Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Well, the ground around here is well and truly saturated and the grass is mostly like walking on marshland.  If there’s going to be any chance of cutting the grass again before the winter I’m going to need at least 48 hours without rain and preferably two consecutive days of sunshine.  Nothing like that is currently being forecast in the reliable timeframe and the main immediate concern is likely to be wind, anyway.  Still, I continue to hope for a break in this very unsettled weather - maybe around mid-November.  It would be good to have that followed by increasingly cold and frosty conditions as December approaches.  It’s still possible!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Here we go -the amber warning is out and includes the westernmost tip of Pembrokeshire. Meanwhile, the projected gusts for my area don't even reach 40 mph now, even Milford Haven is supposed to get no more than 49 mph. Will be interesting to see how this pans out and if the machine will beat human on this occasion!?! Not much surprise too seeing a yellow rain warning for the north for Thursday which was my major concern all the while. Last nights rain took me by surprise though, producing 25.2 mm with me sleeping trough it. 💤But even so, my total for the month is still 16 mm below my IMBY 20 year average of 186 mm but chances are it may be reached overnight. Stay safe all!

• Like 2

Posted

After yet another wet night, it was a gorgeous sunny morning again, mostly, so I had to get out into the garden to finish off moving various pots, tubs of plants out of harm’s way in case Ciaran does take a left turn, especially my Nye Bevan roses, which were about as exposed as they could be in what is relatively sheltered spot, considering I’m on the edge of the Bannau. One of them took revenge on my arms.

I was pleased to see that the moss is finally making a comeback in the lawn, after it took a beating during that hot dry patch all those months ago in May/June. I’m perhaps odd in wanting it there, but I’m not bothered about having a perfect lawn and the moss helps to regulate the flow of water off the hill - towards the kitchen floor - in wet weather. 

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
  • Like 3

Posted
53 minutes ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

…….

I was pleased to see that the moss is finally making a comeback in the lawn, after it took a beating during that hot dry patch all those months ago in May/June. I’m perhaps odd in wanting it there, but I’m not bothered about having a perfect lawn and the moss helps to regulate the flow of water off the hill - towards the kitchen floor - in wet weather. 

That made me smile!  I’m also not worried about a perfect lawn and sometimes think I’ve got more weeds than grass!  I let half of it grow wild in the summer but all that achieved was to allow the dandelions and buttercups to become totally dominant!  Even so, it’s nice to see it when it’s cut but no chance of that now - I can’t even walk on it without sloshing around in the puddles and I’m supposed to have a well-drained garden!  

• Like 2

Posted

Quite the weather so far Bridgend way. Currently having thunder which has a very different sound to the usual stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just had thunder in Llantrisant when I work now and some torrential hail not long ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Recorded my lowest pressure currently 954.8hpa.

• Like 2

Posted

Steady rain set in overnight and looks likely to continue for a few hours yet, but not so much the wind….?   Unless I slept through it (unlikely!) we seem to have missed the worst of the gales and the storm has passed now so the wind should continue to moderate this morning.  I’ve seen some images from the Channel Islands though, and I think they’ve had a very rough night. 

JERSEYEVENINGPOST.COM

AT least three people are in hospital and dozens have been moved to hotel accommodation as Storm Ciarán blasts the Island with near hurricane-strength...

• Like 2

Posted

I think our winds arrive in a bit as the storm exits? Breezy out right now rather than outright windy but seems to be increasing. Very wet, of course.

• Like 1

Posted

Some torrential bursts of rain over the last hour must have pushed the total up a few mm and our lane outside looks like a river…..   Lucky I’m on a hill which drains away in two directions so no risk of flooding but the local roads are going to be flooded in places.

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Got a low pressure reading of 955 from this storm but only max gusts of 30-35mph between about 6:00AM to 12:00PM.

looks like we have had 188mm of rain here in the whole month of October.

• Like 2

Posted

Storm Ciaran yesterday, and then the morning after…..

IMG_1189.thumb.jpeg.e3874836ebc1c73fb9a96d246977da7a.jpeg

IMG_1187.thumb.jpeg.ea534dad6d58ba634da06af12a9fa934.jpeg

Mother Nature has a strange sense of humour, perhaps?  

• Like 4

Posted

I’m looking to get an idea of the amount of rain we can expect over the next week, hoping that some of us can have a drying out period….

Here are the rainfall accumulation totals as predicted by the UKMO and the ECM for the next seven days…..

IMG_1205.thumb.png.5f681a7330ea3c353d713d1806032355.png   IMG_1206.thumb.png.dd1495c0878aba2e161eda32015e3c8e.png

That’s not too bad, with some parts of Wales having minimal rainfall.  Some disagreement over the North West but perhaps some of us can look forward to a couple of reasonably dry days this week?

