Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
19 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Indeed. Thankfully, our 3 water butts are still keeping us going. My fiancé is doing plenty of watering of her veg patch and all the various other things she's growing, so I focus on the pot of mint (she hates the stuff) that we have, a baby Horse Chestnut tree that I planted at the start of the Spring, and filling up the bird baths daily! The poor mint is struggling to stay green and luscious even with a heavy daily watering. 

Sounds like you have it under control. I only have one butt which i have had to resort to filling with tap water now and leaving it for a while...have tomatoes in pots and it is essential they are watered daily or they start to droup...strange thing with mint..it is quite invasive when in the ground but i have seen a number of mint in pots where it isnt at its best..hoping for some rain at least to fill up the butt...pethaps i'll need to get another butt 'but' i just know that would be a signal for the weather to turn even drier🤣

Sounds like where you are will miss the worst of the heat although with the hotness of the air dont know how strong or refreshing any sea breeze will be...

Edited by minus10
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Let's hope this heatwave will motivate more and more people in the UK to start installing AC's  in their homes. 

Finding an AC in the UK is like looking for a needle in a haystack. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

There was no moaning happening, so I’m at a bit of a loss to understand your post 🤷‍♂️ If you want to chat more, pm me! 

I won’t be enjoying the extreme heat, will be on a training course in uniform and out for a while on the tarmac at Heathrow 😱 Plus a bit worried for my Mum. She’s a sensible sort so is taking precautions, fingers crossed all will be well.

Make sure to give the weather station a salute on your way past 😝

10 minutes ago, Mesogeiakos said:

Let's hope this heatwave will motivate more and more people in the UK to start installing AC's  in their homes. 

Finding an AC in the UK is like looking for a needle in a haystack. 

With energy prices the way they are, the last thing people in the uk will be thinking about is AC for the 10-20 hot days a year we get 😅

• Like 1

Posted

Been thinking about the general advice given to maintain temps as comfortably as possible over the next few days. Ordinarily I would leave south facing curtains closed with windows open around the house to allow air to flow through. Advice from a lot of people in hot countries is - keep windows closed if the temp outside is higher than inside.

This seems counter-intuitive. Appreciate curtains closed will prevent some heating but is this advice right? Wouldn't the house just end up being way hotter inside after a while?

That said, trying it today - current temp outside is 24.5 whilst indoors is 22.7 - both rising.

Thinking that UK houses are designed to retain heat with double glazing and various insulation - that it may take longer to heat up but when its there it'll be way hotter and harder to remove the heat.

Any experts on this able to advise - windows closed or open - during the day that is....

Thanks

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

With energy prices the way they are, the last thing people in the uk will be thinking about is AC for the 10-20 hot days a year we get 😅

I lived 12 years in London and each and every year I was fighting with my landlord to allow me to install an AC.

I grew up in Athens. I know what hot weather feels like. I remember a few days in London that I could barely go to work because of the heat. 

Anyhow you are right about energy costs but there are some very energy efficient ACs (mostly Inverter technology). Besides you can use an AC for heating in the winter as well. 

Posted

Top tip for keeping cool at night.   If you have a loft/attic hatch, leave it open during the night and the hot air will be sucked up into the roof space and cool the 1st floor's sleeping areas.   This really does work and it create a bit of air flow too 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Christ, nothing's even happened yet, and already the Deniers are lining up their excuses? I wonder how much 'encroachment' has invaded Cambridge Botanic Garden, since 2019? Going by the latest model runs a whole new city must have been built there!😂

You should take a look at the comment sections on the Daily Mail website (yes, I am ashamed to admit that I do visit it sometimes). They are riddled with climate deniers and all sorts of silly conspiracy theories. Makes for a great read if you want a laugh. 😀

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Carl said:

Been thinking about the general advice given to maintain temps as comfortably as possible over the next few days. Ordinarily I would leave south facing curtains closed with windows open around the house to allow air to flow through. Advice from a lot of people in hot countries is - keep windows closed if the temp outside is higher than inside.

This seems counter-intuitive. Appreciate curtains closed will prevent some heating but is this advice right? Wouldn't the house just end up being way hotter inside after a while?

That said, trying it today - current temp outside is 24.5 whilst indoors is 22.7 - both rising.

Thinking that UK houses are designed to retain heat with double glazing and various insulation - that it may take longer to heat up but when its there it'll be way hotter and harder to remove the heat.

Any experts on this able to advise - windows closed or open - during the day that is....

Thanks

I will always have doors and windows open to allow any breeze to blow through, hairdryer feel or not! 

I am quite fortunate in my situation that on hot days we almost always have a wind blowing off Salisbury Plain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat

BBC Weather app has 39 for me on Monday, Met Office has just 34. Kind of hoping the Met Office is right to be honest, I'm already sweating on 23 degrees today haha.

Posted
33 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

I will always have doors and windows open to allow any breeze to blow through, hairdryer feel or not! 

I am quite fortunate in my situation that on hot days we almost always have a wind blowing off Salisbury Plain.

Yeah me too. Am going to continue the experiment here today. Was lucky enough to live by the sea in the past and even with no breeze, opening the right windows would generate some movement of air through the house.

