Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
10 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Shrewsbury isn’t known for its snow but Shropshire being a land locked county sheltered some what by the Welsh Hills it can see some very cold minimum nighttime temperatures the likes of Shawbury in particular. It’s probably best asking the locals on the Midlands page but Shropshire & Shrewsbury tends to be more sheltered than neighbouring Staffordshire from any Cheshire Gap snow shower/ events particularly the further south in the county you go. It often does very well in those classic Midlands rain- heavy snow frontal events from the south or SW though. Some of these can dump a lot of snow and bring blizzard conditions. 

Here’s a nice Shropshire Star timeline of the Dec 2010 spell looks like it did well snow wise with colder minima than here in the NW. 

MS74ITQLPRFQZKSHZKPMLRBZN4.jpg
WWW.SHROPSHIRESTAR.COM

We rewind to a rare white Christmas back in 2010.

Many thanks for the response, Joe! 

• Like 2

Posted

Mentioning my home town of Crewe and Shropshire, I was reminded of the week before Easter in March 2013 when hundreds of lambs were lost to snow and snowdrifts in Shropshire and the N Wales hills, the snow was thick in Chester, but come across to Crewe and you wondered what all the fuss was about. Yes, Crewe is certainly an un-snowy place and I've been here over 20 years now. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
On 07/11/2021 at 11:54, Joe Snow said:

Yeah S Cheshire got a few inches of snow late Nov/ early Dec but nothing like areas further North & East. The main event of Dec 2010 was the bitter cold icicles & hoar frost followed by a brief mid month warm up then the big snow event of 17th - 18th Dec. S Cheshire got around 15cm from that event snow that stuck around till after the cold Xmas 2010- locally there was more snow from that event than the often talked about NW ‘Snowmageddon’ 5th Jan 2010 event. Merseyside & the Wirral were absolutely buried the night of the 17th Dec 2010. 

Yes, great memories!

• Like 9

Posted

After yesterday's wetness and dullness, today was thankfully dry and quite bright at times. The sun tried to make an appearance but never gained a foothold. Lovely walking in the Borrowdale Valley, could see the tops of the fells, great golden colours.

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

After yesterday's wetness and dullness, today was thankfully dry and quite bright at times. The sun tried to make an appearance but never gained a foothold. Lovely walking in the Borrowdale Valley, could see the tops of the fells, great golden colours.

I'm envious!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I’m at a wedding on Windermere next weekend. If the weather models stay true we could have some delightful photo opportunities on a cold crisp weekend up there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 07/11/2021 at 14:15, A Face like Thunder said:

Mentioning my home town of Crewe and Shropshire, I was reminded of the week before Easter in March 2013 when hundreds of lambs were lost to snow and snowdrifts in Shropshire and the N Wales hills, the snow was thick in Chester, but come across to Crewe and you wondered what all the fuss was about. Yes, Crewe is certainly an un-snowy place and I've been here over 20 years now. 

Yep I've often spoken of its weird microclimate. March 2013 when all we got was damp roads, whilst a few miles out was inches deep in snow.

Can't ever remember seeing more than 10cm here at an absolute maximum.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Ramp said:

I’m at a wedding on Windermere next weekend. If the weather models stay true we could have some delightful photo opportunities on a cold crisp weekend up there.

Fingers crossed, may just be timed perfect. Looking dry at least, hopefully not cloudy..  sunshine and light winds. I'm hoping for something a bit colder to feel more seasonal. A frost would be good.

• Like 5

Posted

Further to my last post, I think last years wet snow event was one of the best falls I’ve ever seen here…and that really is saying something as it wasn’t that much in reality.

A13E1FB3-6914-4E2C-A1AA-71202F07C5A4.thumb.jpeg.77caaca03b9c7bf617e6ec87594fe315.jpeg

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Further to my last post, I think last years wet snow event was one of the best falls I’ve ever seen here…and that really is saying something as it wasn’t that much in reality.

