Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

4 hours ago, Empire Of Snow said:

METO should try and hire some professionals with extensive knowledge of ppn charts and localised forecasts. We're 50yrs behind US NWS. 

This amber warning was just a complete joke. It's one thing playing it safe and protecting the public and another being soooo wrong is laughable. 

Amber warning was fine in this instance imo definitely accurately reflected the hazards which occurred today. Was for freezing rain not ice. Otherwise I agree this is massively lacking.

Edited by Kasim Awan

Posted

Whole street is covered in black ice very hard to walk down. The grass is rock solid. So yeah in the end the warning was right. 

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Insightful 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Empire Of Snow said:

METO should try and hire some professionals with extensive knowledge of ppn charts and localised forecasts. We're 50yrs behind US NWS. 

This amber warning was just a complete joke. It's one thing playing it safe and protecting the public and another being soooo wrong is laughable. 

Ridiculous post, think first, also read the number of comments about freezing rain from parts of Yorkshire.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
9 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

I had freezing rain so that's three of us in West Yorkshire above 100m.

Freezing rain in east Leeds too below 100m. 

GFS showing a huge snowstorm for our region on Christmas Day. Do we dare to dream?

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

As forecast .. it's now an amazing 10 C here as I type !
Much safer for getting out and about.
I'll join in the little dream of a white Christmas day tho.

BL   :reindeer-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted

Sure is very different re temperature this morning, now at 11.7 C from 5.9 C when went to bed last night, dry now after 5.6 mm rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Similar in Barnsley.  11.7c and still a few spots of rain after 5.3mm overnight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Wow, 10.5c this morning and woken to a scenery of green once more. Last night was still a whiteout but 99% of the snow & ice has gone overnight!  After 11 days of ice it’s a genuine relief! The garden pond is still frozen solid….

• Like 1

Posted

Temperatures up to 10C here and all the ice has gone. Lunchtime bike ride should be back on today, only issue may be Dutch hills, as winds are forecast to increase this morning. At the coast we only had rain yesterday, and thaw had set in by mid afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Ridiculous post, think first, also read the number of comments about freezing rain from parts of Yorkshire.

I've seen the posts and reports of some freezing rain in places. First of all, a 2min freezing rain it's different to a 30min freezing rain. I would love to see a video of it. 

Secondly, my main complaint was the fact that METO is severely lacking in localised forecasts. Even the detailed forecast is getting worse year by year. 

Posted

Summer 8906 has just posted this on p50 of the 'chat' thread:

"I do wonder what the typical weather in Yorkshire (the lowland parts, east of the Pennines) is in a SW-ly. There, they are protected by both the Welsh mountains and the Pennines. I can imagine much of Yorkshire must be significantly drier and sunnier than southern England in winter - any members from that area able to comment?"

Over to you!

Posted
1 hour ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Summer 8906 has just posted this on p50 of the 'chat' thread:

"I do wonder what the typical weather in Yorkshire (the lowland parts, east of the Pennines) is in a SW-ly. There, they are protected by both the Welsh mountains and the Pennines. I can imagine much of Yorkshire must be significantly drier and sunnier than southern England in winter - any members from that area able to comment?"

Over to you!

Based on this, sunnier but slightly wetter from Dec to Feb comparing Bridlington with London. Bridlington is one of the driest places in Yorkshire

Bridlington

Could contain: Chart, Heat Map, Blackboard

London

Could contain: Chart, Heat Map

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Church Fenton (my closest station) is drier than London between October and February, but only sunnier in February. 

Edited by cheese

Posted

Potential for snow again in the next 10 days.

Scotland looks like getting absolutely hammered.. If only the low on the 23rd was 100/200 miles further south. I think we will miss most of the snow from this, we may get some snow on the backside of following lows as they pull away but only after the ground has been sodden and a lot precipitation passed through. 

Further on potential for snow down south, into the midlands, with us just missing out.

We really need some upgrades for our region by 12z tomorrow or e are in trouble of more disapointment. 

(This chart is what could  go wrong)

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted

No snow between now and Christmas which is a shame. 

Local Meto forecast shows a max of 4.c on the 26th. Indicative of cold air setting in which should put us in good position for either frontal snow or something more significant.

• Insightful 1

Posted

Not a bad day at the coast after some early rain and mist. Lunchtime bike ride produced 9C and SW force 4 winds, also sunny so actually quite pleasant.

• Like 3

Posted

Slightly cooler today 8c and wind a bit stronger, force 4-5 SSW, but sun was out again so lunchtime ride was OK.

Christmas is looking boring, no snow, cool but not cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

🌲Happy Winter Solstice 🪵🌲everyone, just watching the sunrise after the longest night….feeling hopeful for the return of the sun and a new year 🌞🌱😊

Edited by RebsAbbo
  • Like 2

Posted

Standing on my kitchen step with a cup of tea, watching the sky ablaze…..is there anything better on this winter’s morn?

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Shelter, Building, Sunset, Housing, Roof, House, Hut      Could contain: Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Sunset, Tree, Plant
However, on the other side of reality…..I’m watching the unicorns at Stonehenge! I swear I’m awake, I think 🤔 🤔 

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Head, Stonehenge, Landmark

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
4 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

Standing on my kitchen step with a cup of tea, watching the sky ablaze…..is there anything better on this winter’s morn?

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Shelter, Building, Sunset, Housing, Roof, House, Hut      Could contain: Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Sunset, Tree, Plant
However, on the other side of reality…..I’m watching the unicorns at Stonehenge! I swear I’m awake, I think 🤔🤔 

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Head, Stonehenge, Landmark

Snap, took these pic's on the way to work, samsung doesn't do it justice 😬

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Sunset, Sunlight, Sunrise, Horizon, Scenery

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Sunset, Sunrise, Sunlight, Horizon, Scenery

• Like 6

Posted

I recall a few years ago hearing about some intrepid walkers completing the Lyke Wake walk across the N Yorkshire Moors entirely under cover of darkness at the winter solstice, so 42 miles from Ravenscar to Osmotherley in c 17 hours. I wonder whether that still happens?   

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I recall a few years ago hearing about some intrepid walkers completing the Lyke Wake walk across the N Yorkshire Moors entirely under cover of darkness at the winter solstice, so 42 miles from Ravenscar to Osmotherley in c 17 hours. I wonder whether that still happens?   

You’d think it would be better during the summer solstice 🤷🏼‍♀️