D9B4A-B686-4A6F-8761-B1DA0B354247.thumb.png.426ce84f15046368eb4597945c3f8d6b.png DE1DD0DD-92A1-4DDC-B19F-C51EEFD813A7.thumb.png.5d90afc4275f54905452d77d9cd7633b.png 
Wouldn’t be throwing a tantrum yet, (suspect a few will in the mod thread) usually twists and turns in trying to get cold spells in the UK, let’s see where the next days runs go
*it’s still a cool run just not as good

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just been out with the dog for a last pee before bed, her, not me. Its clear and starry with a half moon and a gentle breeze. Temp 0.6C and everything's freezing up, which is good as the snow will stick better than on the wet ground from todays rain showers. 

If I don't wake up to snow you'll hear the scream. 

• Like 8

Posted

Wrt the 'racism' thing earlier, I had a post deleted which made reference to not wanting to be associated with English covid uselessness.  It wasn't racist but heyho, there are some thin-skinned folk around.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Wrt the 'racism' thing earlier, I had a post deleted which made reference to not wanting to be associated with English covid uselessness.  It wasn't racist but heyho, there are some thin-skinned folk around.

Temp here at about 2C and we've had some cold, light rain this evening.  I was busy with marzipan etc in the kitchen so wasn't really watching.

We rescued my mother (aged 90) from a high covid infection part of England just very recently. She's now living with us, safe and healthy in the Highlands. I cannot see how the Westminster gov't is able to carry on winging it. Oh, a few more thousand deaths. Some cretin calls me racist. Jeez.

This will be gone in the morning I'm sure.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 8

Posted

Always amazes how the crinkle sound of the custard cream wrapping can be picked up by the kids at the other end of the house.  Oh well, just managed to grab three before the vultures descended.

Back to overcast skies again (and a rain shower at lunchtime), with a hint of something brighter at times....

Snag_213b33.thumb.png.d3e65bb692242e67a42d834b807d82a2.png

Feeling colder today thanks to the lack of sunshine, even though the max temperature was similar to yesterday at 5c.

Light winds throughout.

Temperature has actually surprisingly risen in the last few hours - good white frost at teatime but now its +0.5c so looking touch and go for any lying snow when the kids emerge from their pits.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, mardatha said:

I miss SS,  he talked a lot of sense. And I dono what that poster meant about racism? I didn't see any?

i think it was HC calling Boris a mophead...... this was very offensive to mops 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, edo said:

i think it was HC calling Boris a mophead...... this was very offensive to mops 

Have I got news still looking for a presenter,

Anyhoo, was oot with the dugs this afternoon before wee trip to Kinghorn, blue sky to the North, grey to the South. Very cold with frost still lingering. 

IMG_20201223_141546.jpg

IMG_20201223_141609.jpg

• Like 7