Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Out for a very chilly walk with the dog and hoping this will make it a snowy one too ?️

PXL_20210208_164620246.thumb.jpg.00965633b0b1c9683133082d49057df1.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

12z GFS sums up our chances quite well for monday 15th with a rain event. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Long way off but GFS Operational setting that 'battleground' scenario once again.

12z is close to the kind of pattern we need to see in the SW for some proper snowfall.

This run not quite aligning all the pieces and the mild air pushes through, but the trend could be a good one if it can gain some support and back off the Atlantic a bit.

Seeing as this week looks very cold but without to much significant snowfall in our region (up to Friday anyway) something like the GFS is what we need to be looking out for going forward.

E3F45453-9C93-4F91-9E6C-CED4FD5A4ECF.thumb.png.19de838e615397c03d38c076e933b551.png

Edited by chris55
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Snow to rain for some of us. 

I wouldn't worry though, by the time next Monday comes, the front will barely make it past Plymouth and we will still be cold and dry.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
5 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Well its not all rain, at least initially, and we have to think how these systems have been pushed back west repeatedly in the current set up. Though IF, and its a big if, the pattern sets up like the GFS 12z there is some chance at least of these fronts holding back way more than being shown on this evenings runs.

7E1DD82D-EF96-4175-8AA1-ADBCE9EE8621.thumb.gif.6094b4b831fd9dee8132f4af67f0e24c.gif

Edited by chris55
  • Like 3

Posted

Met office still seem quite confident of significant snow events this month so I'll put my faith into them rather than the models at the moment. Gloasea is probably seeing things a little different. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
6 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Well its not all rain, at least initially, and we have to think how these systems have been pushed back west repeatedly in the current set up. Though IF, and its a big if, the pattern sets up like the GFS 12z there is some chance at least of these fronts holding back way more than being shown on this evenings runs.

7E1DD82D-EF96-4175-8AA1-ADBCE9EE8621.thumb.gif.6094b4b831fd9dee8132f4af67f0e24c.gif

To be fair, and speculating a little here admittedly, but the GFS 12z isn't a million miles away from that Meto update I posted earlier, regarding the weekend into next week etc.

Fronts coming in from the SW, turning to snow and not making it into Central/Eastern UK.  Admittedly, this run does bring milder air into our region and take the fronts further east, but we all know the GFS is eager with the easterly extent of Atlantic frontal systems and these things almost always correct west nearer the time, like we have seen this week.  Remember the colder weather was supposed to finish on Thursday this week, then it went to Friday, then Saturday, now we are looking at Sunday for northern and eastern parts of the region.

Anyway, enough speculating over a single GFS Op run from me.  Cold and dry remains the form horse for most of us for the foreseeable, as it has been for a while now.  Will be interesting to see how high Res modelling handles any Atlantic incursions at the end of the week and into the weekend.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, The Moving Planet said:

Met office still seem quite confident of significant snow events this month so I'll put my faith into them rather than the models at the moment. Gloasea is probably seeing things a little different. 

Hi is the BBC wrong for tomorrow has heavy snow symbols for a few hours I'm in ferndown Dorset thanks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold, & sunny & warm

In from work and temperature a chilly -1.6c and snowing very lightly. Will have full cover by this time next week but at least it's snowing which is more than forecast.

Let's keep being positive - at least the days are getting longer!

ht!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter- Cold, frost, snow. Summer- Warm and thundery.
6 minutes ago, mattyj said:

Hi is the BBC wrong for tomorrow has heavy snow symbols for a few hours I'm in ferndown Dorset thanks

If It's BBC then don't be surprised when you wake up to two inches of luncheon meat.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, mattyj said:

Yes were likely to see something tomorrow morning anytime from 3am onwards. There is a Steamer expected to push north through the region as the winds turn more eastily. Should Give a dusting if it comes off.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, gman88667733 said:

It has tried to very lightly snow a few time where I am right now. MO app has put a few more spells of snow tomorrow/Wednesday on there now, so who knows? I know the app isn't usually correct, but nice to see!

I'm on South Dartmoor, not a flake here. Even the washing on the line dried today in the sun

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

I'm on South Dartmoor, not a flake here. Even the washing on the line dried today in the sun

Terrible, isn't it!

Holding out hope for Thursday/Friday!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but bleddy rain
13 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

A chance for what

Rain probably - cold, cold rain 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Time for a shiny new thread yet? This is loooong!

Gimme 20 mins or so and I'll get a new one going!