Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

The northerly wind this morning did give the mild (6.8c) start a bit of a bite. Pretty grey with some drizzle. Down in Hull again today and managed to catch the Humber at a really low tide early evening.

Could contain: Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Cloud, Weather, Bridge, Suspension Bridge, Bird, Animal, Scenery

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Horizon, Scenery, Cloud, Beach, Water, Landscape, Weather

• Like 5

Posted

Lunchtime ride today produced very light winds, force 0 - 1 variable, broken cloud with some brightness and 7c all in all not too bad. The lack of wind does make for more pleasant cycling. As you can see Grindale airfield windsock looks very limp today. That is where I get the speed and direction of the wind while I am out.

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Field, Grassland, Land, Horizon

Edited by mike57
spelling
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Morning everyone. 4.3c currently which should feel cold really, but it doesn’t. It’s quite pleasant out there 🤷🏼‍♀️

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Cumulus, Weather, Cloud, Silhouette, Triangle, Shelter, Bird

Some interesting clouds passing over….look at those UFO clouds at the top of the hill! (Not a technical term 🤭)….

Could contain: Dog, Canine, Mammal, Pet, Animal, Horizon, Outdoors, Nature, Sky, Grass

Btw, not my pic….there’d be more sky if it were 😆😆

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

Morning everyone. 4.3c currently which should feel cold really, but it doesn’t. It’s quite pleasant out there 🤷🏼‍♀️

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Cumulus, Weather, Cloud, Silhouette, Triangle, Shelter, Bird

Some interesting clouds passing over….look at those UFO clouds at the top of the hill! (Not a technical term 🤭)….

Could contain: Dog, Canine, Mammal, Pet, Animal, Horizon, Outdoors, Nature, Sky, Grass

Btw, not my pic….there’d be more sky if it were 😆😆

They look like lenticularis to me, Rebs... Was the wind blowing across the Pennines? We used to see heaps of them when in the Highlands, especially on hot, humid, sunny days when the wind was in the west...

I remember from when I had my flying-saucer craze, those clouds were quite prominent among the 'evidence' presented -- along with just about any conveniently shaped object that could be suspended from a rearview mirror! 🛸🛸

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
42 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

They look like lenticularis to me, Rebs... Was the wind blowing across the Pennines? We used to see heaps of them when in the Highlands, especially on hot, humid, sunny days when the wind was in the west...

I remember from when I had my flying-saucer craze, those clouds were quite prominent among the 'evidence' presented -- along with just about any conveniently shaped object that could be suspended from a rearview mirror! 🛸🛸

Thanks Ed. Wind direction is westerly at the mo, so probably.

Aw, I was gonna post up my best UFO pics from 2021…but the quality if naff when I’ve uploaded them. Ah, well, you’ll just have to use your imagination! Basically it was a silver ‘0’ party balloon which floated across the sky, rotating & glinting in the sun, looked like a ship with lights! Very Close Encounters of the Third Kind 🤗

Edited by RebsAbbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

yet another terrible january for snow,having said that januarys rarely deliver in hull and east yorkshire.i remember we had a snow fall in jan 2013,but nothing special.the last really heavy snowfall in hull was 2010 and the really heavy snow fell in the last few days of november and first week of december.februarys also are now poor for snow.by the time you get to march,if it snows it rarely lies on ground long,as the sun is that much stronger.i may be wrong,but im not expecting much in the way of wintry weather for the rest of this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

wish we could get another february like 1969,i was still at school,but remember the frequent north winds coming for most of the month.heavy frequent snow showers most days.every so often you would get a short mild blip,then yet another depression would rattle through and the north wind would roar down again.type of weather we rarely get nowadays.happy days

Posted

Lunchtime saw 7c winds WNW force 4-6, not the worst direction for head winds on my usual route but still quite noticable. Unbroken sunshine with just a few very small clouds. BBC weather has been going on about 'mild' but it hasn't been that mild here, about average I would have said.

• Like 4

Posted

Another glorious day, much like yesterday but the wind is stronger. Clear blue skies, 8.5c & wind you can lean into. Hopefully @mike57 can give more detail of wind strength later today.

The cloud scape along the horizon is ever changing, being blown out to sea by the wind. Some nice build up & then it’s gone again!

