Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
5 hours ago, Norrance said:

Yes looks like Sunday onwards for at least the week will be cold. Who gets snow showers will depend on the day to day wind direction and the temps and wet baws etc. 

On a different subject my daughters are away to Europe for hols next week. One is away to Tignes skiing and the forecasts for there look pretty well nailed on. Much colder with substantial snow at times.
The other however is off to Berlin and then Prague and I haven't been able to get what I see as a reliable forecast. Most tend to show showery weather with max temps around 6C so warmer than it will be here. Anyone any thoughts?

Be interested how the skiiing pans out…watched Ski Sunday for the start of the championships in Switzerland and there’s no snow on the mountains! Everywhere was green. The downhill comp was on a man made slope - they used the snow that fell in December to make it 😆

• Like 4

Posted

Very dull dark day with rain in late afternoon. Cool start to day at 4c but Rose to 10c early evening so washed a few machines under the lights as it was warmer than during the day. Now very windy and temperature dropping

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, RebsAbbo said:

Be interested how the skiiing pans out…watched Ski Sunday for the start of the championships in Switzerland and there’s no snow on the mountains! Everywhere was green. The downhill comp was on a man made slope - they used the snow that fell in December to make it 😆

There is plenty already in Tignes and more to come. 40 inches at resort. 87 inches at top. It is quite a high resort so pretty snow sure. With some of the forecasts for the area the problem may be too much snow some days next week.

edit. Snow description today at all levels is packed powder so looking very good.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted

Completely off topic, but been watching this traffic cam in South Lake Tahoe, California for long enough to have got booted off! 😆

CWWP2.DOT.CA.GOV

Caltrans image and video for US-50 : South Lake Tahoe : Hwy 50 at Ski Run

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Where can I watch the skiing on tv without having fancy Sky chanels? Not watched it for years and used to love it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

More rain and wind 😕. The, ahem, stiff breeze has once again knocked out my central heating ( combi oil boiler located outside ), so once the wind drops I'll go out and press the magic reset button, only for it to happen again when the next blustery day comes along. Ho hum. At least it's not that cold, currently 7.1c, and I do have the stove in the kitchen and open fire in the sitting room. 🔥

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Where can I watch the skiing on tv without having fancy Sky chanels? Not watched it for years and used to love it.

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/117197/81117700/ski-sunday

There may be other episodes on iplayer too...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
7 hours ago, mardatha said:

I think that Eurosport also did skiing but haven't seen it recently,

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted

Not a bad day here, quite windy but the unbroken sunshine is quite pleasant with a bit of shelter. 

Next week seems to have some potential by the looks of it. 

• Like 5

Posted

A few showers pushing through here on a brisk westerly wind. One of those days with the temperature around average at 6c/4c but feels pretty raw in the wind.

Mean January temperatures so far anywhere from 0.5c to 2c above average across Scotland but it does look like turning colder again at the weekend.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well the mood was upbeat yesterday in the mad house and wx weather even had snaw for me next week.. im not convinced and wont be until its t24 away and even then with my location i still wont trust it..

Not checked in the mad house today so no idea if its up or down.. but I've got my tin hat at the ready..

And as for today best way to describe it without getting a lifetime ban would be YUK....🤮🤮

• Like 5

Posted

Despite threatening skies to the West at times no significant showers made it across to here since about 10AM. A cool fresh westerly breeze though, Current temp 3.8C

Could contain: Scenery, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Reservoir, Water, Lake, Sea, Vegetation, Plant

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 hours ago, mardatha said:

You can still watch ski sunday on the BBC, including via iplayer.

p093fpg9.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Magazine programme featuring skiing, snowboarding and winter sports.

Apparenltly livestreams here direct from the FIS:

WWW.FIS-SKI.COM

Don't miss the men’s FIS Alpine European Cup races in Val d’Isère (FRA) which will be streamed live here!

Closer tae hame, the Scottish ski centre operators will be rubbing their hands. Due to the cauld and the much needed cash!

Could contain: Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics

17 hours ago, Norrance said:

There is plenty already in Tignes and more to come. 40 inches at resort. 87 inches at top. It is quite a high resort so pretty snow sure. With some of the forecasts for the area the problem may be too much snow some days next week.

edit. Snow description today at all levels is packed powder so looking very good.

Could contain: Peak, Mountain Range, Nature, Outdoors, Mountain, Scenery, Landscape, Ice, Slope

Dolomites have had very good conditions. Recent top-up has helped. Selva down the valley there is at 1560 m.

Just 52 sleeps to go!

EDIT Adelboden where the slalom was on the most recent ski Sunday is1350 m. In the western alps, anything below 1600 has been struggling, so greener around the bottom of the course here sounds right.

Kitzbuhel in Austria is very low (760 m), and in some winters the downhill course (1700-760 m) is the only area with snow! All artificial. Although Austria does get away with lower altitudes as it's further east, so more 'continental' cold. The western / southern alps protect it from warm incursions coming in from the SW.

Edited by Scottish-Irish Skier
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Cool   but mostly dry with fresh SW wind  Up to Dingwall in the afternoon Ben Wyvis    very  white on top half.    White  mountains to west stood out starkly against the black shower clouds to the west. Lowest temperature on the way up was 2c and highest 5c

• Like 5

Posted

Guess what? More heavy rain. Hopefully something more seasonal next week any sort of dry out be a bit of a relief been so wet

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
34 minutes ago, NUT said:

Guess what? More heavy rain. Hopefully something more seasonal next week any sort of dry out be a bit of a relief been so wet

Totally agree. We’re just over 1/3 of the way through the month and have had 2/3rds of the monthly average rainfall.

Look pretty nailed on to be our 5th wetter than average month in a row here, still amazed December managed it.
Some sunshine would be nice… 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Fair chucking it doon at Cairngorm.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Blizzard, StormCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Bridge, Blizzard, Storm

Wind daein its joab at Glenshee.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Piste, Snow, Sport, Vehicle, Transportation, Winter

With much mair tae come based oan this ootlook:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Another thoroughly wet day here too. Not often I can keep up with you folk who live in wet places but so far January has been pretty damned sodden.

• Like 6