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

A full day of constant rain.  Two soaking dog walks and can’t face another, so the pooch has scooted out, pee’d and scooted  back.    Flooding issues arising again.  Ground like a soggy sponge.   Luckily, the council dug out the culverts after the farmers had dug out the culverts during the floods not long ago, so even less likelihood of them bursting again.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Can hardly believe how lightly I have got away all week with no more than 'normal' wind and rainfall. Barely any rain today past mid morning. Guess the southerly track of the lows reversed my fortunes by keeping the valley in the rain shadow of Yr Wyddfa. Wish all autumn/winter storms were that benign (for everybody btw!). No doubt my turn will come before too long. Meanwhile, the 12Z GFS offers a glimpse of more settled conditions past mid month - a long way off mind, but one can always dream to reach the shores of Fantasy Island of T + 300 plus!

image.thumb.png.00833fca1c53120f8b28a5be1dbd315a.png

image.thumb.png.435d4ecf3785615bdce67a228c1f084f.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
7 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Lovely to be visiting North Wales today, the first time in quite a few years! 

An often very atmospheric scenery amid the rain, with cloud obscuring some summits & stunning autumn colours all around. Even with the not so great weather conditions, the scenery and nature just beats the cities by a very long way. 

dji_fly_20231104_150600_18_1699110455263_photo_optimized2.thumb.jpg.8eec5478bdb70c8e0264d2af56a0dff3.jpg dji_fly_20231104_150650_21_1699110440101_photo_optimized2.thumb.jpg.57fe0f79a7ea9e67004edc60da192f09.jpg 20231104_1449112.thumb.jpg.097399255a275aa6a04de6fdf73d3e62.jpg

Some photos at the Gwydir Forest park. 

20231104_144539.thumb.jpg.4841b4adc1e1a7f4b43ca86b548d5d1a.jpg20231104_1347292.thumb.jpg.010a99d0a4aa63df4dc0a7cf7cb5f5b5.jpg

2 at the Clwydian Range & Dee Valley Area. 

20231104_1535492.thumb.jpg.766a69cd7cae560a42227f6a3e065345.jpg

And one deeper into Snowdonia not far from Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Yes, whatever the weather, nature always stuns up here.  Hope you enjoyed your trip.  We are in the Ceiriog Valley, just over the hill from Llangollen and, hopefully, in a couple of years, will be part of the North East Wales National Park, which will include the Clwydian and Dee Valley, the Ceiriog Valley, Tanat Valley and  Lake Vyrnwy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This has been a nice Autumn day - cool and breezy with plenty of sunshine.  Showers threatening but managed to miss me so far and we had another lovely sunrise…..

IMG_1218.thumb.jpeg.fc8f777988894bd2bd4353fa1d9739e7.jpeg

Every morning at sunrise we have increasingly large flocks of starlings flying overhead from their woodland roost about two miles away, heading for their feeding grounds.  Last year these flocks grew to enormous size by January, probably numbering 10s of thousands.  It’s quite a phenomenon and difficult to accept that even though they can appear in such large flocks starlings have declined in number by over 80% since 1969.

• Like 5

Posted
37 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Every morning at sunrise we have increasingly large flocks of starlings flying overhead from their woodland roost about two miles away, heading for their feeding grounds.  Last year these flocks grew to enormous size by January, probably numbering 10s of thousands.  It’s quite a phenomenon and difficult to accept that even though they can appear in such large flocks starlings have declined in number by over 80% since 1969.

Glad to hear that there are still large flocks around somewhere. We used to have lots of them some years ago but they have since declined continuously in numbers to the point where by now I am mightily concerned about them and cherish every single one that I spot occasionally. We even had a family living/breeding under a section inside the facia boarding under the edge of our roof with a hole cut for them to get in and out but even they seemed to have moved out again.

Weather pretty miserable here today with grey skies and mostly light rain on and off. Looks like a brighter day tomorrow before the arrival of the next more substantial rain band which luckily seems to pass through fairly swiftly. Have a good day all!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 06/11/2023 at 13:14, Wetterfrosch said:

Glad to hear that there are still large flocks around somewhere.

This is what they looked like last year in February…..sorry my videoing skill is not too clever!

That flypast was at least a mile wide..,   They haven’t reappeared in such numbers so far this year - yet - but maybe by the new year we will see these large flocks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sky Full said:

That flypast was at least a mile wide..,   They haven’t reappeared in such numbers so far this year - yet - but maybe by the new year we will see these large flocks again.

So wonderful to see! The few murmurations that I have had the good fortune to see up here were miniscule by contrast, but nevertheless spell binding. Absolutely love the skeletal silhouette of the trees against the clear sky - in the absence of snow that's winter at it's best!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Anyone else been getting lower temps at night than forecast? Generally been forecast lows of 7-8C but getting lows of 5-6C each night.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

Anyone else been getting lower temps at night than forecast? Generally been forecast lows of 7-8C but getting lows of 5-6C each night.

Me, too, generally about 4 degrees lower than the forecast. Someone else’s weather station about half a mile away registers temperatures closer to the forecast ones, though, so I have been putting it down to microclimate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Just had some distant thunder and flashes of lightning about an hour ago though it didn’t last long.

Heavy on and off outbreaks of rain have been going on for most of the night as well.

• Like 1