Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Really light snow here now.

Waiting the heavier stuff and biting easterlies later. 

Start again lol

Posted
Just now, Steel City Skies said:

Yep pretty much as expected, thanks Lee. Pepping up later on with the highest disruption at elevation.

What I did find odd with the graphics though was it showed the afternoon precip pulsing in from the SE, but we can see on the radar it's coming in from the SW or WSW as the hi-res models show 🤷‍♂️

This is why we confused lkl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

It had nearly stopped here but snowing again now. No hint of sleet here.

Did see some melting in the past hour which is a shame but that forecast from Paul still said an active night to come so we should be ok 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

I wouldn’t be moaning about that. I’d be perfectly happy if the entire thing was 50 miles further south and we missed out entirely. Let the southerners enjoy the slush!

Trust me everyone down South would be over the moon even with a slush event. It could probably be a red warning there also. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looking at some of the latest model outputs, including the UKV, it looks like temperatures are forecast to increase a little in most parts of Yorkshire as well as Lincolnshire during the afternoon and evening, so low lying areas could see precipitation falling increasingly as sleet or rain rather than snow.  North Yorkshire looks like holding onto the colder air with temperatures staying around freezing, so any precipitation in N Yorkshire should largely be snow, though precipitation looks like being more limited in N Yorkshire which will limit accumulations.  On higher ground well inland, especially around the Pennines, this evening looks like being pretty snowy.

Colder air comes back down from the north between midnight and 8am tomorrow morning which means that away from eastern coastal fringes, there will probably be a spell of snow to low levels and areas that see relatively heavy snow should wake up to a covering.  Areas near sea level that dodge the heavier precipitation may not see lying snow though, so there are no guarantees, but I reckon for most of us at low levels tomorrow morning has a fair chance of producing a covering.  Eastern coastal areas have a chance of seeing a covering from east coast snow showers behind the main band, though there's a good chance that there will be a thaw tomorrow afternoon as the sun gets out.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The temp has risen a bit to 0.5c and there is some dripping now, but it isn't really because milder air has come up from the South (still 1c across the Midlands) but because the snow has gone very light and it is the middle of the day in March. 

March 22 2013, there was a lot more snow on all surfaces, but there was a period for an hour or so in the middle of the event when it starting slowly thawing even at 200m, then it re-froze and everything was lethal. Don't really want to compare the events but March daylight is always an issue. 

Edited by Tim A
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Steel City Skies said:

Yep pretty much as expected, thanks Lee. Pepping up later on with the highest disruption at elevation.

What I did find odd with the graphics though was it showed the afternoon precip pulsing in from the SE, but we can see on the radar it's coming in from the SW or WSW as the hi-res models show 🤷‍♂️

Graphics did exactly that on the late Look North yesterday evening.  Still perhaps being pessimistic but if these graphics are right then it remains marginal for most of the night away from high ground.  Here are a couple of random snapshots during the video.

Could contain: Screen, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Computer Hardware, Monitor, Tie, Face, Sea

Could contain: People, Person, Adult, Male, Man, Formal Wear, Tie, Screen, Monitor, Crowd

Posted
58 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I sense a bit of disappointment from fellow members which is not justified imo. Currently reaching 6cm here, coming down heavily with big flakes but this is not the case. This is "Mediterranean style" snow in March. We need to enjoy it as it is. Most probably you won't see any major depths on roads unless there's some higher intensity later this evening and night. Personally I'd rather have the roads clear. 

That said, I'd take this kind of snow 5 times in every winter compared to the dry risk of very cold Easterlies. This ofc has the IMBY bias and I understand everyone down South will be disappointed. 

In Harrogate it's snowing non stop since 1pm yesterday. Light and moderate snow yesterday, the heaviest stuff right now. 

Blimey, absolutely nothing in Pateley Bridge, apart from the surrounding hills, so you are very lucky in Harrogate!.  Can you blow it our way please😀

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Tim A said:

The temp has risen a bit to 0.5c and there is some dripping now, but it isn't really because milder air has come up from the South (still 1c across the Midlands) but because the snow has gone very light and it is the middle of the day in March. 

March 22 2013, there was a lot more snow on all surfaces, but there was a period for an hour or so in the middle of the event when it starting slowly thawing even at 200m, then it re-froze and everything was lethal. Don't really want to compare the events but March daylight is always an issue. 

Yeah, March snow is usually rubbish unless it’s accompanied by proper cold air. 

Posted

Died down a little earlier but definitely starting to pick up again now,does the wind come next to 💨❄️Flakes definitely getting bigger again 

Edited by 1947s coming
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well the local high School has closed (2pm) to avoid 'heavy snow & rush hour'......maybe we will see the Amber warranted?

Posted

My friend lives in Wakefield and this is her view she's not happy 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

1 minute ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Amber still on for the places shown on the update. System will stall and pivot afterwards. 

For our region +? 

Posted
Just now, LeeSnowFan said:

Someone else parked in her space? 😜

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

That was earlier in Dronfield before the thaw set in it is now starting to cover again heavy snow here currently looks like it's set in now. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Car, Vehicle, Winter, Weather, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Bird

7 minutes ago, 1947s coming said:

Died down a little earlier but definitely starting to pick up again now,does the wind come next to 💨❄️Flakes definitely getting bigger again 

Absolutely hammering it down South Sheffield/North Derbyshire border and heading your way by the looks of things. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well after seeing that look north lunchtime forecast that’s my enthusiasm gone for this spell. Very marginal away from the highest ground. So unless you’re up at the highest elevation I would say we are pretty much done. 😩

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Heaviest it's been all day at the moment now. Let's please have this all night 🤞🌨️🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Amber still on for the places shown on the update. System will stall and pivot afterwards. 

Looks like the northward movement continues until much later tonight and the pivot south east doesn’t start until after midnight. That doesn’t look great for my area.  And to put the tin lid on it, we now have rain!

Posted
4 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

For our region +? 

You're in the amber warning Lee. 

I think some of the members here forgot how these LPs behave. There's convergence, stall and pivot. There are no streamers, no bands of showers. 

Snow is lighter here now as the first front that stalled above us is weakening and is moving out of the way. Let's see what happens next. 

• Like 2

Posted

Back to snow, i think, in north Leeds. Wonder if i'll be just too far west for the band over Sheffield. We'll see! Still reasonably confident most of us will wake up to decent covering tomorrow 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Im not writing anything off half hour before the Amber even kicks in. 

Lets just see what the evening brings. 

Plus anything is better than nothing

• Like 3

Posted

Heavy snow again here, it's melted off the trees but now coming down again thick and fast 

• Like 1

Posted

what a change, sleet/snow most of the day, around 1.30 was heavy snow which has given a nice covering, back to rain by 4pm which is a shame if the forecast is right

16 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

So far ahead of the BBC forecasts in terms of presentation and graphics these days. 

Posted

Also,when the east winds pick up, moisture from the north sea will be added into the equation. I can see a decent late evening,overnight period coming up.

• Like 1