Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted

We've had a lot of rain in the Oldham area today, this morning's rain just stuck around instead of clearing out of the way and then the torrential showers have just lined one after the other.  The road prone for flooding near Daisy Nook (Stannybrook Rd) has been closed and one in Grasscroft.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Big rainbow as the shower clears.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

C70A02A9-BA6C-4BAE-A1A4-44466525D839.thumb.jpeg.99c598a52f5a81bb32146e1c595011b7.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
20 minutes ago, dodge said:

We've had a lot of rain in the Oldham area today, this morning's rain just stuck around instead of clearing out of the way and then the torrential showers have just lined one after the other.  The road prone for flooding near Daisy Nook (Stannybrook Rd) has been closed and one in Grasscroft.

Just picked my lad up from Newbridge and decided to use the M67 / M60 to get there as id heard Stannybrook Road was flooded.

If only these heavy showers could line up with snow like 2009 /10.

• Like 6

Posted

Torrential rain and pretty mad winds in Manchester yesterday afternoon/evening… 

torrential showers this morning getting the tram at St. Peter’s square this morning… 

now hail showers/torrential rain… keeps on coming… 

Road at broadbottom with bridge to Charlesworth  looked flooded from train at lunchtime 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Wow what a horrid day it's been. Just a few hundred metres down the road from me is flooded at Daisy Nook. Was going to go IKEA in Ashton to pick up an order that way but had to turn back. So had to go the long way round.

• Like 5

Posted

Just confirmed on various Facebook local pages drains back logged and flooding in glossop and traffic backed up in broadbottom as bridge flooded 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

If only these heavy showers could line up with snow like 2009 /10.

Would be a dream to get those conditions again...think I had over a foot of snow fall three times that year in my back garden and I'm by no means in the higher districts of Oldham.  Sadly though since then the marginals have always been on the wrong side for fluffy sticking snow from a north westerly...it's been mostly wet snow very quick to disappear.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
6 minutes ago, dodge said:

Would be a dream to get those conditions again...think I had over a foot of snow fall three times that year in my back garden and I'm by no means in the higher districts of Oldham.  Sadly though since then the marginals have always been on the wrong side for fluffy sticking snow from a north westerly...it's been mostly wet snow very quick to disappear.

Yeah I'm not generally not a fan of snow from the NW or polar maritime as it's known. Unless we have deep embedded cold in place then it's almost always a marginal toppler and often lasts no more than 24 hours before the cold gets shunted east into the continent but any snow is better than none. Would be great to get a proper easterly in the middle of winter though and not late February/March. Nothing marginal from the east whatsoever. I know folks towards the west of the region aren't fans of an easterly but us in the east can do well sometimes from them. 2013 and 2018 proved that. The first decent snow (15cm+) in November 2010 came from the east as well on the last 2 days of the month

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looking at the EA website, 24 hour totals for my part of the region are around 47mm so, although not biblical, it’s certainly been a bit damp.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Piece on BBC NW News this evening on high river levels at St Michael's on Wyre, due to (quote) "2.5 ins of rain falling in the hills to the East" 

Sounds right as the same website is showing 70mm at a spot near Dunsop Bridge in the Bowland Fells.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Wow what a horrid day it's been. Just a few hundred metres down the road from me is flooded at Daisy Nook. Was going to go IKEA in Ashton to pick up an order that way but had to turn back. So had to go the long way round.

The irony... Flatpack boat on the wrong side of the water.

• Like 4

Posted

Meant to add one more pic.

Grazing cattle have had an easy time this autumn but got a shock this morning (Nov 1st).   After sheltering from the heavy rain last night they set off into the middle of the field when rain slackened this morning, only to get caught in sudden deluge.  Came to the back of the house seeking sympathy -- as usual tails to the wind.  No need for a wind vane. 

Sorry about quality, but it was one of those sorts of mornings.

2021 nov 1 cattle in sudden deluge.JPG

• Like 5

Posted

The showers just keep on coming. 60.4 mm of rain in the end yesterday; One of, if not the wettest day of the year. Already had 4.5 mm of rain since midnight.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 6

Posted

Irish sea shower-generator looks a bit calmer today...maybe a few rogue showers but nothing like the incessant downpours of yesterday.  Feeling a bit cooler too...not cold..just what it should be at this time of year.  Maybe hitting the 'average' will be the best we can hope for in future years if warming trends continue.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Lovely start to the day and a largely settled few days coming up here I expect, with the chance of an odd shower, but probably mostly dry. It would be nice if we could achieve some frosts over the next few days, but we'll need some decent clear periods in overnight periods for this. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, severe snowstorm said:

Lovely start to the day and a largely settled few days coming up here I expect, with the chance of an odd shower, but probably mostly dry. It would be nice if we could achieve some frosts over the next few days, but we'll need some decent clear periods in overnight periods for this. 

Agreed, but it certainly felt noticeably colder earlier than previous mornings, despite the sun.

• Like 4

Posted

Sun has made an appearance chillier out, 

still sopping wet out after downpours yesterday… will be fun leaf blowing later… 

hopefully upcoming week of drying out and colder so feeling autumnal again with frosts… 

• Like 5

Posted

It cleared up after 2 AM and we had a cold night in the end with a minimum of 3.8°C, by far the coldest of the autumn. 10.1 mm of rain from the showers between midnight and 2 AM.

At my other station in Crosby however the minimum was 7.0°C and there were showers all night.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
21 hours ago, dodge said:

Certainly was chucking it down whilst we were in Oldham yesterday engagement ring shopping

• Like 5