Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had some torrential rain and hail on my drive to Llantrisant thismorning with some distant flashes of lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

A rare 24 hours with no rain yesterday has been followed by a very wet night and morning today.  I’m not confident that we’ll get another completely rain free 24 hours in the next couple of weeks and quite possibly not before the end of the year.  The outlook is so unsettled with no signs of prolonged high pressure so it’s a strongly Atlantic driven prospect for the rest of November.

• Like 2

Posted

Here we go again….  A yellow warning for high winds from Storm Debi has been issued covering north and west Wales for Monday….

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

South Wales - you’re safe for the time being!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Yes, and this time I appear to be in the firing line, or at least close to it, with 50 -53 mph expected by the MetO for my area but  the highest gusts luckily out to sea between Ynys Mon and Manaw (Anglesey and Man). Being relatively small in size, it will rattle through pretty swiftly so that by this time tomorrow we should already be in somewhat calmer waters again.

• Like 1

Posted

This week has had some of the most memorable (short lived) weather I can recall. Driving to Bridgend Tesco on Monday evening was like a rain blizzard. Incredible squall. Similar yesterday. Today, quite nice.

Tomorrow looks like it has some potential to be awful but, at least, the wind will mean that the rain driving into the house is from the other side........

• Like 3

Posted

Well, pleasant surprise, tracked south. Unusual to be so far out that there was no rain rather than torrential rain.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, CLH said:

Well, pleasant surprise, tracked south. Unusual to be so far out that there was no rain rather than torrential rain.

Definitely a surprise.  Yesterday afternoon I was forecast to get 17mm of rain today but this morning it’s just 2.5mm!  I’m not complaining, but it has occurred to me that quite a lot of active weather has tracked further south than expected recently, and I’m wondering if that’s a trend or just a coincidence?

• Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Definitely a surprise.  Yesterday afternoon I was forecast to get 17mm of rain today but this morning it’s just 2.5mm!  I’m not complaining, but it has occurred to me that quite a lot of active weather has tracked further south than expected recently, and I’m wondering if that’s a trend or just a coincidence?

It’s welcome, whichever. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Yes, same here. I noticed XC weather was the 1st to change the forecast to little or no rain when updated yesterday afternoon. BBC followed in the evening but the met office continued to show persistent heavy rain all morning. I believe XC weather use the GFS model. An interesting comparison with short term forecasting 

Edited by Cwmbran Eira
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted

Also, very light winds, and not an easterly direction as forecast. Very different all in all in the short term. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

All of the above! Yes, it's overcast with 8 octa altocumulus/altostratus but well above even Yr Wyddfa and in the absence of any wind it cannot possibly be called dreary. Not a drop of rain in the last 24 hours either. I could see yesterday the southerly low missing the north altogether and even the south just getting a scraping of the rain. No idea why the MetO with all their advanced equipment so underestimate the effect of such a southerly track and still insist on a forecast like:

Headline:

Wet and windy today, turning more settled on Friday. 

Today:

A dreary day with rain spreading across the south of the country through the morning, heavy at times. Strong winds easing along southern coasts by the afternoon with the odd shower in the far west. Feeling cool under grey skies. Maximum temperature 9 °C.

I'm no fan of their minimalist three liner forecasts, to say the least. I get much more information from the daily NW forecasts, even though they are not specifically for Wales,  and particularly like their including of charts and animations which sets me up nicely for the day. Rant over!!!🙁🤔

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

One word for today's forecast...WRONG! ☀️☀️☀️

• Like 2

Posted

Wasn't there even a yellow warning of rain out for the southernmost areas for midnight to 6 pm today? Has obviously been quietly dropped to avoid embarrassment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Today has been the first day it hasn't reached double figures with a high of 9.2C. After some rain thismorning its been quite a pleasant day!

Posted

After a batch of pre-dawn showers this morning, the day has started very promisingly with the clouds dispersing, the sun shining brightly and not a breath of wind to shake the few leaves remaining on the trees.  There’s plenty of rain coming this way later, so these lovely conditions are strictly temporary.  Not the slightest sign of frost in this part of the world so far this Autumn - it seems to get later and later as each year passes…..

• Like 1

Posted

HELLO EVERYONE - welcome back to winter on the forum - looks like from medium term forecasting we could have an early start to winter - watch this space!

FE9150A5-B23D-40F6-AE95-D8B18CDB95AE.png

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Oooh Winter is coming, Andymusic is back!  😀

• Like 3

Posted

medium to long range some interesting developments - early easterly followed by a possible north easterly - winter could well be coming in early this year folks - watch this space lol

• Like 1

Posted

and true to form the gfs 18z offers us another 1 in a hundred years snow/blizzard snowmageddon towards the end of it's run - probably a pub run thing but ya never know!

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 2

Posted
17 hours ago, andymusic said:

and true to form the gfs 18z offers us another 1 in a hundred years snow/blizzard snowmageddon towards the end of it's run - probably a pub run thing but ya never know!

It looks like you’ve timed your winter return this year to perfection!   Cold and frosty being promised for as soon as the 30/11 by the good old GFS!

IMG_1263.png.470e6140d44422961762584eb01c3225.png

• Like 2

Posted

What about a little covering of snow for everyone in about 10 days time…

IMG_1264.thumb.png.6fdbd3b872eaf8b166bca11eecb431bd.png

⛄⛄😂

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

GEM says 22cm snow accumulating in the Brecons by 01/12…….😱

IMG_1265.thumb.png.31e8c019c33ee6cf11cc3d60758330f8.png

Better dust off that sledge, Andy!

• Like 3