Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Wind has died right down here just as the warning kicks in: Leuchars was reporting 36mph mean speed a couple of hours ago - now 17mph. 9c/6c.

As for Friday, as others have mentioned I wouldn't be betting against a southward correction. But regardless I would be amazed to see accumulating snow in coastal NE Fife - onshore flow will likely raise temperatures as usual. Could be game on for those further west and with a little altitude though.

Hoping @Kirkcaldy Weather proves me wrong! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I'm wondering if a separate snow (as opposed to snow and wind) warning will be issued by the Met Office for northern Scotland when they get an idea of the storm's north extent? 

There's no way the southern Highlands won't be covered by a warning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Almost 0 wind here but quite frequent and persistent heavy rain. Met suggesting 50mph gusts in about an hour... looks unlikely. 

Edited by Ross90

Posted

Wind just kicked off here in the last 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Posted

The wind is picking up fairly rapidly here, some heafty gusts already!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 minutes ago, aggy said:

782755EE-EC20-41DD-82D3-C12C58CFB657.png

Very interesting cheers, I had been totally focused for Friday and didn't see ESTOFEX had put a forecast out, I did think some of the cells the UKV showed had a interesting look to them and I see the line coming into the west coast currently has lightning in it Screenshot_20220216_141934.thumb.jpg.bdb7b8d9d2973ad65f494ba5940f60e5.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

A slight breeze here but as yet nothing above about 35mph, i'm going to call it now and say NL and in fact probably most of Strathclyde should not have had an amber warning for this. Even Arwen was stronger down here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, shuggee said:

@CatchMyDrift does a very good lesson in reading the 925hpa (or 950) charts and the relationship to air pressure (low pressure today) and bringing down the 850hpa level so that the usual temp you would expect to see converted at surface is less than usual e.g. higher pressure at 850s of -5C = surface at say 3C, but lower pressure and 850s of -5C = surface at 0 or 1C. This is because at higher pressure the 850 level is, say, 1.5km in the sky and at lower pressure it's lower down nearer surface.

You see - I'm not very good at explaining it, but that's something like the correct answer! (I hope!)

I need to go back to school. (No you frickin well don't, say my old teachers, glad to see the back of you)

No wind to speak of but it's raining cats n dogs. Waterproofs just tested and passed!

• Like 1

Posted

Had a heavy squall there with what appeared to be a sort of down draught blowing all the feeding birds in the garden away. Clearer now and blustery.

Posted

My sources tell me that it is snowing at sea level in Invergordon.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Im not sure what i would call that outside...heavy rain with the odd flake of snaw mixed in.. wind picking up a little.. Friday cant make up its mind... heavy snaw on bbc then nothing now back to heavy snaw showers...?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted

So the GFS 12hz has taken the storm a bit further north, putting Highland and the rest of the north in the firing line for heavy snow now.

Consider my toys now firmly in the pram.

h500slp (1).png

• Like 4

Posted

12Z GFS has the low and snow slightly further north again with pretty much all of the mainland in with a chance of snow on Friday, warmer air does creep further into the south and it doesn't look quite as intense in places as previous runs. One of many possibilities I guess!

In terms of todays storm, the wind is ramping up now and we have a squally shower moving through with the torrential rain lashing sideways! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, NorthernRab said:

My sources tell me that it is snowing at sea level in Invergordon.

Are these sources normally reliable? 

• Like 1

Posted

20220216_141242.thumb.jpg.0b23d589a89444935f891e36b179f110.jpgCold raw,dark and very wet Currently  3c Mud everywhere. Cawdor hills emerged from the clouds about  an hour  ago showing a very white coat

20220216_141239.jpg

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted

Cat forecast: we'll stay by the stove this evening thanks. But don't forget the biscuits. And the extra blanket by the hearth later. And keep the stove going properly, no sneaking off to bed after a couple of beers.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Did somebody mention snow? 

I’m stuck inside as the covid has finally got me, it’d be nice to watch a wee blizzard out the window later this week!

7 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Unbelievable... Like buses, twice in the last week! 

20220216_163055.jpg

20220216_163110.jpg

20220216_163200.jpg

What sort of clouds are they? I’m in the south side and haven’t seen anything like that today.

• Like 3