Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
10 hours ago, shuggee said:

Ha! @mardathaHello Beeglie.  Meet Egbert Nobacon!

PXL_20220804_172136123.jpg

Ohhhh hallo wee Eggie!  ❤️

• Like 1

Posted

First day in quite a while that necessitated wearing a jacket.

Light showers of rain off and on all day with classic Permagloom™ in between.

Max of 16c, though feeling cooler than that with light SW winds.

view.thumb.jpg.9ffca60e984527b1bd847c505f1cc178.jpg

Storm damage from last winter still very much in evidence nearby...

tree.thumb.jpg.baf6994e81a299f50a65a3b371bcefd0.jpg

Forecast next week looking very tasty indeed...

image.thumb.png.13ddf8889c4a11d39c3e81e212ae6dc5.png

• Like 6

Posted

Quite a cloudy and breezy day that will clear soon enough Next week looking stonking (now noticing though the darker nights later mornings which I have a preference for)

• Like 3

Posted

Just like yesterday really some sun but mostly cloudy and still that breeze

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A bit of a breeze here too but a fairly welcome one with a sunny high of 22.2C so far. As @Quinachsaid, yesterday was very different and I had a light jacket on for the dog walk in the afternoon. That, with the hood up, did help me keep at bay my personal cloud of flies, that pestered me from the top of one of the hills all the way back to the car. 

giphy.thumb.gif.1161fde0c30e0518f3605ba8226a3301.gifgiphy.thumb.gif.1161fde0c30e0518f3605ba8226a3301.gifgiphy.thumb.gif.1161fde0c30e0518f3605ba8226a3301.gif

• Like 5

Posted

Gorgeous day in Stonehaven yesterday with a max of 22c and some lovely cloudscapes to boot....

st1.thumb.jpg.30b62c720c32c22aa699c9cc76472965.jpg

st2.thumb.jpg.f18421b6797ab9a0ce000a8b17fb9ade.jpg

st3.thumb.jpg.f5bde7dc2f8e0a399abbe10b764fbbe7.jpg

Cracking sunny start to the day here with blue skies, calm conditions and 20c already.

Not often you get a forecast as good as this for the foreseeable...

image.thumb.png.7270bef6acbce08d62a34d12c85ca115.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Echo the thoughts of Quinach. 

Today is the first day of the sunny warm weather. Pleasant at 21c currently but forecast to ramp up with the met office forecasting 27c on both Friday and Saturday.

Since mid June this summer hasn’t been bad, a good August will certainly mean it’s remembered for more than just a brief record plume in July.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Since mid June this summer hasn’t been bad, a good August will certainly mean it’s remembered for more than just a brief record plume in July.

A good thunderstorm wouldn't go amiss though, especially to give the garden a good soaking. 

Currently 21.2C with a high of 22.7C for the day. Bit of cloud popping up so that high might stand. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

A good thunderstorm wouldn't go amiss though, especially to give the garden a good soaking. 

Currently 21.2C with a high of 22.7C for the day. Bit of cloud popping up so that high might stand. 

Agreed! Where have they been this year?! Perhaps we will pick some up when this heatwave breaks down

Posted

Still cloudy today but more blue sky showing soon hopefully it will finally clear and that breeze still there but not as bad as weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

A lovely warm sunny day, corn lice are out in their millions, sure ive seen flying ants too.. cloud has increased over the last hour.

Mrs Mair Snaw is itching to start packing for the big move.. she has been looking at the weather and today has come out with "its warmer at the new house than it is here. Will it be like that in winter??" 😂😂 "yeah yeah" was my reply.

Firewood has been sourced and delivery to be arranged, ive gone for softwood and hardwood a tipper truck of each. Toying with 200kg of house coal with it but not sure.. anybody here still burn it and whats the best way to burn it? Alongside wood or on its own?

• Like 1

Posted

@Mair SnawHow has your wife not twigged yet that every move is an attempt to find somewhere snowier? 🤔

We use the stove mainly with wood as it's easier and quicker to get going and heats up quickly. That's better for when we come in from work and are around to keep topping it up. We keep a couple of bags of smokeless fuel / ovals in the garage too, but only really use that if we're around all day. It slower and fussier to get going but then burns for longer without needing as much attention. 

When we were without power for days last winter it was the stove that kept the house relatively warm, mainly burning smokeless fuel. If I topped it up before going to bed and left the lounge doors open the house was still warm enough in the morning. The fire in the stove would be out but the stove itself still warm. 

