Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
29 minutes ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Heavy snow earlier this evening but now temperatures have risen above freezing just, a few drips here and there. But more a wet look to the large flakes. Also the ( thankfully) small spider has popped out by the sink usually a sure sign of rain, may have to squish him if he is right..

We have your wet leftovers now, it looks good coming down but the temp's about to rise through 0C... 

We've got a resident spider on the living room ceiling. He wanders around a bit but seems to have a favoured spot a couple of feet in from a window... How long can spiders go without eating? Richer pickings on the floor, you'd think, but he'd run the risk of getting spotted by the cat. Cat occasionally looks up to check on ceiling spider - spider flicks a couple of legs back...

• Like 9

Posted
9 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Thundersnow and a decent hail core with the streamer up in the Northeast corner 

Screenshot-20221214-212912-Chrome.jpg

Yeah watching that potential thundersnow to the east of Turriff at the moment - it might just miss Aberdeen to the east but it'll be tight.

Still scattered showers falling as snow in Aberdeen city centre and lying on all surfaces no problem

Edited by Zerouali lives
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Around 7pm at least one car got stuck in this snow up the road past our house, dragged out by a big pickup/L200. Now there's a police car sat outside with lights flashing and farmer has gone past with plough on tractor. I'm assuming someone else is stuck. Others coming up and having to turn. 

The road is single track, especially in the snow, and goes over a 400m hill. Yet there's still cars trying to go up it, in the snow, with a strong wind blowing. Unbelievable. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Around 7pm at least one car got stuck in this snow up the road past our house, dragged out by a big pickup/L200. Now there's a police car sat outside with lights flashing and farmer has gone past with plough on tractor. I'm assuming someone else is stuck. Others coming up and having to turn. 

The road is single track, especially in the snow, and goes over a 400m hill. Yet there's still cars trying to go up it, in the snow, with a strong wind blowing. Unbelievable. 

How much snow on the ground there? I hear its about 8-9cm in Aberdeen. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Heavy up in Aberdeen city just now. Bone dry,calm, clear and starry skies here with any breeze having died now. Video from Aberdeen.

• Like 9

Posted

Yeah moderate to heavy snow in Aberdeen the past 25 minutes now.  Actually starting to get decent accumulations even at sea level.

Think there was about 3" this morning, must getting on for about double that now.

Radar suggests this prolonged shower will be on for another 20 mins yet at least

Edited by Zerouali lives
  • Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Eastern Scotland WX said:

How much snow on the ground there? I hear its about 8-9cm in Aberdeen. 

Difficult to say exactly, especially as most of it is concrete hard old stuff that was wettish and then froze solid when it was really cold. We've probably had another 10-15cm since this time last night, and that's really light powdery stuff. It's that recent stuff drifting off the fields that's causing all the problems at the moment, we've largely missed the heaviest of the snow showers since this afternoon. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
Just now, Zerouali lives said:

Yeah moderate to heavy snow in Aberdeen the past 25 minutes now.  Actually starting to get decent accumulations even at sea level.

Think there was about 3" this morning, must getting on for about double that now

Think we, ll see a change  to a sleety mix in the city in an hour or so , hopefully not though. Temp 1c dp - 1c better accumulations than I expected, shame all we had last week was washed away last Friday/Saturday 🙄

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, drm said:

Think we, ll see a change  to a sleety mix in the city in an hour or so , hopefully not though. Temp 1c dp - 1c better accumulations than I expected, shame all we had last week was washed away last Friday/Saturday 🙄

Yeah just noticing snow grains / hail now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Fingers crossed the GFS18z verifies, some places might get buried. Looking good for the ski slopes for sure. 

• Like 7

Posted

Bit of a change this morning, hopefully a blip. Mix of rain, sleet and snow. Last night's high winds have disappeared.

The daily commute was less stressful thanks to the slightly warmer temperatures. Roads are mostly slushy or black.

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Gauge, Tachometer

• Like 6

Posted

Overnight runs aren't great for here in terms of snow tomorrow. GFZ and UKV have it all north. Arpege too. Hopefully time to correct south. ECM is better but is usually a load of cobblers! -5c last night.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Think it's the beginning of the end especially the further south you are , run up to Xmas not looking as good though models all over the place 

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Overnight runs aren't great for here in terms of snow tomorrow. GFZ and UKV have it all north. Hopefully time to correct south. ECM is better but is usually a load of cobblers! -5c last night.

Aye not looking so good. The Latest met office text forecast mentions the potential for significant snow on Sunday with drifting though... onto the next chance then if this one goes north🤣

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, Ross B said:

Aye not looking so good. The Latest met office text forecast mentions the potential for significant snow on Sunday with drifting though... onto the next chance then if this one goes north🤣

Sunday will be torrential sleety pish here. 100%. Never, ever get much out of a transitional event. 

• Like 7

Posted

I'd estimate around 10cm cleared from driveway this morning that had accumulated since late yesterday afternoon. Another day of 'home working' for me, along with trying to persuade my youngest son, who is in S5, that at his stage in school a snow day means getting on with his coursework, not sitting on his Xbox all day. 

Anyway, at least the dog will be happy to have company all day again. 

• Like 9

Posted
50 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Sunday will be torrential sleety pish here. 100%. Never, ever get much out of a transitional event. 

I never want to to be honest. I don’t enjoy seeing a good snowfall turn to slush and mush. Fortunately it’s not really a thing here. If it’s transitional we tend to start as rain/sleet.

0.5c this morning after an overnight low of -1.3c.

• Like 4