Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
WWW.CAMSECURE.CO.UK

Live Webcam from the Derwent Marina lake at Portinscale, northern UK. This is a beautiful lake very popular with those seeking water sports in the area.

Big drops of rain.

• Like 4

Posted
17 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Evening 

Seems like a lifetime since I last posted in here but due to covid affecting some of the family and Dad been rushed into hospital my hobby had to be put on the back burner hopefully we are all behind the worst.Only had a quick glance at the models and available data and it certainly looks like a front loaded winter is on the cards.I am leaning towards the last third of November for the fun and games to start as ever with the weather it makes fools of us all but certainly enough there to raise my interest.

Good to see your post, hope you all continue to improve, especially your dad.

Been grey but mild all day 15°C , and stayed dry so far here.  Cumbria and surrounding areas looked nasty on the radar, parts of N. Wales now getting wet.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

I am in the Lake District, outside of a built up area and I am starting to get really frightened now.

If forecast rainfall totals are believed to be true, and looking at the radar, rainfall amounts could easily exceed the 2009 and 2015 events.

We are starting to see significant flooding and this is the only the beginning - we have another 24 hours of heavy rainfall ahead at least, falling on already over-saturated ground.

This could potentially become very serious.

• Like 6

Posted
On 27/10/2021 at 17:25, Barmada_Casten said:

I am in the Lake District, outside of a built up area and I am starting to get really frightened now.

If forecast rainfall totals are believed to be true, and looking at the radar, rainfall amounts could easily exceed the 2009 and 2015 events.

We are starting to see significant flooding and this is the only the beginning - we have another 24 hours of heavy rainfall ahead at least, falling on already over-saturated ground.

This could potentially become very serious.

According to the environment agency flood manager, Carlisle is alot better prepared now than it was in 2015 (along the eden) . They aren't comparing this storm to 2015, however they said they would have to continue to watch the river caldew in Carlisle.

• Like 4

Posted

Yep feel for Cumbria and the Lakes in setups like this...mild south westerly's bringing moisture galore on it's meandering frontal wave.  We will avoid most of the rain until at least tomorrow tea-time, and it will be moving through the region by that stage.  Fingers crossed the flooding isn't too bad to our North Western folks. 

• Like 6

Posted

Sandbags are now being delivered to cockermouth library. Also Victoria Court in Cockermouth, run by Castles and Coasts housing association is being evacuated as a precaution.

Not good with still quite abit of rain to fall

• Like 4

Posted

I rarely post here outside of Dec-March as I only get enthusiastic about weather in winter when there is potential for snow.

I have posted this today because this could potentially become VERY serious.

I will keep everyone up to date in the situation here.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Not a drop of rain here all day thanks to the Welsh mountains doing their bit to block it. Another 15 miles further north and we'd be under that band. Been very mild though today max of 16C. Just hope the grass doesn't grow too much now!

• Like 6

Posted
46 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

I rarely post here outside of Dec-March as I only get enthusiastic about weather in winter when there is potential for snow.

I have posted this today because this could potentially become VERY serious.

I will keep everyone up to date in the situation here.

Where are you? Many fields have large pools of water..  local roads are mostly passable right now.. 

• Like 2

Posted

Rain appears to have intensified slightly with the addition of stronger gusts of winds which is ominous. It has also gone dark.

Rain is of the nature where it is moderate-heavy - not as torrential as during a thunderstorm, but persistent. And it is the persistency that is the worrying thing.

• Like 4

Posted

I don't want to give my exact location away for privacy reasons, however I will say that I am just outside of Ambleside (within 2km.)

Local roads may be passible but I know for a fact that flooding has accumulated around my area and some footpaths are inaccessible. River Rothay and Brathay are already very high.

I know from my own experience living all over Lake District that, if this persists for 24 hours we are in trouble.

In fact come morning we will have problems if it carries on.

As I said the severity of the situation is worrying which is why I am posting - many of you will know I rarely post outside the December - March timeframe where my posts can be somewhat honest, but, controversial. 

I am posting now to give live reports on the ongoing situation. Fingers crossed for all of us in the Lake District right now.

B.C.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
7 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

I don't want to give my exact location away for privacy reasons, however I will say that I am just outside of Ambleside (within 2km.)

Local roads may be passible but I know for a fact that flooding has accumulated around my area and some footpaths are inaccessible. River Rothay and Brathay are already very high.

I know from my own experience living all over Lake District that, if this persists for 24 hours we are in trouble.

As I said the severity of the situation is worrying which is why I am posting - many of you will know I rarely post outside the December - March timeframe where my posts can be somewhat honest, but, controversial. 

I am posting now to give live reports on the ongoing situation. Fingers crossed for all of us in the Lake District right now.

B.C.

Stay Safe.

Been watching the "Reds" hitting the tops on Radar ALL day - relentless and more to come.

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

B.C.

It's a watch and wait. Depends on where heaviest rain falls within river catchments. Further west then the likes of places downstream such as Cockermouth and Workington suffer most. More central based then the likes of Keswick and Grasmere suffer more and Carlisle. 

• Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

It's a watch and wait. Depends on where heaviest rain falls within river catchments. Further west then the likes of places downstream such as Cockermouth and Workington suffer most. More central based then the likes of Keswick and Grasmere suffer more and Carlisle. 

Not much of Workington can flood though. Most of the town is up away from the river. Pretty much the only things down by the river are parks and sports fields. Cockermouth on the other hand… I lived there until December 2015! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So today I was in Cockermouth in the morning and then I drove down to millom and finally around Ulverston. There is a small village just past Sellafield which the river runs along side the main road, that was near breaking its banks at lunchtime. Then plenty of flooded roads outside Ulverston. If the rain that I witnessed continues then there’s going to be some serious trouble tonight/tomorrow. Also driving on the m6 today was horrendous, glad to be home.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

It really is a relentless conveyor belt of rain showing on the radar with several hours yet to come. Hoping that flooding issues don't get too serious across Northern parts of our region.

• Like 5

Posted

The lastest is that this period of rain and Intensity is set to last until Friday afternoon.

The road from Ambleside into the Langdales is now impassible in parts. 

I am frightened.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Just a heads up a poster on the early run up to winter thread says Ian Fergusson has said on the local weather that he presents that he thinks we're in for a cold winter. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Just a heads up a poster on the early run up to winter thread says Ian Fergusson has said on the local weather that he presents that he thinks we're in for a cold winter. 

Absolutely no chance for me, I think it will be the same as the last 10 - mild and wet dominated from the rest with the odd potential for snow and cold that will downgrade and fizzle into nothing.

Buxton and Scafell Pike will get plenty of snow though ??‍♂️

Anyway, back to the reason why I am here - the road into Ambleside is impassible for a standard car so o will try going towards Hawkshead and see how it is.

• Like 2