Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

I know we were forecast a temp drop this weekend, but having forgotten to check the weather data before going out this morning I wasn’t quite expecting the 3c blast! Very fresh walk indeed, but glorious sunshine 👍🏼. Plenty of signs of spring….skylarks are twittering, & my first crocus in bloom in the garden. However, ice crystals in the atmosphere as shown by the 22 degree halo in the sky.

Could contain: Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Grass, Plant, Horizon, Sunlight, Field, Grassland, Scenery    Could contain: Tree, Plant, Tree Trunk, Ground     Could contain: Tree, Tree Trunk, Plant, Grassland, Outdoors, Nature, Field  

Could contain: Grassland, Field, Outdoors, Nature, Ground, Grass, Pasture, Countryside, Land, Windmill    Could contain: Grassland, Field, Nature, Outdoors, Countryside, Tree Trunk, Straw, Dog, Scenery, Ground   Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Road, Grassland, Azure Sky, Grass, Gravel

Could contain: Flower, Plant, Petal, Crocus

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Bit of a rinse & repeat today, but a tad cooler. A frosty start after -1c overnight.  1.6c at 10am for this morning’s walk. Despite the cold you’d be forgiven for listening to the birds that the earth is moving and seasons are changing….a pair of lapwings in the field, yellowhammers in the hedgerow & the skylarks are very vocal again.

Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Road, Scenery, Tarmac, Highway, Freeway

• Like 5

Posted

Despite being colder than last week it was more pleasant at lunchtime, as the wind was much lighter, force 3 S. Temp 6c and bright sunshine with high whispy cloud. Wish I had more than an hour, definately the sort of day for a longer ride. Improving daylight now means a bit of dawn in the east when I go for my 6am walk

• Like 3

Posted

Today, a degree warmer than yesterday at 7c even although sun has gone back into hiding, wind SW force 2-3. A cycling NOT day, not raining, not too hot, not too windy. A slight frost when I went for my early walk.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, mike57 said:

Today, a degree warmer than yesterday at 7c even although sun has gone back into hiding, wind SW force 2-3. A cycling NOT day, not raining, not too hot, not too windy. A slight frost when I went for my early walk.

Glad it warmed up later today…it was a very cold start this morning…..at 8.15am it was -2c & some defrosting of the car was needed!

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
27 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

Glad it warmed up later today…it was a very cold start this morning…..at 8.15am it was -2c & some defrosting of the car was needed!

'Some' defrosting? did you only do half the car 🤔😂😂 or are you posh with a car port 😉

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

'Some' defrosting? did you only do half the car 🤔😂😂 or are you posh with a car port 😉

Sounds like you had it tough this morning??? Had to defrost both sides of the car did you? By, you’re lucky to have 2 sides of a car!! 

However, that’s exactly how it was 😆😆….

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

Sounds like you had it tough this morning??? Had to defrost both sides of the car did you? By, you’re lucky to have 2 sides of a car!! 

However, that’s exactly how it was 😆😆….

When i say '2 sides' of a car, i mean a cardboard cut out, that i made from 2 sack clothes and some lambs wool.....😆😆

Posted
8 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

When i say '2 sides' of a car, i mean a cardboard cut out, that i made from 2 sack clothes and some lambs wool.....😆😆

😂 😂 lambs wool?? Posh!

You’re lucky…..I’ve only got a bit of ol’ mutton skin that I have to use as skis to get about….

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, RebsAbbo said:

😂 😂 lambs wool?? Posh!

You’re lucky…..I’ve only got a bit of ol’ mutton skin that I have to use as skis to get about….

Pfft, mutton skin!!! Your lucky.... We have nowt but the hard skin on the soles of our feet to get about, an ol' mutton skin would of been a treat for xmas dinner between 43 of us.....

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Pfft, mutton skin!!! Your lucky.... We have nowt but the hard skin on the soles of our feet to get about, an ol' mutton skin would have been a treat for xmas dinner between 43 of us.....