I was told by the chimney sweep NOT to burn wood and coal together. The sulphur in the coal can combine with water vapour in the wood to create sulphuric acid which will corrode the metal flue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

@Mair SnawHow has your wife not twigged yet that every move is an attempt to find somewhere snowier? 🤔

We use the stove mainly with wood as it's easier and quicker to get going and heats up quickly. That's better for when we come in from work and are around to keep topping it up. We keep a couple of bags of smokeless fuel / ovals in the garage too, but only really use that if we're around all day. It slower and fussier to get going but then burns for longer without needing as much attention. 

When we were without power for days last winter it was the stove that kept the house relatively warm, mainly burning smokeless fuel. If I topped it up before going to bed and left the lounge doors open the house was still warm enough in the morning. The fire in the stove would be out but the stove itself still warm. 

I was told by the chimney sweep NOT to burn wood and coal together. The sulphur in the coal can combine with water vapour in the wood to create sulphuric acid which will corrode the metal flue. 

Should have pointed out we will only have an ooen fire this coming winter but a stove shall be added in a different room next year maybe spring time..

And no as yet she has no idea what im upto.. and infact it was she that found this property so every time we are snawed in this coming winter it will all be her fault, although it was my choice between this property and a farm house next to the beach near Dunoon 😂😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Mair Snaw you can't burn coal and wood together in a stove, not much of it anyway, They need different throats. You can in an open fire though. The smokeless eggs are only for stoves, they give off fumes that will kill you - but in a stove they will keep it going 24 hours whereas house coal will go out overnight. You can't light a fire with the eggs, you need a lot of wood first to get it going. House coal is easiest really but maybe dirtier? But this coming winter we aren't going to be caring about saving the planet if we're in danger of hypothermia are we.  Well I'm not anyway 🥶

• Like 3

Posted

Don't forget peat. (Looks around nervously). Love the smell and its heat is in between wood and coal.

Warm in the city today - 18C at 9am on the car thermometer. Right by Waverley station all day, so not going to get much respite even at lunchtime. Grumble. 

• Like 4

Posted

Much sunnier start to the day (sign of things to come) winds dropped off further gonna be a crackerjack probably the rest of the week

• Like 2

Posted

Currently 23C, high around noon of 25.3C. A little bit cloudy at times but otherwise a cracking day. 

• Like 2

Posted

I'm wondering for those on the east coast whether haar might come into play Friday and into the weekend... Certainly I have lots of memories of Edinburgh Festival either in  heavy rain or haar towards the end of the month in years gone by. 25C in Livi, 13C in the Grassmarket...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Hope not. Remember one year leaving the house here in West of Dundee at 24C(exactly what we have now) to watch the golf at Carnoustie and having to buy a warm fleece to stop shivering there in 12C and haar. My wife worked at St Andrews Uni and often came home moaning about the cold there when we had sunshine at home. We are not totally immune here though as it quite often creeps in up the river.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, shuggee said:

I'm wondering for those on the east coast whether haar might come into play Friday and into the weekend... Certainly I have lots of memories of Edinburgh Festival either in  heavy rain or haar towards the end of the month in years gone by. 25C in Livi, 13C in the Grassmarket...

I went out fishing to North Berwick a lot of years ago. 24c at the house, blue sky and me in shorts and t-shirt! It was still roasting in North Berwick but the haar was just clinging to the coast and no more. The rocks I was fishing off were about 11-12c yet 50m back it was sunny and hot! I gave up after an hour I was so cold 😆

25c here just now! Lovely stuff!

• Like 5

Posted

A high of 24.7c (just edging down from that now) which is a good bit over the met office 23c prediction. A cracker, wall to wall sunshine.

Met office and BBC have said 27/28c here for Friday (and Sat) so could scrape 29.

Pre last month’s record breaker (>32c) i’ve only recorded >29.5c here on one occasion. It does go to show how seemingly easily we’re testing records. 

• Like 4

Posted

Less of this haar talk, please you’ll only encourage it. 😁

Very pleasant day in NE Fife, Leuchars got up to 26c and even here in Pittenweem we managed 24c with the breeze off the land. Tomorrow may be warm is well before the wind off the sea cools us down. But hopefully not accompanied by haar!

Its turned into a very decent summer here in NE Fife. 

• Like 7

Posted

Skies starting to clear although had milky sun most of the day not half warm I tell you and the warmest weather still to come 😉

• Like 4

Posted

It's  just too hot... winter cannot come fast enough... i can't  stand the heat..🔥🔥🔥

• Like 4