A13E1FB3-6914-4E2C-A1AA-71202F07C5A4.thumb.jpeg.77caaca03b9c7bf617e6ec87594fe315.jpeg

When was this? Was it January when heavy rain turned to heavy wet snow but then thawed. Seem to remember reports of Manchester on TV when it started snowing.. can't remember but think some sort of incident was happening same time and the snow actually helped.. was it flooding? 

• Like 2

Posted
On 07/11/2021 at 23:42, damianslaw said:

When was this? Was it January when heavy rain turned to heavy wet snow but then thawed. Seem to remember reports of Manchester on TV when it started snowing.. can't remember but think some sort of incident was happening same time and the snow actually helped.. was it flooding? 

That was the one yes. Extremely heavy rain turned into extremely heavy snow in a matter of seconds as colder air dug in behind the front. Evaporative cooling kicked in and et voila.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

That was the one yes. Extremely heavy rain turned into extremely heavy snow in a matter of seconds as colder air dug in behind the front. Evaporative cooling kicked in and et voila.

The power of evaporative cooling. There was an undercut of colder uppers enough to turn it to snow. We often see evaporative cooling when warm fronts move into cold air, alwaysgreat watching rain turn quickly to snow, even better when it sticks around. Last year brought many marginal snow events when evaporative cooling helped.. 2 Feb good example, unfortunately the snow quickly thawed. It was a bit frustrating last year here we missed out of anything substantive and any snow cover lasted no more than a day or two.. sometimes just the morning. Overall though it was probably our snowier season since 12-13 in terms of numbers of snow days. 

• Like 4

Posted
On 07/11/2021 at 23:50, damianslaw said:

The power of evaporative cooling. There was an undercut of colder uppers enough to turn it to snow. We often see evaporative cooling when warm fronts move into cold air, alwaysgreat watching rain turn quickly to snow, even better when it sticks around. Last year brought many marginal snow events when evaporative cooling helped.. 2 Feb good example, unfortunately the snow quickly thawed. It was a bit frustrating last year here we missed out of anything substantive and any snow cover lasted no more than a day or two.. sometimes just the morning. Overall though it was probably our snowier season since 12-13 in terms of numbers of snow days. 

The only time I remember seeing snow as heavy is Feb 2007. That was a similar type event in terms of on the ground conditions. Torrential wet snow that dropped a hell of a lot of the white stuff in a short amount of time.

• Like 3

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

The Fylde and West Coast snowstorm of 5th - 6th Feb  1996 being a prime example in this region?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

GFS looks like its planning its shopping at Iceland. Definitely subtle signs of something fridge or freezer related as we head into the back end of Autumn.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

No quick route to mild with that GFS run. Snow at times as far south as the Moroccan mountains. Just shows what a nuisance the Euro high can be - which only benefits Greece on the eastern flank of it. Once that's shifted most of Europe can become cold given a chance. My feet firmly on the ground though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Been busy so not had time to come on here really...

Had some lovely, colder & autumnal weather last week, but back to the grimmer, greyer and milder weather here now

Although the TWO weather forecast has given me some hope as its forecasting snow around the 18th/19th ??

• Like 6

Posted

Quite a grim uninspiring November day. Low cloud some rain at times. This evening very low misty cloud almost fog like. Everything dank. November the most 'dank' month? I think so..

More of the same rest of the week - but the weekend hopefully will bring some much needed sunshine and something chillier.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A sunny morning and a cloudy afternoon. No rain at all today from the warm front. A very mild night currently, 14.4°C.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
21 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Storm Christoph. I loved that evening doing snow ETAs.

• Like 3

Posted

This is a video I did of snow falling and sticking after heavy rain, the ground was soaking then massive flakes fell largest I've seen,the video doesn't do it justice 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
45 minutes ago, carl1980 said:

This is a video I did of snow falling and sticking after heavy rain, the ground was soaking then massive flakes fell largest I've seen,the video doesn't do it justice 

Had same here, Wednesday evening as part of storm Christoph

• Like 4