Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

I'm in town but it's still -1.c up at the airport, expected it to be a bit warmer. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Freezing rain here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Not long back from my dog walk and it was just ordinary 
drizzle.  Thankful for that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
39 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Not long back from my dog walk and it was just ordinary 
drizzle.  Thankful for that.

Same here,  light rain/drizzly rubbish meh....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Rain! The Cat's gone out to investigate.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's official: I went through the entire cold spell in Lincoln without seeing any sleet or snow.  It's not that unusual to have snowless cold spells in itself, but to manage it in a cold spell characterised by low pressure and frequent northerly winds is quite a feat in this part of the country.

Rain here so far with the temperature rising from 1.2C as the rain arrived to 1.6C now.  I wasn't really expecting snow from this breakdown as we got some less cold air come in from the south-west yesterday prior to the big breakdown.

Posted

METO should try and hire some professionals with extensive knowledge of ppn charts and localised forecasts. We're 50yrs behind US NWS. 

This amber warning was just a complete joke. It's one thing playing it safe and protecting the public and another being soooo wrong is laughable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, fog, frost, blizzards, rime, winter

I thought the warnings were not a guarantee though? I have read reports of freezing rain, though I cannot say I experienced it here. The warning text also mentioned the freezing rain hazard mainly for high ground, and I accept I'm not at higher altitude like some others are in this region.

I think the warning was valid due to the potential consequences of freezing rain.

16 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

METO should try and hire some professionals with extensive knowledge of ppn charts and localised forecasts. We're 50yrs behind US NWS. 

This amber warning was just a complete joke. It's one thing playing it safe and protecting the public and another being soooo wrong is laughable. 

A ridiculous post 👎

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

No freezing rain here luckily however the ice already there is slow to melt so where people didn't bother clearing the snow the pavement will be slippy still.

From the reports of people on this forum and also rain on existing ice sheets makes them even slippier so the orange warning justified me thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms
33 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

What a totally ridiculous post

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
17 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

A ridiculous post 👎

Just come home from work over the Snake pass, trust me a lot of snow, very poor conditions, ice a real issue. I found it not good and I've got a 4wd. Any warning was totally justified.

Posted

I had freezing rain so that's three of us in West Yorkshire above 100m.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yeah, I think on this occasion the Met Office warnings were pretty good.  Things like freezing rain are often a "hit and miss" thing and some places in the warning area might well have got nothing serious, giving the impression locally that they were over the top, but it's clear from some of the posts in here that some areas have had freezing rain and lethal conditions out and about, especially on foot, as a result.

I got nothing but rain, but then again Lincoln was just to the south-east of the amber and yellow warning areas.

Posted

Temp up to 1.1c now and ice is melting from the trees. The ground is still glazed over, can't walk down my steep drive and the road/pavement doesn't look much better. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

My temp is close to 3 C now .. so a good thaw.

BL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,lightning,hot and sunny

Bit of a letdown today. Had 30 minutes of light snow then quickly changed to rain and that was at my work at over 220m above Sheffield. Oh well on to the next chase then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Less cold air now making it’s way across the region.  Temp now up to 3.1c, and rising fairly quickly.  It’s likely to feel tropical tomorrow compared to today!

Now we are heading out of the very cold weather, I’ll be using the next few days to restock the log store next to the house as it is looking very depleted after running the log burner for 12 hours a day for the last couple of weeks.  I also need to get out into the garden as the summer bedding plants, which had kept going until early December, are now looking pretty dead due to frost damage.  I’ll hopefully also be able to get the parsnips out of the ground ready for Christmas Day, as they’ve been frozen into the ground for the last 10 days!

After all that is done I’m hoping for a speedy return to very cold and this time with some snow.  GFS and GEM keep tempting us with snow for our region on the boundary of the colder air to the North and the less cold air to the South, but ECM continues to play Scrooge!  Fingers crossed that cold wins out before Christmas!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm going to be up in Knaresborough for Christmas.  I'm not too disappointed to see this cold spell go, but I'd certainly like to see a white Christmas.  It looks on a knife edge at the moment - the ECMWF and UKMO has the cold air staying too far north, while the GFS has it spreading south to cover most or all of the region by Christmas Day.  Normally I would back ECMWF/UKMO over GFS, so to me the chances are receding, but there's still a chance.