Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Sunny morning here, now clouded over and fairly breezy. Weather station saying it's 15C outside at the moment!

Posted

Windier here than i thought it would be, from Dudley.

2 fence panels down; some of next door's cladding just hit side of our house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
28 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Windier here than i thought it would be, from Dudley.

2 fence panels down; some of next door's cladding just hit side of our house.

Same here , already have trees down. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Evening all, I'm hoping a miracle happens and Eunice clears off into France, hate high winds in an average storm, Friday fills me with dread. Expecting lots of trees down around here as there are so many dead and dying Ash trees, victims of sudden ash die back, potential for an awful amount of damage from those. Work is about 7 miles from Bristol channel (as the crow flies), there's little protection as the topography is fairly flat, I'm keeping everything crossed we don't lose this vulnerable, venerable, enormous Black Pine; it stands way above everything else so catches the full force of wind from that direction. It's a few hundred years old and a landmark for miles around, home to countless generations of Ravens for decades and likely to take out a fully mature Lime tree and an ancient Copper Beech too.

It's got quite an alarming lean that's getting more acute as the years pass, but the trunk has so far responded with enough stress growth to counter the lean. Please survive Old Man.

black pine.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
9 minutes ago, jethro said:

Evening all, I'm hoping a miracle happens and Eunice clears off into France, hate high winds in an average storm, Friday fills me with dread. Expecting lots of trees down around here as there are so many dead and dying Ash trees, victims of sudden ash die back, potential for an awful amount of damage from those. Work is about 7 miles from Bristol channel (as the crow flies), there's little protection as the topography is fairly flat, I'm keeping everything crossed we don't lose this vulnerable, venerable, enormous Black Pine; it stands way above everything else so catches the full force of wind from that direction. It's a few hundred years old and a landmark for miles around, home to countless generations of Ravens for decades and likely to take out a fully mature Lime tree and an ancient Copper Beech too.

It's got quite an alarming lean that's getting more acute as the years pass, but the trunk has so far responded with enough stress growth to counter the lean. Please survive Old Man.

black pine.jpg

We've had 3 ash trees fall in the village today alone. Dread friday , theres so many more. I'm not even sure westonbirt have finished felling thier ash either. 

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
17 minutes ago, Lorraine said:

We've had 3 ash trees fall in the village today alone. Dread friday , theres so many more. I'm not even sure westonbirt have finished felling thier ash either. 

They're literally everywhere around here, highways have done a good job a clearing the ones adjacent to main roads but the lanes are literally lined with 100s of fully mature ones, it'll be carnage with the forecast winds.  

The view from the village here is up the Mendip escarpment, a steep climb of over 500ft, the slopes are deeply wooded with at least 75% Ash - all dead and dying. Just down the road is Cheddar Gorge, again the slopes and tops are covered with dead/dying Ash, I think it's guaranteed a large proportion will fall in the expected winds.

Don't understand why logs are so damned expensive, there's a plethora of felled trees around

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

I cant believe how windy it is here tonight,  I am really dreading Friday . Earlier today my sister got an e-mail from I think it was southern electric warning about storm on Friday be prepared , have candles or torches handy and make sure you have blankets ready to expect power outages also to keep an eye on elderly neighbours.  She rang me and said is going to be bad ?  All I could say at the time was keep eye on weather forecasts.  

I know I will be out in the garden tomorrow trying to seduce what ever I can .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
10 hours ago, nettie said:

I cant believe how windy it is here tonight,  I am really dreading Friday . Earlier today my sister got an e-mail from I think it was southern electric warning about storm on Friday be prepared , have candles or torches handy and make sure you have blankets ready to expect power outages also to keep an eye on elderly neighbours.  She rang me and said is going to be bad ?  All I could say at the time was keep eye on weather forecasts.  

I know I will be out in the garden tomorrow trying to seduce what ever I can .

I had to have a little chuckle at your typo in that last sentence. But this morning is sunny, blue skies and calm this morning. Tomorrow will be the exact opposite. Hoping everyone stays safe.

Edited by snowdog
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning All, what a fine morning after the overnight low of 7.8°C at: 07:32, currently 9.1°C , RH77% and pressure rising, currently 1012.0mb with a sunny and clear start to the day..

image.thumb.png.1413a0fb68a39084a55fa5ec6e6a572b.png

From above
image.thumb.png.ff576fda8b387f0fc6d6bc0266b7d137.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.
22 minutes ago, snowdog said:

I had to have a little chuckle at your typo in that last sentence. But this morning is sunny, blue skies and calm this morning. Tomorrow will be the exact opposite. Hoping everyone stays safe.

Oh my !!!!   just looked to see what it was I had said

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Blue skies and 10.5°C. It was pretty windy last night.. gonna have to do some preventative maintenance later, I think?!

• Like 2

Posted

Yesterday afternoon we had some gusty winds with a few hours of 25-30mph gusts.

Nice morning and a bit of a clam before the storm, WNW 10-15mph.
Now 10.5°C, 1011.9 hPa and rising rapidly.

A bit of a downgrade on the forecasts for tomorrow I've noticed here, now showing 50-63mph gusts during the day, when yesterday they were 55- 73mph. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The calm before the storm. Sunny with some light cloud around.

Posted

I'm glad that it's not just me who is getting anxious .....yesterday was bad enough, but tomorrow will be worse. Am taking car for it's service and MOT tomorrow morning, will probably get blown there! Stay safe everybody.

Posted

I'm looking forward to it! I'm not sure where to head to tomorrow morning.. probably at Alban's head, that a great open space.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm looking forward to it! I'm not sure where to head to tomorrow morning.. probably at Alban's head, that a great open space.

Do you know what? You have just made me realise what a cowardly wimp I am! Perhaps I ought to go out and FEEL it, rather than cower in a corner!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, noggin said:

Do you know what? You have just made me realise what a cowardly wimp I am! Perhaps I ought to go out and FEEL it, rather than cower in a corner!

It's not about being a coward.. I get why some don't like wind storms.. l only live a short distance from dozens of coastal points. When I was a nipper, my dear old dad would take me to these places during strong winds/thunderstorms etc, so it's something I really enjoy.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's not about being a coward.. I get why some don't like wind storms.. l only live a short distance from dozens of coastal points. When I was a nipper, my dear old dad would take me to these places during strong winds/thunderstorms etc, so it's something I really enjoy.

I hope you have a great time! When it's windy, for me it feels like a physical assault! Give me torrential rain anytime...I could go out and revel in that!

When I was a little girl, oh so long ago, I used to think that the splashes of the raindrops on the ground were fairies! I have loved the rain all my life and even now will stop what I am doing to watch or go out and enjoy it. 

I see that the Met Office has now issued a red warning for Bristol Channel area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Lost four panes of glass from greenhouse in last nights wind, replaced with spares I wonder what it will look like friday lunchtime..