Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 24/01/21

phil nw.

Posted
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Thanks ECM..and I would think now is the chance for some to have a little look back at the thread this morning,when some were in despair at the 0Z output..It proves the point that things not only change at short notice,but can change significantly as well..Thats why its best to view the output with your mind in perspective..3 or 4 bad runs dont spell the end of Winter...just like a few great runs dont mean the Day After Tomorrow is coming...volatility is very much in evidence with the output..I would expect we have quite a lot in the short term to pin down just now,but the doors are very much opening for something more potent in the coming weeks. It might be a roller coaster ride but we should very much get ready to enjoy both the ups and downs that come with it.

Also would be great if people could be open minded to all outcomes and all models without having a panic attack. Seems like some conscious and unconscious prejudices which aren't backed up by verification stats, but that's getting stuck in a loop covered many, many times. 

Excellent posts Matt, keep them coming

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
29 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Lots of focus on day 10-15 but there could be widespread snow this weekend. Icon and GEM show snow for many on Sunday, also possibilities with that low in the south on Sat

C5D33051-15EE-465E-982F-A476EB9E7FF7.png

Agree Tim. The short term is way more interesting for now.

Yes we are seeing signs of some deep cold in FI and that's very welcome, but the shorter/mid term has plenty to keep us interested.

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Hmmm lacking support ..champagne on ice for now...

BD435101-2C40-4CE3-9E8E-E9C9F0541A58.jpeg

To be fair there's a couple of ensemble members that go even colder than the OP and the mean is -5 or below @850 at the time frame the Op goes really Cold. A few mild blips to get there but staying on the Cold side looks the form horse at the moment .. 

Edited by BlackburnChris
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

It’s a good start but you would hope/want more on board on future output.

003F9706-0B65-4BC0-B1FF-98C0DEB814BF.png

• Like 9

Posted
7 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Is this the old nugget regarding higher res op run sniffing out changes sooner? 

Might the gem and parallel give cause for some interest? 

Glass half full (for now)

I might be recycling incorrect myths... 

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Actually, one of the better sets I've seen all winter. Worthy of half an eyebrow being raised . Only half of one at the moment though.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
27 minutes ago, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.407e6b9332b3f8614a89093412994abe.png

Control looking ok

We need to see more charts like this from GFS control in a more reliable timeframe before I become convinced that areas that haven't seen any of the white stuff this winter stand a chance, unless its day 2-3 I won't believe it the Met update still mentions "Northern areas" which to me is status quo

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Actually, one of the better sets I've seen all winter. Worthy of half an eyebrow being raised . Only half of one at the moment though.

Shows how poor it’s been if the best set only goes as far as a -4c mean I’m sure the cold spell just ending had a -7 / -8c mean for a few days in a row  a week or so beforehand ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Shows how poor it’s been if the best set only goes as far as a -4c mean I’m sure the cold spell just ending had a -7 / -8c mean for a few days in a row  a week or so beforehand ?

But how far in advance? This is so fluid its unreal 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Indeed. Its been dire really. Its not the 'mean' that has got my attention though its the number of deep cold runs in there. There will always be warm ensembles at that range which will wash out the average, but what there has been a distinct lack of is genuinely cold runs. Pretty charts, yes, cold charts no so much! 

Will probably be gone later, but good to see.

• Like 1

Posted

Ecm looks more conservative than the other 12z runs at 72 hours, there's a surprise. 

Not for the first time I'll suggest it might be playing catch up.  

ECH1-72.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Yes even in deep FI it's good to see 3 or 4 diving off a cliff with the OP, not bad at such long range let's hope the trend builds.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

At T96 hrs the ECM is certainly better than the UKMO .

The shortwave to the ne is further east with a better aligned wedge to the north .

Ecm at 120 hours

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
38 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Thanks ECM..and I would think now is the chance for some to have a little look back at the thread this morning,when some were in despair at the 0Z output..It proves the point that things not only change at short notice,but can change significantly as well..Thats why its best to view the output with your mind in perspective..3 or 4 bad runs dont spell the end of Winter...just like a few great runs dont mean the Day After Tomorrow is coming...volatility is very much in evidence with the output..I would expect we have quite a lot in the short term to pin down just now,but the doors are very much opening for something more potent in the coming weeks. It might be a roller coaster ride but we should very much get ready to enjoy both the ups and downs that come with it.

I agree somehow (and I feel that I am one of the mentioned). But (and it's a big but ) it's not that the models aren't showing anything good (=cold) in their schwifty (copyright Rick and Morty) outputs, it's the fact that they are delaying things and not getting into reachable time areas like lets say +144h. It's the wellknown 1 step forward, 2 steps back game that is happening.

But ok, lets keep the faith and still listen to the background signals and the twitters, what else is there to do? Sitting in agony? No!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

That's got to go under at 144,the ECM at 120...

ECH1-120.thumb.gif.e42834eb22eb629b043516b29562d411.gif

as @nick sussex says there is no shortwave drama to the north and it looks a good clean evolution from there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

At 144,...

the trough disrupted SE.

ECH1-144.thumb.gif.521118643416b0f91664cfbe18666a44.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Some snow in the south west Sunday l. Doesn’t make it east of a line Birmingham to London on the run, similar to GEM

EA6D703C-C1E6-4B2C-ADFB-DA532232BB3B.jpeg

4544C25C-B40D-496D-933D-39DE5100F611.jpeg

AEB92C67-BF0F-400A-9060-2CED357367B1.jpeg

Was just thinking that! not sure I like this EC, wanted another snow sunday? what about Sat? that looks far enough N/E