Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, terrier said:

I think a very frustrating day ahead for many of us. Been a mix of sleet and light snow here. Roads and pavements are absolutely soaked now. Maybe we will see something later on. But as a few have mentioned already the graphics have changed considerably on the latest weather. I know the amber alert is from 3pm onwards today but I’m sceptical I have to admit. 

No hint of sleet here, 100% snow at 90m asl. Not heavy enough to settle on the roads yet though.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Away from the road and paths it's accumulating nicely and looks lovely, but you can see how wet the road is, it's no where near settling on there at the moment:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Plant, Tree, Frost, Snow, Fir, WoodCould contain: Path, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Road, Boat, Outdoors, Water, Handrail, Weather

Ended up very marginal, the trending south of this system stopped a day ago, seems like it’s final position was slightly further north, would have rather it zipped through slightly further south, totally killed this off east of the A1 it seems.

Posted

Could be some big depth differences between grass/raised surfaces and roads/pavements by the end of this. 

Anyway snow cover looks fantastic away from the surfaces that we humans have put in.  Go to an open field or just look at the back garden and it is a winter wonderland. 

Edited by Tim A
  • Like 1

Posted

Constant light snow with a temp of 0.1c. Like others have reported pavements and roads are soaked so nothing accumulating here yet. Suspect they won't be until after darkness unless it really does pick up in the afternoon. Got a couple of cms now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I think low lying areas will join in the fun more when low tracks further East and winds switch to a more northerly. 

Might have to wait till tonight for this though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, terrier said:

I think a very frustrating day ahead for many of us. Been a mix of sleet and light snow here. Roads and pavements are absolutely soaked now. Maybe we will see something later on. But as a few have mentioned already the graphics have changed considerably on the latest weather. I know the amber alert is from 3pm onwards today but I’m sceptical I have to admit. 

Please ignore the graphics, they are irrelevant today. It's 9:30am. Those in the amber warning need not worry.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mhielte said:

Please ignore the graphics, they are irrelevant today. It's 9:30am. Those in the amber warning need not worry.

Amber warning is from 3pm isn't it. 

Time yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Bradowl said:

Amber warning is from 3pm isn't it. 

Time yet. 

Yep not even kicked in yet and already 7cm in north Sheffield, and definitely starting to get a little more heavy, will the wind pick up later to 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Good morning from Rosedale Abbey on North York Moors. A dusting here so far with continuous light snow. Wife just messaged me to say it’s snowing at home but VERY wet marginal stuff as it’s currently 0.7°C with a few of 0.1°C. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Shelter, Nature, Weather, Bench, Truck, Tree, Wood, Car, Ice

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, bazookabob said:

I'd be very surprised if we get anything other than snow here, not sure what the predicted dew points are but -5 T850s are more than low enough for this kind of event. It's just a case of waiting for the heavy precipitation to arrive lunchtime onwards. What's we've got now is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. 

-5 T850s is perfect with little wind as evaporative cooling comes into play. Problem is with a strengthening easterly wind later will milder air from north sea mix in a little and not sure you get evaporative cooling in mod/strong winds. 

Not sure this is good or not, just been for run up mad mile to springs and up there, like here nothing settling on roads/pavements yet and that's in an area I would class as a safe zone for guaranteed heavy settling snow later.  

Posted

Light to moderate snow here. Fun and games aren't going to start really for the amber warming area's for a good few hours yet imo. Got an inch in shed roof and slightly less on other favourable areas.

I'm expecting between 10/20 cm here by tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Slightly too warm for lying snow in Lincoln, it started off as sleet here with the temperature at the University's weather station rising to 2.3C, and as it got heavier it has turned to snow with the temperature falling to 1.5C, but really for lying snow it needs to be 1C or lower. 

But another slight correction south on the GFS means that the 0C 850hPa isotherm stays to the south of Lincoln throughout.  I expect it to stay too marginal during the rest of today, but it could well sleet and snow for most of the day, and early tomorrow morning remains the most likely time to see lying snow here as the Arctic north/north-easterly kicks in.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Moderate snow fall here already. Looking at the radar, the heavier stuff is due in 30 minutes / an hour. They really should have started the amber warning a lot earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm working IT in north Sheffield today and it has picked up a fair bit in the last half hour. Surfaces that were struggling to get cover are now completely white. As Tim says other surfaces have quite a bit already.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
2 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Mate your right in epicentre 25-40cm for you 🕸️🥶

I know pal, knew it would be, meant to fly out of LBA tomorrow morning that’s not looking great. Booked travel lodge over the road for tonight so at least I’m there and heading over before the main snow arrives. Been part of this group help me to make the decision of booking earlier this week before all room went and what a great decision that’s been 👌😂

• Like 1

Posted

Daughters just said it's snowing at Scarborough where she lives, if it's snowing on coast it boads well for us inland. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

It's slid off my car bonnet now and i see bits falling off the house past the window. Seems to be a very slight melt!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Moderate wet snow here but no chance of sticking at 1.2°C with a dew of 0.8°C. Ironically it’s snowing but my snow from last night is slowly melting. 🥲

Posted
Just now, Winter Cold said:

It's slid off my car bonnet now and i see bits falling off the house past the window. Seems to be a very slight melt!

Thought it was just me, same here, snow has picked up but defo a slight thaw in places (soil etc..). Hopefully it continues to get heavier. 

Posted

Persistent light-to-moderate snow for the last 3+ hours here in SW Sheffield - topping up what was present from yesterday and overnight.  Roads/pavements covered (and enough now to make it difficult for cars to go up hills).

Schools not closed yet 🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
2 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Thought it was just me, same here, snow has picked up but defo a slight thaw in places (soil etc..). Hopefully it continues to get heavier. 

Yes I think this next few hours into max daytime heating will be nervy to get through.

Hopefully this evening will cool down quickly and the really heavy stuff will arrive on queue 🤞

Posted

1c here, still moderate/heavy snow, easily a couple inches on surfaces where its settled, only a thin covering on the paths though.