Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
6 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

He was on snow watch and I’m pretty sure on here too but I can’t remember his name!

He was about 9 at the time. The exuberance of yoot.

Mr Crazy Snowfan from Loottons - how I miss his posts. Hope he's getting through lockdown OK.

The beginning of the end on Snow Watch was Jamez and how myself, Paul S and Osbourne absolutely ruined him on the board.

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mark wheeler said:

Been a member on here for years now . Must be about 2005 I think . I was a member on metcheck but then found my way to here and never looked back . Seen some great people come and go . John pike is one name that springs to mind . 

I've been on and off this site for many years past 2011 depending on life situation, however I always find my way back to here!

@Paul Sherman - yes South Ockendon, I do miss those days being so close to the Estuary as any decent streamer really did give a show , though any set-up that had an sort of southerly vector made things very marignal here due to the Thames. I remember multiple times here having sleety snow, whilst about 10 miles further north there'd be a decent covering. But that was the double edged sword of the Thames valley, great streams with lightning, but very marginal in other set-ups.

• Like 2

Posted

Guys and gals, just found this thread https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/72333-crazysnowmans-from-lutons/ his website still live, including a section on Doggie Broadis and the following snow watch tips which some of you may well deploy tonight:

Best way u is ables to see if it is the snowings at night is by:

1) Observes all lamposts nearby u's windows at nights. Makes sure they is ons!! U is ables to see heavyish snows in lampost light fallings softlys!

2) Shine u's torch out of u's window at nights straight aheads of you to see the if u is ables to see little flakes fallings!

(Makes sure u is not got dust on u's window sill like the me has cos me is got confused many times when dust is whiffy off sill into torch light and me is jump up and downs with excitements cos the me thinks me is snowings gufffaaaaaawwwwwwwww!!! doh!!!!)

3) at nights open u's back door with u's light on and stare ups at the sky from doorway!

U is bounds to see flakies fallings in the lights!!!!! If u is got flood lights even the betters, switchs them ons to see stunning bleezzards!!!

4) Check colour of clods at nights, is they yellowy? Then yes snow is comings!!!!!!!!!!!! Sky is very light when snow is comes!!!!

5) stand outsides with u's mouth wide opens and see if u is catch any flakies! U is shure to knows!!!

6) u is ables to see's snow fallings in passing car headlights!!!

7) take temperature reading of u's nose! If u is minus then u is knows outside is snowings!!!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

14 years for me, also a refugee from the BBC weather watch forum. That was such a frustrating forum, it’d just start snowing and they’d shut for the night!

Edited; it’s 15 years, keep forgetting its 2021! I joined January 2006

Ha ha I remember it so well literally on the dot it’d be like ‘oh it’s started to ....’ argh it’s 11pm lol. It seemed like we had a lot more snow then too (rose coloured glasses maybe) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I almost feel young. I joined Netweather back in the summer of 2012 but only started posting really by that following winter.

Rain is still falling here, despite it falling  as a wintry mix or even snow is every conceivable direction at the moment.

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I've been on and off this site for many years past 2011 depending on life situation, however I always find my way back to here!

@Paul Sherman - yes South Ockendon, I do miss those days being so close to the Estuary as any decent streamer really did give a show , though any set-up that had an sort of southerly vector made things very marignal here due to the Thames. I remember multiple times here having sleety snow, whilst about 10 miles further north there'd be a decent covering. But that was the double edged sword of the Thames valley, great streams with lightning, but very marginal in other set-ups.

What I think is great about this site Darran, is that the likes of yourself and people like Nick L, joined as excited youngsters and over time gained huge knowledge to become very respected posters. Nick L and a couple of others had made careers out it also, really nice to see.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, zubzero said:

Not sure what forum. But anyone remember. "Will it snow in Carlisle" themed post's. 

There was a real poster who used to reply to really in depth posts with just one line “Will it snow in Carlisle “ I have to bite my tongue sometimes not to write that

Posted
1 minute ago, southbank said:

@Paul Sherman nearly 12 years to the day you probably want to look away at these photos ??

EAF4E9CC-0EF8-4861-9011-FAC9469EBEFF.jpeg

571A77C0-AAEC-4737-A7E5-C8C83217A612.jpeg

151A3E9B-D45F-458B-B44F-E2409119BFCE.jpeg

B50BA709-2426-4097-88E1-3F4DF4301A59.jpeg

7CCE0DBE-3E92-414E-AE5A-5A52E09EBB68.jpeg

01st to 02nd Feb 2009 will forever be ingranied into my memory I still have Nightmares about it even now

But...............................I will raise you a 01st Dec 2010 haha

02DEC2010 532.jpg

02DEC2010 506.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, southbank said:

@Paul Sherman nearly 12 years to the day you probably want to look away at these photos ??

