Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer
On 15/09/2023 at 13:22, Ravelin said:

Wood burner is going, Autumn has officially arrived. 

Am currently in North Carolina with work where it is very warm but been on phone home to Westhill this morning. The sticks are about to be ordered as the wood burner will be going on soon lol  !!!

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Great photos, thanks for sharing 👍

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Weather station tells me it's a balmy 14.4c and the sun is trying to shine! Too much cloud though, light breezes, occasional showers. Much worse to come tomorrow when I'll be staying put and may indulge in a wee dram to welcome the Equinoctial Gales! 😁🥃🌬️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Very wet here this evening after cold day following low of !c this morning.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Well I’m starting to appreciate just how sheltered Glasgow is! The rain out here - a mere 30 miles away - takes on a very different character to what I remember in the city.

When people tell you it always rains in Greenock, believe them.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wild and woolly doon here, sunny but very blowy. Too many trees round me here, Think I preferred living out on the moor to this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Very wet since Monday evening. Approx 30mm. 
A very mild night, a low of 15.8c. Very windy. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Yesterday and today have been lovely early autumn days. Plenty weak sunshine, v mild afternoons but fresh mornings.

A reprieve from the monsoon. At 106mm so far (106% of average for the month) and early weather warnings now out for Western Scotland for Sunday. 
I did think weather warnings were inevitable given the duration of the rain. Not ideal in the medium/long term as it seems every autumn we flood and Oct - Jan is our wet season (with a cumulative average of 600mm for those 4 months). A wet September is not welcome.

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Showery day cool maximum of 14c now 8c . Very dark all day more like  November. Nice male calf born in field up and drinking off cow 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Going by the reports I’m seeing, I’d not be surprised if we’ll soon be in amber warning territory for rain for tomorrow afternoon and evening?

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Going by the reports I’m seeing, I’d not be surprised if we’ll soon be in amber warning territory for rain for tomorrow afternoon and evening?

I would think so, the Met Office matrix showed it was lack of confidence that’s keeping it at ‘Yellow’.

I suspect we will see things ‘upgrade’ either this afternoon or first thing in the morning once the Hi Res models get a handle on where the rain will be most biblical.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
On 20/09/2023 at 11:15, Northernlights said:

Very wet overnight.  River Findhorn high   this morning. No fieldwork here today.

Time all taken  up these last few days with huge heifer calf born by caesarian cow milked by hand for two days calf bottle fed, cow grumpy making it a dangerous job. Long legged calf bent in womb finding it difficult to stand improved every day to point where it was chasing me for the bottle last night. Finally could stand long enough to put on cow restrained in crush this morning and then caught on camera drinking naturally off cow in fold. YES!!!!!!! A lot of work to get it to that stage and patience  

That's a great outcome. Hope the calf and cow continue to recover well. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Feeling much milder today somehow though the brief bright spell has gone now and I don't think the rain is far away. Feeling miserable inside too as I, my wife and my daughter down visiting from Aberdeen all have Covid.

For those interested in mountain snow the last remaining patch in Scotland at Aonach Beag probably melted last Tuesday or more likely Wednesday meaning that for the first time since people started monitoring them over three hundred years ago there have been two years in a row that all have melted. The Sphinx patch at Braeriach melted a couple of weeks ago for the fifth time in six years meaning that it has now melted as many times in the last few years as it did in the previous three hundred+.
Incidentally there was said to be a skiff of new snow briefly on top of Braeriach yesterday morning.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Really starts to get intense from nearer 6pm particularly focusing towards Arran stretching to the SW coast 

animklt0.gif Screenshot-20230924-133559-Chrome.jpg

I'll throw a very important question HOW ON EARTH ARE THERE 0 WIND WARNINGS OUT🤔🫣🥴

EXACTLY THE SAME FEW DAYS AGO WITH UPTO 90MPH GUSTS near @mistyqueen

F6e2z-Hr-W8-AIGu-KJ.pngrafales-uk-16.png 

SHOCKING STUFF IMO 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 4

Posted

Hard to fathom the lack of yellow wind warning to be honest. Garden furniture everywhere, few branches off trees, stuff blowing everywhere. Wild out! 

• Like 9

Posted

Didn’t start off too badly really, was 17.5c and the sun came out about 11am but the wind slowly increased as the day wore on.

Really pretty wild conditions from about 5pm. I can hear the rain over the Rugby on the TV. Very windy but not proper storm territory, more ‘classic Scotland’. 
Just shy of 30mm so far, at the lower end of what was predicted. More rain to come this week.

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 6

Posted

First proper autumnal storm out there, managing to snap one of the berry laden rowan trees in half in the nearby wood.

A wet start to the evening, then a drier interlude before more rain just now - hitting the window forcefully so a good indicator its a blowing a hoolie!

Mild though, 15c outside.

I see a wind advisory has been issued for Wed evening/Thursday morning.  Question though the logic of why that gets a warning whilst the met office app says the winds currently are even higher (but with no warning in place...).

• Like 6

Posted

Feels pretty warm had a blast of rain that's went through still a tad blowy but that will calm down soon enough

Edited by NUT
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Issuing a warning for Wednesday almost 4 days in advance was nonsensical in my opinion, at least in terms of its scale. I can't remember ever seeing a yellow warning for wind when the max gust forecast for that period is 31mph...

• Like 2