Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Temps fell slightly below zero earlier then had a slight shower of rain that has froze solid on the car. Roads could be very dangerous tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Yeah, we don't do as well with a more northerly component compared to a proper NW flow. My weather station reading 1 degree here and went outside to car which is covered in ice, must have been freezing rain as it doesn't look frozen 6ft away. Roads will be treacherous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

Weather station is reading 2.9 and just plain old rain here.

• Like 1

Posted

Dew point just went below zero here temp 1.1

Precip stopped about an hour ago, if we get any more, should fall in some form of whiteness...

• Like 1

Posted

I wouldn't rule out everything just yet. As a matter of fact, I personally believe that for my location this stint over the coming days could yield better (albeit it wouldn't take much).

At the end of the day we could be in a very different position such as the one seen last year. There has been plenty of opportunities to get out and about as much as we can which is something we all need in these times.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Runway26 said:

I wouldn't rule out everything just yet. As a matter of fact, I personally believe that for my location this stint over the coming days could yield better (albeit it wouldn't take much).

At the end of the day we could be in a very different position such as the one seen last year. There has been plenty of opportunities to get out and about as much as we can which is something we all need in these times.

You lads out in the North West always do better than over this side.

Do you work at Derry City airport by any chance?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

You lads out in the North West always do better than over this side.

Do you work at Derry City airport by any chance?

Yeah that is true, I'm close to sea-level in quite a narrow but steep valley so whilst I don't get pasted, I do get to see it I suppose!

No I don't actually, just involved in aviation more generally in NI/ROI. I do know people who do however.

Posted
1 minute ago, Runway26 said:

Yeah that is true, I'm close to sea-level in quite a narrow but steep valley so whilst I don't get pasted, I do get to see it I suppose!

No I don't actually, just involved in aviation more generally in NI/ROI. I do know people who do however.

I used to have a pilot's licence years ago before my hearing went and recognised the runway number for Derry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.

Even when we do get a bit of cold in where's the precipitation? Thankless task looking for snow for the vast majority of us.

Posted

Seen this on Facebook. Maybe some surprises by morning

Screenshot_20210120-235621_Facebook.jpg

Edited by jello

Posted

Looks like that band is already moving in behind the showers 

Screenshot_20210121-001151_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Woke up this morning and looked at the radar which showed massive showers moving down from the North.

Get's excited, looks out window at 127mtrs,  pouring rain.

Posted

Complete rubbish MS, nothing here too

• Like 2

Posted

Very disappointing to say the least. Early frost last night then temps started rising again. What do we have to do to get a bit of snow. It really is slim pickings. Hopefully get a Spring trip away somewhere but very doubtful. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.

MONTHLY FORECAST, ISSUED TUESDAY 19 JANUARY 2021

Week 1 (Friday 22 January to Thursday 28 January)

With low pressure dominant across Ireland and most of northern Europe for this period, Ireland will lie in an unsettled, mainly westerly airflow. This will lead to normal or slightly above normal precipitation across the country. The west and southwest in particular will see wetter than normal conditions as this Atlantic regime brings frontal systems from the west. However, a northwesterly component to this airflow will bring slightly colder than normal temperatures for much of the country, with the northern half of the country expected to be coldest.

Week 2 (Friday 29 January to Thursday 04 February)

Low pressure continues its dominance over Ireland and much of northern Europe for this period. This will maintain similar conditions to the previous week, with low pressure systems passing near or over Ireland, bringing largely unsettled conditions. Again, precipitation will be slightly above normal for many parts of the country as these low pressure systems bring outbreaks of rain at times. However, temperatures will generally return closer to normal for the time year, apart from in parts of the north and northwest, which are indicated to be slightly cooler than normal.

Week 3 (Friday 05 February to Thursday 11 February)

This period brings an increase in uncertainty but current indications suggest that low pressure south of Ireland and high pressure to the north will bring a dominantly easterly airflow over the country. This easterly airflow will bring near normal or slightly colder than normal temperatures across Ireland, with a risk of frosts at night. Much of the country will experience near normal rainfall, with the northwest indicated to be drier than normal. However, the south and east coasts are indicated to be slightly wetter than normal as the easterly flow will feed showers from the Irish Sea into these areas. There is potential for some showers to turn wintry given the cold temperatures.

Week 4 (Friday 12 February to Thursday 18 February)

Confidence in this period is low at this stage. However, current indications for this period suggest that Ireland will lie between low pressure to the east and high pressure to the west. This will establish a more northerly airflow over the country, bringing cooler than normal conditions to most areas. However, this week is also indicated to be more settled than previous periods with slightly drier than normal conditions in many areas.

- Met Eireann Long Range Forecast. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Just dropped the kids off at creche there and got a good look at Mullaghcarn mountain outside Omagh. Even at 550m asl there is only really a dusting of snow, pathetic.

Posted
3 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Woke up this morning and looked at the radar which showed massive showers moving down from the North.

Get's excited, looks out window at 127mtrs,  pouring rain.

Yep was freezing till that shower band come through i rank this winter so far worse than last year for are location.

• Like 2