Jump to content
IGNORED

Stratosphere and Polar Vortex Watch 2020


SqueakheartLW

Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Scunthorpe
  • Location: Scunthorpe

Noticed they have added a bias correction to the CFS runs on weather is cool

u10serie.thumb.png.e14c393969ad18f624d221d621778f25.png

I don't want that top one to happen. We don't want "POLAR VORTEX OF DOOM PART 2"

Notice how it also ramps up in the most convenient place too, as soon as December begins

Are they onto something again or is this a response to the last 2 winters when the vortex got its act together as soon as winter arrived

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Scunthorpe
  • Location: Scunthorpe
On 22/09/2020 at 08:56, Daniel* said:

It’s quite interesting ECM 00z almost splits the vortex having a bit of a hard time so far.

0CC3C2C7-BEB9-424C-B5F1-31CFC21095B8.thumb.png.333f1b4e156ab8abe8bba4c0e3156fe2.png

We want the vortex split in winter, not now as it has plenty of time to get its act together again before winter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
1 hour ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Noticed they have added a bias correction to the CFS runs on weather is cool

u10serie.thumb.png.e14c393969ad18f624d221d621778f25.png

I don't want that top one to happen. We don't want "POLAR VORTEX OF DOOM PART 2"

Notice how it also ramps up in the most convenient place too, as soon as December begins

Are they onto something again or is this a response to the last 2 winters when the vortex got its act together as soon as winter

Even most of the bias corrected members are below average into December

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(134m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(134m asl)

Just a couple of snippets.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

Recent years I think have brought a rather weak ragged vortex in November only for it to ramp into full gear come December, last year did this. We've had quite a few Novembers with spells of calm anticyclonic cold weather at times, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Recent years I think have brought a rather weak ragged vortex in November only for it to ramp into full gear come December, last year did this. We've had quite a few Novembers with spells of calm anticyclonic cold weather at times, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019.

 

I think you mean slack cyclonic. Didn’t surpass 1020mb here until the 29th and the average SLP for the month was lower than all 3 winter months. Classic southerly jet stream.

Shame the PV suddenly blew up in December and sucked everything north again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Coniston, Cumbria 90m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
  • Location: Coniston, Cumbria 90m ASL
13 hours ago, MR EXTREMES said:

jma showing some slight warming will this build further.

expecting some stratospheric action this year.

JN240-5.thumb.gif.1de5ac842dac9b56327d0f614e059a34.gif

'Ave Iiiit!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: portsmouth uk
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
  • Location: portsmouth uk
18 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Todays stratospheric zonal wind sets a date record for the weakest ever for 27/09 at 7.9M/S

Sadly the correlation between these date records & the strength of the subsequent DJF zonal wind is very low.

absolutely no surprise with the dominate heights in the northern hemisphere so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
On 26/09/2020 at 09:17, MR EXTREMES said:

jma showing some slight warming will this build further.

expecting some stratospheric action this year.

JN240-5.thumb.gif.1de5ac842dac9b56327d0f614e059a34.gif

Please not lets see endless T+384 strat charts again this year, it's a completely futile exercise. (Not aimed at you mate, there's a few that did it all the way through last winter, and it's completely pointless at that range).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Wyke regis overlooking Chesil beach.
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
  • Location: Wyke regis overlooking Chesil beach.
On 27/09/2020 at 11:59, Steve Murr said:

Todays stratospheric zonal wind sets a date record for the weakest ever for 27/09 at 7.9M/S

Sadly the correlation between these date records & the strength of the subsequent DJF zonal wind is very low.

Quite so Steve 7.9m/s in Mid December and we might be talking something interesting. Otherwise it means nothing at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
11 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Quite so Steve 7.9m/s in Mid December and we might be talking something interesting. Otherwise it means nothing at the moment.

Yes it's notable how quickly things can change in late Autumn. 

There has been plenty of recent October's with northern blocking but by late November the PV usually becomes dominant. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
3 hours ago, phil nw. said:

Yes it's notable how quickly things can change in late Autumn. 

There has been plenty of recent October's with northern blocking but by late November the PV usually becomes dominant. 

In recent years we haven't quite achieved HP in the correct places to promote trop led blocking feedbacks. That has allowed the strat to dominate the trop as it strengthened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

In recent years we haven't quite achieved HP in the correct places to promote trop led blocking feedbacks. That has allowed the strat to dominate the trop as it strengthened.

Suspect the PV was weak throughout Autumns of 08, 09 and 10, lots of northern blocking in those years, also 12, any coincidence all four autumns were followed by cold or very cold winters, with all Decembers featuring some degree of cold, not so potent in 08 and 12 but it occurred in both years early on and later in 08, 09 notable cold second half, and 10 significant until the near end.

Recent Autumns, have featured relatively weak PV states, but as said not quite accompanied by the feedback needed to give it a proper bashing come start of the winter. End product has been lots of mid lattitude heights, or heights directly overhead especially in November or weaker heights to the north and cyclonic conditions overhead as happened last year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK

image.thumb.png.fb50e4a7b9e56e1f565ea39dcfcb93ed.png

Looks like the slow start will soon be but a distant memory...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland 20m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
  • Location: Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland 20m ASL

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: South Oxfordshire
  • Location: South Oxfordshire

I take no credit, more Simon Lee teasing from twitter - is this the new twitter thread?

 

 

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Scunthorpe
  • Location: Scunthorpe
1 hour ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

September 2020 7.95

https://psl.noaa.gov/data/correlation/qbo.data

We see the strengthening of the polar vortex.

ecmwfzm_u_f240.png

We also see the strengthening of the WQBO too to a moderate WQBO now. Guess that probably rules us out of an average weak WQBO for autumn 2020 then which is bad news for a colder winter unless the east based La Nina and low solar activity can override the WQBO signal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Longden, Shropshire
  • Location: Longden, Shropshire
3 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

We also see the strengthening of the WQBO too to a moderate WQBO now. Guess that probably rules us out of an average weak WQBO for autumn 2020 then which is bad news for a colder winter unless the east based La Nina and low solar activity can override the WQBO signal

So many conflicting signals for the winter ahead!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
5 minutes ago, Don said:

So many conflicting signals for the winter ahead!

That's why I never pay 'signs' much attention, Don! Though, having said that, I did get a tad carried-away with the high expectations for winter 2018-19!:oldsad:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...