Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Good consistency from the GFS op, right or wrong, it is not playing switcher-roo:

06z>>1435556049_gfseu-0-192(1).thumb.png.77e16ad36a96b17246c2240bf763416c.png 12z>> gfseu-0-186.thumb.png.6af542b0196947c8db32412dae7ae9aa.png

Six similar runs and counting! Those dartboard lows may not be a sign of algorithmic tomfoolery but simply four lows merging and being squeezed by opposing forces? 

Assuming GFS is right with the above, it's ens were very unsure of what happens as the Atlantic ridge topples post-d8...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Eskimo said:

Your absolutely correct, that's why I've frequented this place for the better part of 10 years - the difference of opinion is what drives interesting conversation. However, an alternative view, especially as we are predicting the future with no certainty isn't pessimistic, just different, and both views should be respected. 

The view is respected. But my view that it's pessimistic must also be understood and respected. That's my opinion. I believe its a glass half empty approach to them charts

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes. Indeed.

Chance of verification. 5%

UKMO / GEM / ICON / ECM all split the low.

So not sure why any logical person would choose to forecast based on the GFS when since 2001 its always made the same errors when energy is split...

Lest not forget the mighty NAVGEM 06z

@ 144 and 180.

navgemnh-0-144.thumb.png.550a59ad43a5061f116b03d2078e4d85.pngnavgemnh-0-180.thumb.png.3117599f782713f07ce6a32fddd57a0d.png

great ICON though Steve

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes. Indeed.

Chance of verification. 5%

UKMO / GEM / ICON / ECM all split the low.

So not sure why any logical person would choose to forecast based on the GFS when since 2001 its always made the same errors when energy is split...

GEM def slowly moving towards the GFS by d7, so maybe the small differences pre-d6 will make little difference in the medium term?

GEM>> 2095918456_gemeu-0-168(1).thumb.png.6ce6b6d746ccfaabec80cccb6846ba51.png gfs>> gfseu-0-168.thumb.png.d4705bed44f34734e30d43ef7ad9b476.png

Certainly a synaptic match though dynamics different as they have arrived there by different routes?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes ^^
Maybe we shouldnt dispute the possibility of some phasing of low pressure making a deeper low however what the GFS will always do is place it as far NE as possible.

Assuming the 96 > 120 Evolution is correct GFS has already failed at the first attempt ( as did 1 UKMO the other day & I think 1 ECM ) however these quickly resolved the right 'type' of evolution.

@IDO In terms of corrections it seems only to be you & WIB not noticing the GFS make its usual corrections > even though they are clearly highlighted. 

Its no point in going on about the GEM at day 7-8 if the GFS is wrong at day 5-6...

Some posters here follow 0 logic. Still after all these years choosing to follow the GFS at the worst possible moment.

Of the overall scenario blend tonight you might use 10-20% GFS info if you are lucky.

great post. seems like there is no where we can head but milder south westerlies for the foreseeable, HOPEFULLY things change for the  colder sometime after day 8-10

6 minutes ago, dragan said:

great post. seems like there is no where we can head but milder south westerlies for the foreseeable, HOPEFULLY things change for the  colder sometime after day 8-10

On the contrary. It depends how far back west the phasing is. As the ICON highlights total days with SWs > 1 at a push.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

@reminder.. good polar profiles- but we ourselves need a dip and mid point profile/@ defined heights at lower based arctic momentum.. otherwise it’s hit then MISS for our part as any spillage dribbles west-east.. an easy explanation of how all the numbers have to align in our lottery (in it to win it)-  process... the points are there.. but need scrutiny.... on we go..!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
10 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes ^^

You are always 100% right about the GFS, 0 chance of it verifying against all other suites when just sending a train of energy on a SW to NE axis, however, this still doesn't get me a right tonking of snow, any sliders are likely to be rain / slush like this last one, until either some really low dep points and 0c surface temps undercutting properly a band of PPN at a favourable angle, or some proper uppers, the latter impossible at anytime before New year i would wager.

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes ^^
Maybe we shouldnt dispute the possibility of some phasing of low pressure making a deeper low however what the GFS will always do is place it as far NE as possible.

Assuming the 96 > 120 Evolution is correct GFS has already failed at the first attempt ( as did 1 UKMO the other day & I think 1 ECM ) however these quickly resolved the right 'type' of evolution.

@IDO In terms of corrections it seems only to be you & WIB not noticing the GFS make its usual corrections > even though they are clearly highlighted. 

Its no point in going on about the GEM at day 7-8 if the GFS is wrong at day 5-6...

Some posters here follow 0 logic. Still after all these years choosing to follow the GFS at the worst possible moment.

Of the overall scenario blend tonight you might use 10-20% GFS info if you are lucky.

Very well put. I thought I was being polite calling it pessimistic! Its verging on trolling so rightly should be pulled up as these posters have been on here long enough to know the GFS always finds it impossible to resolve split flow from the jet

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Owwwwww Scott you are going to ruffle some feathers in here !!

Anyway, GFS is just plain awful.

Next !! 

UKMO not sure ...

I am overly opionated and straight to the point! 

Let's see where ECM stands. There will be a warm up i feel but not from low pressure barreling through. More likely WAA pushing through the heart of the country in week 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Owwwwww Scott you are going to ruffle some feathers in here !!

Anyway, GFS is just plain awful.

Next !! 

UKMO not sure ...

Still I'm absolutely convinced it will settle down with high pressure from the 20th, 'guessed' this in my Dec CET thingy, now how cold or mild who knows,

• Like 3

Posted

The gefs at d8 are a poor bunch, certainly no undercuts of any worth and pretty much moved towards the op over the last few runs. The mean sums it up:

d8 mean>>gensnh-31-1-192.thumb.png.dddd6950238999ab5125e48921342a59.png gefs>>gens_panel_lzw3.png

Hopefully, as others say, this is another gfs fail, and that its steadfast trend is totally wrong?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
20 minutes ago, IDO said:

The gefs at d8 are a poor bunch, certainly no undercuts of any worth and pretty much moved towards the op over the last few runs. The mean sums it up:

d8 mean>>gensnh-31-1-192.thumb.png.dddd6950238999ab5125e48921342a59.png gefs>>gens_panel_lzw3.png

Hopefully, as others say, this is another gfs fail, and that its steadfast trend is totally wrong?

Strangely its shown over the years some epic cold spells that were drooled over early doors and fi? Guess the proof will be in the pudding over the coming days  BTW Jamie vardy your a true legend

Edited by swfc
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Time for a spot-the-beast competition... Is that a polar bear?

h500slp.png   h850t850eu.png

General Custer and his usual 384 chart! fairly accurate I'd say, we know HP will be in charge, until 02 Jan, question is where