Could contain: Pasture, Outdoors, Nature, Countryside, Field, Horizon, Grassland, Ground, Scenery, Meadow     Could contain: Pasture, Field, Nature, Outdoors, Countryside, Grassland, Meadow, Grass, Ranch, Tree

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well one of the windiest days for a while gusts to 54 mph.

• Like 4

Posted

Well, lunchtime bike 'ride', more of a slog into a gale for 3 miles of my 10 miles followed by a buffeting on the rest of it, my usual ride took 10 mins longer than usual. Wind was WSW force 6-8 gusting to 9 at a guess on the more exposed bits. Temperature 9c, but acedemic given the wind strength, and bright sunshine, if it hadnt been for the sun I think I would have turned back. Grindale windsock today, compare that with last week.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Lamp, Field

• Like 6

Posted

Windiest day for many a year. Long time since we had F6 for a length of time haven't beaten the 54 gust yet and the winds have now dropped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
On 30/01/2023 at 13:22, MIKE LEVITT said:

yet another terrible january for snow,having said that januarys rarely deliver in hull and east yorkshire.i remember we had a snow fall in jan 2013,but nothing special.the last really heavy snowfall in hull was 2010 and the really heavy snow fell in the last few days of november and first week of december.februarys also are now poor for snow.by the time you get to march,if it snows it rarely lies on ground long,as the sun is that much stronger.i may be wrong,but im not expecting much in the way of wintry weather for the rest of this winter.

I wouldn't worry it has been the same here in Sheffield all we have pretty much had this winter is dustings.

Posted

Breezy old start to the dayafter a breezy night.

• Like 1

Posted

A good howler again last night, but at a recorded high of 39mph it wasn’t anything if significance here. No damage or debris today thankfully.

At 7c and another clear day it should feel ok but it is a bitter wind still up on the top 🥶. Have a good one everyone.

• Like 2

Posted

Another day, same weather, temperatures a degree or so up on yesterday at 9c but again the main feature again is the wind, still W, and force 6-8, just not gusting quite as strong as yesterday, and broken cloud, mainly sunny.

I know I have mentioned this before but another change in the weather over the last 50+ years seems to be an increase in windy days, not the days when we have an depression with wind and rain, but basically fine days where the wind just blows all day. We had the same thing in the summer with temperatures in the high 20s and it felt like someone had left the gates to Hell open. I would be interested if there is any correlation between rising UK temperatures and increased average wind speeds.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Another day, same weather, temperatures a degree or so up on yesterday at 9c but again the main feature again is the wind, still W, and force 6-8, just not gusting quite as strong as yesterday, and broken cloud, mainly sunny.

I know I have mentioned this before but another change in the weather over the last 50+ years seems to be an increase in windy days, not the days when we have an depression with wind and rain, but basically fine days where the wind just blows all day. We had the same thing in the summer with temperatures in the high 20s and it felt like someone had left the gates to Hell open. I would be interested if there is any correlation between rising UK temperatures and increased average wind speeds.

Interesting post with my work been outside on a ladder you certainly get more windy days than ten years ago!

• Like 2

Posted

Windy days have declined here notably

WWW.SHEFFIELDWEATHER.CO.UK

Yesterday was like a throw back

• Insightful 3

Posted
14 hours ago, The PIT said:

Windy days have declined here notably

Interesting data, what I would like to do is to get more data, going back 50 years or more for a number of locations, but I suspect that before the advent of weather stations and digital techniques for recording wind speed granular data (like the linked table) is just not there.

I have put the data into a chart, and the 20 year trend certainly seems downwards, the thick fuzzy line is the annual values

Could contain: Line Chart, Chart

Edited by mike57
more info
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Well another re run of yesterday, and Tuesday, wind wise. Not quite as stong as yesterday, Grindale airfield wind sock estimate is force 5-7, backed slightly to SW, but cycling into it for 3 miles it didnt feel that different to yesterday or Tuesday, mainly because SW funnels straight down between the hedges on the long uphill run out of the village. Temperature at 10c which is mild, but with the wind didnt feel mild. Clouldy with just the odd sunny interval.

• Like 3

Posted

Just had a memory come up in my photos today…this day 10 years ago..

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Potted Plant, Backyard, Yard, Garden, Weather, Snow, Winter, Vegetation

• Like 4