Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Lovely to drive home this afternoon still in daylight at 4pm.  Sun going down by 4.30pm with nice skies to end the day but at 1c it was good that I’ve just passed the gritter 🚚 👍🏼.

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Sunset, Horizon, Sunrise, Sunlight    Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Horizon, Sunset, Sunrise, Sunlight

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

-1 currently at Staxton weather station, cars all frozen over by 7pm, gonna be a cold night with these clear skies!

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

-1 currently at Staxton weather station, cars all frozen over by 7pm, gonna be a cold night with these clear skies!

Cold this morning at 6am, cars still frozen, but temperatures rising as cloud cover came in. Had to laugh at the BBC 'forecast' this morning, as it seemed to be coming from a different dimension to the one we are in. Maybe mild and wet later, but certainly not first thing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

It was a heavy frost this morning, roads well & truly covered. 1.6c at 8.15am. Spectacular sunrise, pics taken over the course of 10 mins as I walked along the top. Soon after though the clouds descended & brought rain. Currently 3c.

Sorry for the overkill, but I do love it so. I really should start taking my proper camera out as I can’t capture the light as well as I’d like.

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Horizon, Sunset, Scenery, Sunrise, Sunlight     Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Horizon, Handrail, Railing, Grass, Scenery, Sunset, Bridge

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Sunset, Horizon, Sunrise, Sunlight, Scenery   Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Horizon, Cloud, Sunset, Sunrise, Scenery    

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Horizon, Sunrise, Sunset, Sunlight, Sun, Scenery     Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Sunlight, Horizon, Sunset, Sunrise, Scenery, Flare, Light  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
3 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

It was a heavy frost this morning, roads well & truly covered. 1.6c at 8.15am. Spectacular sunrise, pics taken over the course of 10 mins as I walked along the top. Soon after though the clouds descended & brought rain. Currently 3c.

Sorry for the overkill, but I do love it so. I really should start taking my proper camera out as I can’t capture the light as well as I’d like.

Ooo they are wonderful shots.  Thanks for sharing  😊

• Thanks 1

Posted

Well back to lunchtime bike rides... Today was cold and damp but not actually raining. Wind S force 4-5 with 7c which felt colder with the wind. 100% cloud and the rain never far away.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

well january 3rd and still not seen a snowflake in west hull,winters really are poor for snow now in hull and surrounding areas.last really heavy snow event in hull was 12 years ago.kids in school now aged 12 or 13 have never seen a really heavy fall of snow in the hull area.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

well january 3rd and still not seen a snowflake in west hull,winters really are poor for snow now in hull and surrounding areas.last really heavy snow event in hull was 12 years ago.kids in school now aged 12 or 13 have never seen a really heavy fall of snow in the hull area.

Mike, if you see the photos I’ve posted in ‘Favourite calendar year for weather’ thread, they were from 1979 & in West Hull - my best memory of snow growing up there! 

Posted

11c 😱…..who’d have thought, it’s positively balmy out there! Cloud & sunshine, strong wind though. Deer frightened me to death this morning, I’d already passed them, not knowing they were there & then they decided to race along the opposite side of the hedgerow to me but really close - I thought I was in the horse race in Mary Poppins 🎠🎠😁. By the time I got the camera out they decided to turn & head over the field.

Warning, play without sound as the wind is strong..

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, RebsAbbo said:

11c 😱…..who’d have thought, it’s positively balmy out there! Cloud & sunshine, strong wind though. Deer frightened me to death this morning, I’d already passed them, not knowing they were there & then they decided to race along the opposite side of the hedgerow to me but really close - I thought I was in the horse race in Mary Poppins 🎠🎠😁. By the time I got the camera out they decided to turn & head over the field.

Warning, play without sound as the wind is strong..

907AED95-5637-486D-AA86-72B42ACDE09E.MOV 15.25 MB · 1 download  

Aww, their wee little white bottoms bounding away. That must have been quite a sight having them run alongside you.

• Like 1

Posted

Can vouch for the wind, lunchtime ride had 3 miles of my 10 miles into a force 7-8 probably gusting 9 SW on the exposed bits, talk about Dutch Hills...

Otherwise OK, sunny, mild, but that wind.

• Like 2

Posted
On 03/01/2023 at 17:04, MIKE LEVITT said:

I posted in the winter thread a while back a rather astonishing stat. The last time there was more than 5cm of snow here was January 2013 (10 years ago!) and the cumulative total of snowfall since then here is just 11cm!

We did see a light covering in December from a couple of coastal snow showers, however it wasn't anything measurable and lasted about 36 hours.

Well be lucky to see any this side of 20th January looking at the models. Over half of the winter will be gone and again nothing.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, reef said:

I posted in the winter thread a while back a rather astonishing stat. The last time there was more than 5cm of snow here was January 2013 (10 years ago!) and the cumulative total of snowfall since then here is just 11cm!

We did see a light covering in December from a couple of coastal snow showers, however it wasn't anything measurable and lasted about 36 hours.

Well be lucky to see any this side of 20th January looking at the models. Over half of the winter will be gone and again nothing.

Only 3 weeks ago tho for 24/36hrs we had 3 inch of snow 25 miles (approx.?) North of you, Thurs 14/12/22

Not a scientific measurement btw😁

Could contain: Tree, Plant, Nature, Outdoors, Fir, Scenery, Road, Ice, Snow

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 2

Posted

Totally different day today, at least wind had dropped to a force 3-4 SW, cloudy, drizzle, cooler at 8c today. In terms of cycling much better, the head wind yesterday was bordering on impossible, but the greyness less welcome.

• Like 2

Posted

Not even a dog walk today, so very little to share, other than I’ve noticed the first snowdrops in the garden are pushing through 🌱👍🏼.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Breezy evening and it looks like a squall line maybe forming on the cold front.

Posted

Heavy rain for last hour or so with a gusty wind, squall line missed here but looks lively on the NW radar!

Posted

Today wasn't too bad, wind was force 4 SW, temps around 8c and some bright intervals, cycling was quite pleasant

One thing that has been noticable over the last few days is potholes appearing as a result the freezing weather before Christmas, a couple around the area are quite nasty, deep enough to do damage.

• Like 1

Posted

An invigorating walk today, wet, wild & windy. The wind is so strong & consistent on the top of the wold, you can lean back into it without any fear of falling back! It feels like you’re flying 🤗. Brightening up a little now & think we have a few dry hours this afternoon. Happy Saturday ☺️

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

An invigorating walk today, wet, wild & windy. The wind is so strong & consistent on the top of the wold, you can lean back into it without any fear of falling back! It feels like you’re flying 🤗. Brightening up a little now & think we have a few dry hours this afternoon. Happy Saturday ☺️

Certainly windy, got 8am phone call from Sis asking for help, her new field shelter for her ponies had blown over, took 5 of us and a jcb loader to stand it back up, it is not light as its a 3 in 1 for 3 ponies, local farmer brought us some large concrete blocks to anchor it to for now, breakfast was on my BIL afterwards 😊

• Like 3

Posted

There’s nothing on the radar & the forecast suggests there’s no rain in these clouds for another couple of hours, but there’s an interesting band of cloud moving north from the south west at the mo…..otherwise, a nice & calmer end to the day.

Could contain: Cumulus, Sky, Cloud, Weather, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Hammering down with rain as I type.

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Hammering down with rain as I type.

Same here BL, absolutely pouring it down, looks like it will clear shortly tho...

44 minutes ago, swfc said:

Anyone seen Scott on here? 🤔

Not seen him in here for a while tbh, 🤔

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1