43??……🤣….Ok, you win 🤗

😘😴

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

43??……🤣….Ok, you win 🤗

😘😴

Same, just got in to my rolled up newspaper 😂😂😴

• Like 1

Posted

Hazy sunshine this morning and a mega 4c difference from yesterday…2c 😊

• Like 1

Posted

Lunchtime brought more wind than yesterday, estimate force 4 SSW 7c, and hazy sun. Didnt make Grindale airfield today as 15 mins ride time was last removing this from my bike tire. Scale is cm by the way.

Could contain: Text, Symbol, Number

Posted
9 hours ago, mike57 said:

Lunchtime brought more wind than yesterday, estimate force 4 SSW 7c, and hazy sun. Didnt make Grindale airfield today as 15 mins ride time was last removing this from my bike tire. Scale is cm by the way.

Could contain: Text, Symbol, Number

What is it Mike? Bone?

Posted
11 hours ago, RebsAbbo said:

What is it Mike? Bone?

No a Hawthorn thorn, horrible things, can even penetrate a car tyre. Unfortunately the mechanical flails that are used these days to dress the hedges spread them over the roads, unlike the old way of laying a hedge with a bilhook. I run the heavy duty Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres which are pretty resistant to most things, but nothing keeps these monsters out. Since I started riding every day I have had two or three punctures, and they have all been the result of Hawthorn thorns.

• Like 1

Posted

Today brought a return of the wind, not on the scale of last week, but still force 4-5 WSW. Temerature 9c and sunny. not too bad really. Did my full 10 miles today after yesterdays curtailed ride.

• Like 4

Posted

Agree, today was wonderful, had a quick stroll down to the Gypsey Race at lunchtime to see if there was any change in flow, and it was lovely in the sun, with far less of that bitter wind from yesterday.  Though the speed was about the same it was more WSW at lunch today, whereas yesterday it was more SSE.  9°C.  The mallards (5 pairs) were on the lawn for the first time on Monday, but not been back since.  (We miss them and feed them proper duck pellets during breeding time) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Pleasant enough day. The council using it's grit stock up so the roads caked in the stuff. No rain in the forecast to wash it away the cars going to get caked in the stuff. Reminds of a few years back although no frost forecast the council gritted like mad and with a dry spring the stuff was blowing around the road for weeks. Basically the council tends to use a tea spoon late autumn and early winter once we are into mid  January out comes the shovel  when cold weather is promised then by the end of Feb and early they seem to grit regardless of the forecast. Unless it's Derbyshire who don't bother gritting over then weekend it seems.

• Like 1

Posted

Despite the forecast showing cloud all day, the sun is determined to shine on us again today. 5.5c but wind chill still apparent.  Although this was a couple of hrs ago now, it is still trying 🤞🏼🌞

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Grassland, Field, Sun, Grass, Sunlight, Horizon, Scenery

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, RebsAbbo said:

Despite the forecast showing cloud all day, the sun is determined to shine on us again today. […] it is still trying 🤞🏼🌞

It didn’t succeed/last, sadly! I can see some strips of brightness clinging on, but nothing more now!  

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mat43 said:

It didn’t succeed/last, sadly! I can see some strips of brightness clinging on, but nothing more now!  

Yeah, I agree. The coast tried to hold it until about lunchtime….

Could contain: Horizon, Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Land, Grass, Plant, Field, Countryside

• Like 3

Posted

Temperature is still on it’s way up, after rising slowly all day… currently 9.4° hopefully no frost tonight for the garden 🙂 

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yes a pleasant spring day and it's only feb. Dug some compost into the vegetable patch and cut both lawns. Perhaps in a few years time we may be looking at cutting the grass all year round.

Posted

Well, today the forecasts have been completely wrong. Beautiful blue sky and sunshine so far all day. Feels lovely out in the garden, cleaning up and planting a few veg. Popped to Scarb to order a cake, and it was surprisingly quiet, I suppose it’s cloudy further west, reducing tourist traffic.  Reached 11.6° earlier and still no sign of any clouds 🙂 

• Like 3