Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sara_south_yorks said:

Really coming down here at the min. 

No struggle with settling on the paths or the main road either now. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Nature, Machine, Wheel

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Winter, Snow, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

I'm not far from you at all and just shows how different it is with slight elevation!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Still only light here, it's actually melting faster than it's falling!

Van has been on the drive 6 hours now and the layer that built up with this afternoon's heavy spell around half 4 is almost gone. Windscreen is just a thin layer of slush now

I am not suprised looks like lower ground in Sheffield is going to sturggle for accumulated snow unless it really gets heavy. 

Just been from Dronfield to Crystal Peaks the difference is ridiculous there is about 15cm level snow on Dronfield  where as at Crystal Peaks lucky if there is a few cm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Craigers said:

I'm not far from you at all and just shows how different it is with slight elevation!

Yeah the varying reports from barnsley are surprising aren't they.  

Seems elevation has been key today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

just on my way to bed and had a look out of the window.....

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Winter, Snow, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Blizzard, Storm

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Winter, Night, Snow, Storm

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The flat point behind the cold front and before the rear tilt is just north of Blackpool now. Somewhere east or south of there (Whetherby if it's not too flat) is going to have a cracker given how lovely the back half looks. 

We should be good but there's a chance of a gap unless it sinks a little.

Thank you for the info! It's really a nightmare to forecast weather in this country even with an Atlantic system in play. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 minute ago, Cheese Rice said:

How's the snow looking where you are?

I'm back at height rather than in Leeds (170m, not far from Chain Bar). We did pretty well during the afternoon (round about 2-3 inches). Snow looked a tad wet though in the early evening.

It picked up an hour ago and we finally lost the the road since it's not been gritted since about 6. 

Met Office should be correct here.

Aim is to hit 13cm for the best event since 2013.

• Like 2

Posted

As many have alluded to, altitude really playing a massive difference tonight, at ~100m here we've got nothing like a winter wonderland! Amazing scenes in Sheffield though, great to see! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well this is our main road tonight and it’s still hammering it down. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a foot of snow come tomorrow morning. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Footprint, Snow

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I'm back at height rather than in Leeds (170m, not far from Chain Bar). We did pretty well during the afternoon (round about 2-3 inches). Snow looked a tad wet though in the early evening.

It picked up an hour ago and we finally lost the the road since it's not been gritted since about 6. 

You mean March 2013? Best event was Jan 2021 with 30cm+ if I remember well. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

You mean March 2013? Best event was Jan 2021 with 30cm+ if I remember well. 

Winter 21 saw a number of events (on par with 13) but none of them were especially deep here. 9cm was the maximum.

Feb 18 peaked at 12cm. 

March 13 I sadly did not measure but there's only 1 event that from memory may have rivalled though it's hard to say thanks to drifting. Jan 13 did peak at 16cm though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
32 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

I'm no Michael Fish or Ian McGaskil but if we are in for a big surprise come tomorrow morning I reckon it will come from this area here.

If that reaches us like that in the early hours on the pivot could drop us some serious snow.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

That’s dropping South through Wales. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, terrier said:

Well this is our main road tonight and it’s still hammering it down. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a foot of snow come tomorrow morning. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Footprint, Snow

I don't think the main ppn have reached yet. I can tell because here we have temporarily gusts of wind and after a while snow comes down from several directions. It should stall somewhere and then pivot. One can dream. 

Posted

Nice steady accumulation on all surfaces since about 3pm today here to the south of Holmfirth. Forecasts about right for here, it’s a lovely winter wonderland, looking forward to a snow day tomorrow. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Winter, Weather, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, fazzafarrand said:

Absolutely nothing here in Normanton 

Im with you there mate. Approaching 14 hours of snow falling with no accumulation. ☹️

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Intensity is rubbish here maybe averaging 0.25cm an hour 

Looking at around 10cm maybe. 

Could contain: Furniture, Nature, Outdoors, Home Decor, Chair, Couch, Lawn, Lawn Mower, Plant, Tool

• Like 1

Posted

Measured average of 9cm here , as others have said it's building up really slowly though at the moment. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Looks like by the end of this in the highest parts of Sheffield it will be the deepest snow in 13 years even deeper than the BFTE! 

Could contain: Advertisement, Outdoors, Poster, Nature, Tree, Vegetation, Text, Water, Page, Car

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Measured average of 9cm here , as others have said it's building up really slowly though at the moment. 

It's about to really ramp up soon for you lot NW leeds, can tell from radar!

Posted

Still relatively light snow in my part of Leeds, with some moderate bursts. Got about 5cm where it didn't melt and everywhere else is fully covered. Reckon 10cm is still possible when the ppn comes back south, but even if not I'm happy to have finally seen some decent snow this winter (spring!)

Could contain: Garden, Nature, Outdoors, Path, Walkway, Gardening, Shelter, Slate, Flagstone, Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Just been out for a lovely snowy walk for a couple of hours. Big takeaway is altitude has made a huge difference. At home when I set out, 140m  or so, no massive depths, pavements covered, side roads sort of and well gritted main roads meh. Walked through the wildest of the easterly blasts eastwards towards Halifax, picking up elevation and within 20 minutes it was a winter wonderland with cars crawling along, inches depth and a bit of a struggle walking, especially on cobbled bits. Like that for an hour or so climbing up to the Wainhouse Tower in Halifax. That was up at about 200m. Stayed around to admire the views then back down past the Wainhouse pub (tempted but didn't go in). On way back down notable change at about 125m on Pye Nest Road with a teady drip, drip and slushy underfoot. Through the centre and back up above Sowerby Bridge and about a quarter of a mile from home, the distinctive crunch of icy snow underfoot. Back home, as it was but a bit more depth, fluffy snow, still covering but in cm rather than in.

So, a big difference between 125m and 200m. Let's see what happens as the cold front comes across. I can see the 6 inches suggested for around here and up a bit by morning, will wake early and go and see when it's light. Will also remember to take a phone that has been charged next time.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1