My thermometer setup isn't too expensive (indoor and outdoor sensor) so whilst not considering it gospel, should give a ball-park and allow me to monitor trend... 

In 30 mins, outdoors* has increased by 2.2 degrees whilst indoors 0.2 (with curtains closed and some windows open). 

Outdoors is located in the shade so shouldn't be affected by direct sunlight...

Edit: Just added temp values for the last hour.. Impressive difference!

image.thumb.png.5439ed0b4e8ad4cc38ac8233ab8d8b01.png

Edited by Carl
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Fing raining.  What a joke

Looks like a little band of rain moving through N.Ireland, quite narrow but moving more or less due east at the moment.

Have to say its a little unlucky to get this sort of band in a 1026mbs HP centered over the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

23.3c here on Merseyside, s beautiful summers day, temp inside 21.5c, back door wide open. When we in Spain the locals think we're mad as we open all the windows etc, typical Brits, but the hot air there does make the house hot

Posted

Work is continuing at London Heathrow to move their weather station even closer to the southern runway in order to record the highest temperature on Tuesday. 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20220715_154526.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Here's a met office prediction for July 2050.. I posted this last year and oh how I got laughed at and told to ignore it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-o4IXrS8do&t=43s

Edited by 38.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Well, 24 degrees here, so not too warm. In fact, a lovely day for a run, had a pretty good average speed factoring in the hills, too.

Posted
14 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Here's a met office prediction for July 2050.. I posted this last year and oh how I got laughed at and told to ignore it. 

Might happen sooner than that at this rate.....

9 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Well, 24 degrees here, so not too warm. In fact, a lovely day for a run, had a pretty good average speed factoring in the hills, too.

Perfect summer weather here today.  Shame that's going to start changing tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Thread I created 9 years ago 

interesting to look back on, I thought it would take a lot longer, we're on the cusp now!

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

There was a thread about that 2050 forecast on this forum, and I posted the following last July:

Yes it does take a very specific set of circumstances here in the UK to pull that sort of thing off. With that being said should we pull in a decent SE airflow there is only a fairly small channel gap to pull across which effectively makes us part of a more continental style airmass for a time, especially those directly NW of that part of the channel (such as E.London for example).

Anyway as I said earlier, we nearly *did* destroy our record a couple of years ago (the month before we broke the record). to give a little context, on that day in July 2019 we had 850hpa temps somewhere between 22-23c. In late June we peaked at 24.8c! Not to mention a higher thickness. It was worked out using a Skew T chart that had it translated to the surface as I said it would have given a 41-42c temperature. Unfortunately we pulled in a ENE airflow at the very bottom layer which screwed it up. Had that airflow been ESE for example we'd have gone past 40c that week almost certainly, but that ENE kept maxes restrained to about 25c despite the monster warmth above.

Due to that very exact circumstances needed to really break a record here I tend to agree it will get broken in small incremental jumps. What has been noticeable though in recent years is how much easier it has been to record 35c+ type temperatures. These days it feels like even a glancing blow of a hot airmass from Europe gets us into that sort of range

Sure enough here we are a year later looking at a 40c type day.

Don't say nature didn't warn us this was possible. We came REAL close in June 2019 afterall...

I feel like every time someone asked about 40c I'd answer with that type of post.

Now there is a fair chance I can just show them Mon-Tues this week.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
2 hours ago, Carl said:

Thanks

Keep your windows and curtains closed during the day.  Late evening if it does cool down to a comfortable temperature outside and is cooler than inside then you should then open your windows overnight and try to get a draft going. But Monday is looking like it will stay hot all night into Tuesday morning so you might be better to keep your windows closed then. 

Also hot air rises so if it going to be cooler overnight and you have a vented loft space you could try opening the loft hatch overnight although results may vary depending on how and where your loft space is insulated. 

Edited by ManiaMuse
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

I won't close the windows either. I'd rather have air moving though rather than a build up Co2/stagnant air.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

all except the wetter winters. We're getting drier winters and less stormy. it seems like we're getting a more continental climate at the expense of the oceanic one we had 😞

Posted

Hoping  temps get higher than forecast,isnt that why you join a weather forum,for extremes of weather,we dont see it often in UK,though heat wise its getting more commmon.

Strange to see some  people complaining about it in a Weather forum though,very odd😜

Like the cold blast 0f 87 but the opposite,the extreme cold that year only lasted about 36 hours too,before it modified

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I won't close the windows either. I'd rather have air moving though rather than a build up Co2/stagnant air.

Thats my thoughts, my South facing windows and blinds will stay shut but my other windows will be open, i prefer air flow than a build up of stagnant air,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Top tip for keeping cool at night.   If you have a loft/attic hatch, leave it open during the night and the hot air will be sucked up into the roof space and cool the 1st floor's sleeping areas.   This really does work and it create a bit of air flow too 🙂

I wanted to try this a couple of years ago, but the other half wouldn't allow it due to 'the spiders' 🙄 Now that we've got a large dog who insists on sleeping upstairs, I think she'd be more 'open' to the idea. Awful pun, apologies 

• Like 1