Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted

Yea it’s very disappointing for snow but the cold and frost is lovely to look at than a raging westerly! 

Thursday is looking good at the moment for us. Hope it stays like it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Maybe a few light flurries later. Potentially more interest from Tuesday onwards. I have a driving test on Tuesday so hopefully not too bad on Tues!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
25 minutes ago, CPK East Durham Coast said:

I’m on the east Durham coast and I can see a massive bank of cloud to the north which isn’t showing in a radar?

(hello by I’m back after 3 years)

Hmm it's probably just cloud with no precipitation in it sadly! Unless it's too far out for radar to pick up? I dunno!! Hopefully full of snow haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
45 minutes ago, CPK East Durham Coast said:

I’m on the east Durham coast and I can see a massive bank of cloud to the north which isn’t showing in a radar?

(hello by I’m back after 3 years)

Driving back from Durham towards Chester le street you can see the build up of clouds looking towards the north/north east. 

Posted

Clutching at straws but the radar is showing some small developments at sea, hopefully these can continue developing before hitting land- and then it's fingers crossed it is white as no guarantee, there is quite a bit of sleet further north if the radar is to go by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Freezing Fog has rolled into Darlington, poor visibility and -2c, Radar looking interesting for later maybe 

Posted

Looks like the rotation would need to drop a hundred miles south and rotate anticlockwise in order to get any sort of showers into the region.

Everywhere looks pretty bland looking at the radar,  only a few showers heading into wales and devon and the obvious showers in the highlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A few showers are drifting into Northumberland now, there's quite a sharp shower showing on the radar just north of Ashington

There's a slight onshore wind now so I expect some places near the east coast to get a few showers overnight, although they'll probably not make it far inland given how weak the flow is

Posted
7 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

A few showers are drifting into Northumberland now, there's quite a sharp shower showing on the radar just north of Ashington

There's a slight onshore wind now so I expect some places near the east coast to get a few showers overnight, although they'll probably not make it far inland given how weak the flow is

The on shore wind is north of Newcastle. Clouds were moving west to east in the very South of the region. 

Posted

I'm sure @geordiekev wind vector chart would confirm where the low is and wind direction but this is where I think the low currently is judging by the cloud movement

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Hurricane

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow
32 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

I'm sure @geordiekev wind vector chart would confirm where the low is and wind direction but this is where I think the low currently is judging by the cloud movement

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Hurricane

Yeah I think that's probably about right.  The precipitation charts seem to show the showers coming a bit more onshore tomorrow morning so presumably the low is expected to drift slightly southwards overnight. 

Posted

temp just dropped to -3c here, heavy frost outside, no sign of snow near my location yet, gonna watch England match and check radar later, hopefully something might crop up🤞

Posted
8 minutes ago, gazzac69 said:

temp just dropped to -3c here, heavy frost outside, no sign of snow near my location yet, gonna watch England match and check radar later, hopefully something might crop up🤞

With you on that one

Posted
5 minutes ago, Chris. said:

I reckon that group of showers off the coast at sunderland will make their way in

They have been moving very slowly. Been watching them since 4pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I don't think there is much chance for our region tonight. The main band of showers is stuck in Aberdeenshire and doesn't seem to be moving. Oh well the hunt continues. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tucka20 said:

The 18z gfs shows potential for some white stuff in the region in the next 24 hours. I'll cross my fingers

Could contain: Plot, Map, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest

That’s as bad as missing a pen in the World Cup! Just a little under the bar please 🙏 

• Like 1