Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 🥶

Regarding the madness over in the Mods........

Things looking interesting...

I lived in Calgary for 12 years and they're roasting ( compared to normal )Also at the moment Edmonton has recorded 0 Snow days ( so far ) .....Quite unreal....!

Back here we could be frozen and it's ALL linked...

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

According to both of my weather stations it's 14.1c ootbye at the moment. Horrible, dreich day. Looking a bit more seasonal for the weekend which is very welcome! 😊

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
8 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I liked your boycot mate, you managed to ban yourself until the after winter and then post 1 day after your self ban started, and get yourself right back into it.... all 10 days before winter has even  started 🤣🤣

Screenshot_20231122_000726_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.bf468815ec281b3f80de0b2ac8e4d642.jpg

Like the majority, it's Nigh on impossible to keep out that thread at this time of year 🤷‍♂️

Ano 🤣

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

I’m back as the winter interest begins 😄

The moan thread in full swing I see 😂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Positively tropical for the time of year - 14.1c at the moment, calm conditions. 

Bright with some alluring blue sky here and there.

• Like 4

Posted

I’m back for the winter rollercoaster, is it going to be another winter of sleety pish or are we going to see a cold North easterly with snow showers packing in. Fingers crossed for the latter even if it takes until February 😂❄️🥶

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted

All - A day or so ago there was a message on the MAD thread calling a model prediction of cold weather ‘carnage’.  Knowing something about the subject I replied that the word shouldn’t be used unless the meaning was known.  I noticed that my message disappeared a little while later, and I’ve since received a message of admonishment, informing me that ‘carnage’ could be slang, and anyway it wasn’t my business.  There doesn’t seem to be any method of actually cancelling my netweather membership, so I’ll be signing out this evening for the last time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, dryfie said:

All - A day or so ago there was a message on the MAD thread calling a model prediction of cold weather ‘carnage’.  Knowing something about the subject I replied that the word shouldn’t be used unless the meaning was known.  I noticed that my message disappeared a little while later, and I’ve since received a message of admonishment, informing me that ‘carnage’ could be slang, and anyway it wasn’t my business.  There doesn’t seem to be any method of actually cancelling my netweather membership, so I’ll be signing out this evening for the last time.

Yeah, they don't seem keen to let go.... and any straying from the netweather moral compass is definitely frowned on. Hey ho.

Carnage is a tricky word. It certainly seems to have added a colloquial meaning (that I don't understand) to its more widely recognised meaning, and tbh, it's a word I avoid.  As you say, 'carnage' really can bring up memories some of the most awful scenes, whether real or fictional.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

Think it depends who you are whether you end up on the naughty step or not 🙄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

It's cigars and champagne all round in the MOD thread tonight. What could possibly go wrong 🙄

On a small island downstream of a big, warm ocean... hmmm <scratches head>

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather please
8 hours ago, Quinach said:

Positively tropical for the time of year - 14.1c at the moment, calm conditions. 

Bright with some alluring blue sky here and there.

13.5C here now in Brechin - feels like a summers night 😅

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
14 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

It's cigars and champagne all round in the MOD thread tonight. What could possibly go wrong 🙄

I've absolutely no clue what to make of any of the weather models in the last day or two, there is no making sense of it. Best thing to do in this situation, when chaos reigns, both in the models and the MOD thread, is to sit back quietly and watch, possibly hiding behind a cushion, 1970s Dr Who style as a kid. 

@dryfieDon't give up all together, just stay out of the MOD thread and hang out here. If anything particularly exciting pops up we'll be all over it, without the southern bias. Most of us have been bitten by the MOD thread and had a slap or two on the wrist as a result (some more than others, not naming names 😉). 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Yes violent Gale here, howling around the roof, temps dropping now too. With regards to the mad thread I discovered to my immense pleasure that you can block any posters you wish, highly enjoyable as then you can’t see any of their posts.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Anybody else finding it mega windy right now?

Yep. To the point I'm surprised there's no warning out. 

13c too which is obscene for the time of year really! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 hour ago, Kayemill said:

Very much so. Wild here. Even current observations seem to be underplaying it. Like @101_North I’m a bit surprised we haven’t had advanced notice of this.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Kayemill said:

Yes, I’m in Glasgow and about 5pm walked across the footbridge from beside the Crowne Plaza going over to the GSC and was stopped in my tracks and pushed backwards - actually had thoughts of landing in the Clyde! I’m fairly used to being in high winds, but that was completely unexpected!

Edit to add - just looked at the Glencoe Weather stations and saw this at the BASE ! Can get some insane gusts when the wind roars down the front face of Meall a’ Bhuiridh or funnels round the side of Creag Dhubh coming out of Glen Etive. Sometimes it can alternate between flat calm and rip roaring SW gust, then the next gust comes from the NW, creating the turbulence that can give 3 digit gusts like tonight!

50B8A751-3560-4B32-B854-B2B651F6F25C.jpeg

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Yup can hear wind whipping up here aswell on a mild night, hopefully the last of the mild weather and can look fwd to some colder weather in the near future. 

• Like 5

Posted

Very windy and mild start to the day at 11.5c. My weekend job of clearing the leaves from the roof valleys and gutters has been completed thanks to last night's winds.

Light snow in the forecast for later on today and tomorrow morning. Not quite 1947/1963 being kicked around on the another thread.

Screenshot_20231123_071049_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 5

Posted

All getting a bit heated in the MOD thread as usual 🙄

• Like 6

Posted

As noted above, a surprisingly stormy night - power was out for a couple of hours plus the new featherweight Aberdeenshire Council bins went for a tumble around the garden (just as well they were nearly empty).

Still very windy outside and the cooling trend has already begun - 13c at midnight and down to 9c now; light shower of rain just now.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Down from 12.2C to 7.4C here so far, winds dropping after a breezy night, not a lot of cloud around.

Looking forward to potentially seeing a flurry or two of light snow tomorrow if forecasts are right. Not getting carried away with the MOD thread though, in either direction. Best I can say is that I'm intrigued at what the models are showing, but far from the point of being excited. Likely looking cooler for a while, but doubting it'll be snowy in the foreseeable, but hopefully that will come eventually. 

• Like 3