Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
15 minutes ago, abruzzi spartan said:

Might be worth correcting that to 'taking heed'

Bloomin' auto-correct! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

I'm North Cornwall, not looking forward to this

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Just checked....BBC weather has Exeter down for 81mph, this is 4mph less than the 1990 Burns Day storm, 5 hours of gusts of winds over 70mph!  This is going to be a storm we will remember...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
11 minutes ago, weirpig said:

To be fair that sounds like a good point.  There are some huge cities that are likely to see 75 mph plus winds if the organisation is  to put those into the Red warning i would thought takes some discussions and time.

Hence the cobra meeting which I'm quite sure someone from the met, is probably at.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Hence the cobra meeting which I'm quite sure someone from the met, is probably at.

Unfortunately, however, any apparent tardiness regarding Met Office warnings will be seen as a window of opportunity in which the usual suspects can berate the MO. Sad, really?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
14 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

Perhaps a separate thread for the usual debate over whether the Met Office warnings are appropriate?  

From now on a lot of people will be coming here for updates on a potentially life-threatening storm, not a assumptive theory-based debate on Met Office administrative and coms issues.  

There is a thread here about the Weather warnings and includes a link to a blog (from 2020 but still relevant) about how the MO warnings are impact-based. Not relying on certain weather thresholds. 

lightning-field-sunset.jpeg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Yellow, Amber and Red warnings - all warn of severe weather but not all yellow warnings are equal as the UK uses an impact based system. Extra understanding is needed for good decision making.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well living in Barry, directly on the South Wales coast, a town of 58,000 and with a small city of  Cardiff with almost 500k and many large towns with 10-40,000 along the coast, I think its right that South Wales and parts of SW England have the red warning first as we will get hit first. As others have said, once Meto are more confident later, I'm sure the red will extend to other areas. 

As much as I like a good storm, I'm not overly sure I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the potential damage etc. Thankfully I'm off until Mondayso can stay in tomorrow. 

• Like 7

Posted

Latest UKV 09z is now substantially downgraded in windspeed gusts from yesterday afternoon / evening. This is still a powerful storm but it has without a doubt downgraded for the majority of areas when compared to yesterday. 

I think that the MO have got the red warning spot on here and personally do not expect to see any additional red warnings, unless the sting jet comes to fruition. 

Before you discuss the term 'downgraded' please compare the UKV charts for 09z to 15z/18z/21z from last night. As a whole I'd estimate a fall in windspeed from 10-15mph for a lot of areas.

The sting jet is concerning though.

Edit: How do you post past charts from netweather website, if you click on the image it only shows the current model run? Like the one attached. (09z)

nmmukgust.png

Edited by JamesC
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
4 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Latest UKV 09z is now substantially downgraded in windspeed gusts from yesterday afternoon / evening. This is still a powerful storm but it has without a doubt downgraded for the majority of areas when compared to yesterday. 

I think that the MO have got the red warning spot on here and personally do not expect to see any additional red warnings, unless the sting jet comes to fruition. 

Before you discuss the term 'downgraded' please compare the UKV charts for 09z to 15z/18z/21z from last night. As a whole I'd estimate a fall in windspeed from 10-15mph for a lot of areas.

Edit: How do you post past charts from netweather website, if you click on the image it only shows the current model run? Like the one attached. (09z)

nmmukgust.png

Certainly not a downgrade for my area. If anything, it’s been getting worse the further north it is being modelled. It wouldn’t be a wise move to start undermining the potential of this. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, JamesC said:

nmmukgust.png

Yep  certainly the winds are down compared to yesterday  60-75mph  perhaps through  england and wales.  with the areas in the red zone  80 plus  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.

I'm a delivery driver in Cardiff for Tesco and I should be working tomorrow.....I wonder if deliveries will be cancelled....somehow I doubt it.

Edited by Bartlett High
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
1 hour ago, alibabba said:

been talking to a few friends and family about this storm and to be honest no one is taking it seriously  not sure how bad it will get here on the lincolnshire coast but its falling on deaf ears 

We live just north  west of swindon , so I'd expect it to be quite strong winds. Yet a few locals are like.. yea.. yea. Itll be fun chasing bin lids around Not a care in the world 

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frost and thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Here's where Eunice is currently tracking. The rotation should appear in the next few hours as it begins to rapidly deepen.

1362976936_ezgif.com-gif-maker(9).thumb.gif.8b64524d9f600a96b6bf1273775821f1.gif

Incredible image - thank you very much for posting. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

70mph winds in the middle of a working day in London justifies a red warning. This has been consistently modelled for days now.

70 mph in other cities likely wouldn't be a red warning...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here's the latest Met Office forecast. An evolving situation requires evolving warnings?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted

Some of this 'downgrade' stuff is complete nonsense. Simply bears no relation to the actual charts or what professional forecasters are adding.

The depth of the low has, if anything, intensified and peak depth is tending to occur over the UK now rather than in the Bristol channel.

This is a severe storm that is going to cause widespread disruption and damage.

Actual wind gusts will become easier to forecast later in the day and overnight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just looked at these from the UKV and some areas look like the gusts have weakened a bit, albeit still very strong. However looks to have strengthened for some of us in the SW and South Wales.

Screenshot_20220217-115631_Chrome.thumb.jpg.00511a2057eee4ebad7fc78af59f39f4.jpgScreenshot_20220217-115644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9590ec577a41db222fadf7e8871b3be7.jpgScreenshot_20220217-115652_Chrome.thumb.jpg.64d4a211516e167b9b7b9daef4b7ccd7.jpg

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I see no downgrade unless you're talking about within 250 metre grid squares?

2008228598_Screenshot_20220217-115458_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e839510b6b95abf52cb79d6a4c02239d.jpg

So you decided to ignore the time stamps from yesterday which was the point of the post? 

Besides the charts you posted do show a slight decrease in wind speed in a large portion of England.......

Please post the charts from 18z / 21z from yesterday with the same comment as you made above....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
15 minutes ago, JamesC said:

nmmukgust.png

The UKV 9z is actually worse for W Wales & SW England, eeek.

• Like 1