EAF4E9CC-0EF8-4861-9011-FAC9469EBEFF.jpeg

571A77C0-AAEC-4737-A7E5-C8C83217A612.jpeg

151A3E9B-D45F-458B-B44F-E2409119BFCE.jpeg

B50BA709-2426-4097-88E1-3F4DF4301A59.jpeg

7CCE0DBE-3E92-414E-AE5A-5A52E09EBB68.jpeg

Annoyingly I was at uni in Chichester when this event happened, I know my home got something close to a foot of snow. It was still surprisingly around in shaded places even 2 weeks later which really surprised me as the weather wasn't that cold after a few days.

However we also got amazingly luck in Chichester as although the main streamer was to the north a little streamer also set-up along the south coast, i'm guessing probably the shape of the shore from brighton down to Bognor allowed some sort of lift through some frictional effect. Ended up with a quickfire 2 inches, which whilst nothing compared to back home, was alot more than I had expected and is actually a event I fondly remember for being one of the least expected snowfalls I've seen.

Luckily December 10 delivered a strong event down there and I was in the sweetspot for it. Ended up with something around the 10 inch mark. The front came in far stronger and further west than expected.

Indeed I'd say parts of SW Surrey was in the sweet spot for three successive winters. Big falls from the Feb 09 streamer, big fall from the Jan 10 (almost a foot in places) and then the event in early Dec 10.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Aww great memories guys and girls! i also used to frequent snow watch and then here when it closed. I think i joined amongst the earliest ones? im sure i was member number under 100, but i could be wrong. Crazy snowman fan was brilliant. Ian Brown was... well Ian Brown.... I always wonder what happened to the member 'Coast' he was on the forum team and also from Eastbourne. he disapeared a while ago. Always love the site even when it kicks off with grumpy posts and arguments lol. But its a shame some of the real characters dont seem to be with us anymore.

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

01st to 02nd Feb 2009 will forever be ingranied into my memory I still have Nightmares about it even now

But...............................I will raise you a 01st Dec 2010 haha

02DEC2010 532.jpg

02DEC2010 506.jpg

Great photos looked like you managed to sneak a few more inches in dec 10

thats what I miss about a proper snow event not what’s currently on offer . Really enjoy the buzz in here , reports and some of us putting in all nighters or at least to silly o’clock . I still remember the first reports of 09 coming in from you and southender talking about tiny polythene type ball snow and thinking here we go again / thankfully a unique weather occurrence which was expertly explained by you to why we had such variation in that Thames streamer

• Like 2

Posted

The only thing I can remember posting on the old Snow Watch board was when I decided for some reason to translate part of the great 'John Kettley is a Weatherman' smash hit into low grade, distantly remembered, O level French.  I think mainly I was very pleased at the idea of Michel Poisson being a Gallic Michael Fish.  Anyway, I got a really po faced message from the moderator saying that because I had posted in a foreign language it had been deleted.

I think it went like this:

Jean Kettley il est l'homme du temps 

L'homme du temps, l'homme du temps

Jean Kettley il est l'homme du temps

Et aussi Michel Poisson.

I haven't really grown up since then.   And I was nearly 40 when I posted it ?‍♂️

Edited by abruzzi spartan
Typos in French!
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, abruzzi spartan said:

The only thing I can remember posting on the old Snow Watch board was when I decided for some reason to translate part of the great 'John Ketley is a Weatherman' smash hit into low grade, distantly remembered, O level French.  I think mainly I was very pleased at the idea of Michel Poisson being a Gallic Michael Fish.  Anyway, I got a really po faced message from the moderator saying that because I had posted in a foreign language it had been deleted.

I think it went like this:

Jean Kettley il et l'homme du temps 

L'homme du temps, l'homme du temps

Jean Kettley il et l'homme du temps

Et aussi Michel Poisson.

I haven't really grown up since then.   And I was nearly 40 when I posted it ?‍♂️

That has made me laugh more than it should!

• Like 1

Posted

Ah but does anything come close to ‘87.....

4ED4088A-2F6F-433D-B7D8-166A1847465B.jpeg

67A012F0-3116-4314-85B8-5F2B3021A559.jpeg

C25AC16D-50B3-4F96-8F22-B6F4171D66BD.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well I get the ice warning now, everything is frozen shut outside, after that rain.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snow Queen one said:

Ahhhh 87 Maidstone was cut off and you couldn't walk down the road because tge snow was well over your wellies.  The icicles on my gutters were huge.

My first memory of snow and turned out to be the greatest snowfall to date I’ve experienced in the Uk .... as a kid I knew then it was something remarkable that was happening. 

• Like 1