Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold Christmas period 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
2 hours ago, Valleyboy said:

That’s what I’m saying John.  If the correlation between warm Septembers and the following winters were true, then this theory was completely bust in 78/79 which was the coldest winter since 62/63.  Weather doesn’t work like that, it’s too chaotic.

September 1978 wasn't extraordinarily warm, it had a CET of 14.2, so only slightly above average unlike 2021.  

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Wingman Blue said:

1962 had a very warm September, 27.8C on the 3rd….?

September 1962 actually did see a brief warm spell at the start, in what was a cool month overall with a CET of 12.6.  It is not uncommon to see brief warm spells in a cool period overall, albeit short lived.

17 hours ago, booferking said:

Early December was primed for cold blocked weather heading into xmas the EC46 etc screaming for it along with other drivers and what did we get nationwide very little only for a selected few, January screaming almost the opposite can the weather make fools of us again absolutely it does what it wants all the models and drivers can be fooled like ourselves. 

They never fail when mild wet weather is forecast though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
14 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

September 1978 wasn't extraordinarily warm, it had a CET of 14.2, so only slightly above average unlike 2021.  

Anyway its more so warm Septembers of the last 25 years or so..being more correlation 

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Looking at the 6z gfs control "I know I'm bored" has very little Heighths way south to the UK. The point being low pressure Dosnt want to dive sse be it fi

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, sundog said:

Anyway its more so Septembers of the last 25 years or so..being more correlation 

Which only goes to show that any kind of September is now less-likely to be followed by a severe winter than was once the case?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
22 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Which only goes to show that any kind of September is now less-likely to be followed by a severe winter than was once the case?

Indeed but most especially a very warm one. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Right now, with the climate situation as it is, a whole lot of things can be a big concern for the winter:

• Britain existing east of a warm Atlantic Ocean.
  • Any new teleconnection arising out of the blue like the Indian Ocean Dipole in 2019.  
  • EQBO will either fail to produce the goods or fail completely.
  • Wherever we are in the MJO or AAM phase space, a reason will be found why the UK will favour mild.
  • The strat is our only hope, but a SSW 2 of every 3 years, and only 70% of those likely to deliver, it isn’t good odds, except it may be the only game in town.  
  • And it is most likely to deliver in March if it happens.  Has to perfect though, for the south, 2018 was, 2013 was a few hours slush. 
  • If persistent meridional jet over 1 year from last year’s SSW hasn’t delivered, that is a worry because that doesn’t often happen. 
  • All the seasonal models bar the Japanese and Chinese going for mild (happens every year now).  
  • The October fog index .  

But no, I’ve never heard of a theory that a warm September is a thing to worry about, in that regards.

Mike

This year its sunspot activity need to add that to the list.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi GFS 06z continues with the pressure rise in very favourable position with Atlantic still looking 

less aggressive still on track for a cold period.Some disagreement with the stratisphere polar vortex,

ECM going for strong throughout while Juda Cohen climatologist going for a much less aggressive PV.

This could be a major factor in wether we see -NOA against a +NOA which is why I am looking for

pressure rising in mid Atlantic following Juda Cohen scenario,fingers crossed.

Posted
1 hour ago, sundog said:

Indeed but most especially a very warm one. 

I think that the September theory works only one way but not the other - whilst it is not clear that a cool or average September appears to have any bearing on the winter that follows, it does appear that there is a link between a significantly warm September and that the following winter will be mild with just a small chance that it will be average and virtually no chance of a colder than average winter to follow.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I think that the September theory works only one way but not the other - whilst it is not clear that a cool or average September appears to have any bearing on the winter that follows, it does appear that there is a link between a significantly warm September and that the following winter will be mild with just a small chance that it will be average and virtually no chance of a colder than average winter to follow.

Gavin Partridge did an interesting video on the September vs following winter theory back in the autumn.  I would say worth a watch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 hours ago, syed2878 said:

Yes I have had the same earah few times today I had to close my browser re-open the browser and refresh that’s how I got it sorted but maybe the tech’s can take a look sometimes

Edit, never mind, it the reaction one. Misread, thought it was the content one.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

If 'parroting climatology' makes one an 'idiot', what on earth does spending months' predicting 'Murr sausages', and the like, make one?

Popular. If the output suggests mild wet and windy the that’s part of the discussion.

This September thing is as bad as suggesting the output went rubbish because I wasn’t wearing my lucky pants. 

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I’m not sure I agree with the warm September theory, leading to a mild winter.

Septmeber 2009 and 10 were both relatively warm and sunny, after mediocre to poor summer months in those years. Winters that followed were both cold or had very cold spells with less frequent mild spells.

Septmeber 1994, 2001, and 2013 were all cool or slightly below average, but the winters that followed were all mild or very mild, especially 94/95 and 2013/14.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not sure I agree with the warm September theory, leading to a mild winter.

Septmeber 2009 and 10 were both relatively warm and sunny, after mediocre to poor summer months in those years. Winters that followed were both cold or had very cold spells with less frequent mild spells.

Septmeber 1994, 2001, and 2013 were all cool or slightly below average, but the winters that followed were all mild or very mild, especially 94/95 and 2013/14.

I certainly don’t agree with it - I would agree with the statement ‘virtually everything leads to a mild winter’ these days.  Let’s see if we can get some colder air south with this northerly on the models in the semi-reliable, and see where we go from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Perhaps we should start a petition to get September removed from the calendar.

Only needs 100,000 and then it would have to be debated in parliament.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Perhaps we should start a petition to get September removed from the calendar.

Only needs 100,000 and then it would have to be debated in parliament.

I would definitely be up for that as that would mean I would no longer have any Birthdays and therefore not get any older!! 

Edited by Don
  • Like 5