Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Another cloudy cool day, honestly we have got to laugh about it now about the bad luck of it all but at least it's dry and can dry the washing outside.

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The summer arrived late in The Austrian Alps. Possibly the worse summer in these parts for quite some time. Lots of cloudy days with rain never far away. The last 3 days have been cold and damp with a current temp of 8c in the village . Logs burning this morning.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Even the warm and sunny Saturday is slowly being eroded now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.abf1f36f53d6bca132426f3bcf588ad4.pngimage.thumb.png.af579d095122fa1bcce43c10832399a8.png
image.thumb.png.f7e50a73a029e66360f40ade5f6dd3c0.pngimage.thumb.png.4df713afc70c56c6a42f5bcecc3b3fe0.png

Doesn't look too different to me? 26c still showing on the ARPEGE and UKV. Was never meant to be a wall to wall sunshine day? Western areas have always been at risk of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

What an atrocious day yesterday was, after having a short day out and heading back home, I needed to wear my dressing gown OVER my hoodie due to how cold it was and today looks much of the same. No wonder why people from other countries think we're miserable sods when this is the weather in the middle of AUGUST. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm confident we will be breaking new records for wet, low temps and sunless days in respect to summers in some parts of the UK in years to come. Very much akin to this August.

If you are thinking of retiring to warmer climes than do so now and beat the rush!

Edited by DCee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
15 minutes ago, DCee said:

I'm confident we will be breaking new records for wet, low temps and sunless days in respect to summers in some parts of the UK in years to come. Very much akin to this August.

If you are thinking of retiring to warmer climes than do so now and beat the rush!

A little misleading to be making bold statements like that...the simple fact is nobody knows what the future will bring...and that goes for all aspects of life! So to say your confident,is a tad dramatic! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
26 minutes ago, DCee said:

What about global warming?  Or is it due to the gulf stream possibly collapsing?

22 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

What about global warming?  Or is it due to the gulf stream possibly collapsing?

Think it’s been put out there that with trillions of tonnes of fresh cold water being dumped into the North Atlantic each year the UK could become cooler, damper and cloudier for a period with summer especially impacted. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Atmogenic said:

What an atrocious day yesterday was, after having a short day out and heading back home, I needed to wear my dressing gown OVER my hoodie due to how cold it was and today looks much of the same. No wonder why people from other countries think we're miserable sods when this is the weather in the middle of AUGUST. 

And to top it all another area of low pressure trundles across the UK over Saturday and Sunday for the 378th time this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
On 18/08/2021 at 10:48, DCee said:

And as for winter?

Mild, wet and windy.

Makes you wonder, if the UK is heading for a single seasonal climate of warmish, very wet and lack of sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This is turning out to be a very monotonous August indeed. It hasn't been particularly settled or unsettled, just boring with hardly any weather. If I could, I'd ditch the rest of the month and fast forward straight to September.

Even the worst Augusts of the 1980s had better weather than August 2021 so far.

The Augusts until around 2005 were much better, even during poor ones. There was always a sunny warm spell in most of them.

Since 2006 however, August has been a poor or very poor month, with only 2009, 2013 and 18 having decent spells of sunny weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Petorious said:

Makes you wonder, if the UK is heading for a single seasonal climate of warmish, very wet and lack of sunshine.

That would be depressing.

I think this could be a precursor to a very cold winter in the northern hemisphere. Something tells me 20/21 was the taste of something more severe to come our way.

• Like 1

Posted

2016 was the best August i can remember... the lovely summer of 2018. finished in the first week of August.. I cant complain with this summer personally. June and July were pretty good . If we end up with a decent late August/September. I would settle for that for this year.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 18/08/2021 at 11:58, Petorious said:

Wouldn't bloody surprise me. A warmer version of a climate like Reykjavik or Torshavn.....which despite having 20-21 hours of sunlight available in mid summer, only averages around 170-200 hours sunlight a day (around 30% of maximum). Cloudfest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Another sub-150 hour August looking likely here. Absolutely pathetic.

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

Even the warm and sunny Saturday is slowly being eroded now. 

Don' t say this i've planned for late birthday parties in the garden!! Had to put it off every wekeend since the end of July ...!

Posted

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

2021 237 (up to 17th Aug)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

2016 was the best August i can remember... the lovely summer of 2018. finished in the first week of August.. I cant complain with this summer personally. June and July were pretty good . If we end up with a decent late August/September. I would settle for that for this year.. 

Yes, August 2016 was a good month. I don't mind hot weather THAT much just as long as it doesn't feel too oppressive like the hot spell we had last month. August 2016 whilst hot at times, didn't feel all that oppresive. The same goes with the summer of 2018.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Even the worst Augusts of the 1980s had better weather than August 2021 so far.

The Augusts until around 2005 were much better, even during poor ones. There was always a sunny warm spell in most of them.

Since 2006 however, August has been a poor or very poor month, with only 2009, 2013 and 18 having decent spells of sunny weather. 

Long before my time, but I wish I was around during the early 80s as I have been reading that there were a few severe widespread thunderstorms during the first half of August 1981, resulting in almost complete darkness during the day. Those are very hard to come by now sadly. They don't make thunderstorms like they used to.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
17 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Long before my time, but I wish I was around during the early 80s as I have been reading that there were a few severe widespread thunderstorms during the first half of August 1981, resulting in almost complete darkness during the day. Those are very hard to come by now sadly. They don't make thunderstorms like they used to.

Even for back then, the daytime darkness of August 1981 was still rare. Storms on the other hand, were more frequent and severe during the 1980s and some years during the 90s.

The summers of 92 and 94 had quite a few thunderstorms, overnight and daytime ones.

That 1981 storm caused some flights to be diverted, while the ones that landed in Gatwick or Heathrow during the storm, encountered very heavy turbulence. I can’t imagine how terrifying it would have been to be flying through those storms for 5-10 minutes. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I only remember Aug 16 as similar to July 10, cloudy and humid here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This is turning out to be a very monotonous August indeed. It hasn't been particularly settled or unsettled, just boring with hardly any weather. If I could, I'd ditch the rest of the month and fast forward straight to September.

Problem is, this is what many Septembers are like... Another 30 days of this rubbish isn’t worth thinking about.

I’d rather fast forward to March 21st next year and do spring and summer properly! I like many aspects of autumn but if summer has been largely naff, the appetite just isn’t there for it.

• Like 2

Posted

Currently running at just under 2.5 C below the same time last August