Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A couple of days ago the forecast for today was 27°c, but we’ve hit 29°c here. A hot day with wall to wall sunshine. But this will feel cool compared to what’s coming. 

Edited by danm

Posted

Posted
19 minutes ago, danm said:

A couple of days ago the forecast for today was 27°c, but we’ve hit 29°c here. A hot day with wall to wall sunshine. But this will feel cool compared to what’s coming. 

Its been an *amazing* summer day, 27c here, wall to wall sunshine but not too extreme.

It has felt quite hot today with the sunshine, but as you say it is literally nothing compared to what is to come.

Also you satellite image shows just how dry its been in the east, its starting to get that 2018 look to the ground. The local smallish lakes are looking a very sorry site now, probably down to about 20% of the normal size and this next 3-4 days won't help.

Posted
6 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Its been an *amazing* summer day, 27c here, wall to wall sunshine but not too extreme.

It has felt quite hot today with the sunshine, but as you say it is literally nothing compared to what is to come.

Also you satellite image shows just how dry its been in the east, its starting to get that 2018 look to the ground. The local smallish lakes are looking a very sorry site now, probably down to about 20% of the normal size and this next 3-4 days won't help.

The grass in my garden is literally like straw. Bone dry and turning very brown. Getting close to 2018 levels. 

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure a heatwave is the correct term for this, particularly in the North West where it only last a day at most.

A heat snap maybe.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Not sure a heatwave is the correct term for this, particularly in the North West where it only last a day at most.

A heat snap maybe.

A heat blast would be about right for this particular spell, at least for England!

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, kold weather said:

A heat blast would be about right for this particular spell, at least for England!

Yeh. A better term.

A heatwave would be 5 days at least. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Full cloud cover now and down to 22.8c, quite a difference from just a few hours ago!

Posted

Been tracking temp in and outdoors today as i mentioned earlier and thought a baseline ahead of the main event this week was worth capturing. Not all evenly spaced out (i.e. readings aren't all every ten mins - mainly as i've just had a nap so missed a couple of hours), think i'm more interested in the relative comparison (seeing as these are raw, uncalibrated values) but interesting to see the heat taper off outside but remain steady inside.

image.thumb.png.e29edf0753d5dc4bc3fd6c1b3cbe10f0.png

Posted

Surprised how quick it warmed up throughout the day. This morning felt pretty fresh with a light breeze, but early afternoon it died down and the temperature hit around 25/26. With wall to wall sunshine, perfect summers day! 

Looking forward to more the same tomorrow, albeit it should be around 29/30. Which will be our hottest day since last year. 

Posted
56 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yeh. A better term.

A heatwave would be 5 days at least. 

Below are the July maximas for London up to and including today. Heatwave territory I’d say since the 8th. Fully appreciate though for NI in particular it’s been pretty poor. 

10E3CC03-6158-48B5-A903-24608394853F.thumb.jpeg.961840e39e4a621d79d12a624fef3454.jpeg

Posted
9 minutes ago, danm said:

Below are the July maximas for London up to and including today. Heatwave territory I’d say since the 8th. Fully appreciate though for NI in particular it’s been pretty poor. 

10E3CC03-6158-48B5-A903-24608394853F.thumb.jpeg.961840e39e4a621d79d12a624fef3454.jpeg

Where do you get this information just wondering?

Posted
44 minutes ago, Sam200498 said:

Where do you get this information just wondering?

This site.

You’ll need to find the WMO index for the location you want data for and set the time to 23hrs (11pm) as it gives you the maximum temperature recorded during the previous 24hrs. If you accidentally leave the time at say 3pm, it’ll include maximas from the day before. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Just had an E-mail from Northern power grid warning of potential issues on Monday and Tuesday and to be prepared 🤷‍♂️🥵 

• Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

40C by day, 30C by night according to Chris F on tonight's BBC weather forecast. Crazy! 

That’s not strictly true, the 30c was for 22.00 not the minimum.

The Met Office have one more day to upgrade Sheffield from amber into the red warning otherwise their warning system is simply not fit for purpose. Latest forecast on their site has us 32, 36, 38C Sunday to Tuesday which is as high if not higher than many places (eg Manchester and Leeds) that are in the red warning area  🤷‍♂️ 

I spoke with a member of their customer service team yesterday and had a very pleasant conversation, but even she could not justify why we weren't in the red and was seemingly at a loss. She encouraged me to email enquiries and she'd forward it on. Nothing back yet, though I appreciate they're very busy. I don't want a reply as such, I want action! 😅

I'll be refreshing their warnings page through tomorrow morning as that's normally when they update warnings. I hope to not lose further confidence in their forecasting.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

The Met Office have one more day to upgrade Sheffield from amber into the red warning otherwise their warning system is simply not fit for purpose. Latest forecast on their site has us 32, 36, 38C Sunday to Tuesday which is as high if not higher than many places (eg Manchester and Leeds) that are in the red warning area  🤷‍♂️ 

I spoke with a member of their customer service team yesterday and had a very pleasant conversation, but even she could not justify why we weren't in the red and was seemingly at a loss. She encouraged me to email enquiries and she'd forward it on. Nothing back yet, though I appreciate they're very busy. I don't want a reply as such, I want action! 😅

I'll be refreshing their warnings page through tomorrow morning as that's normally when they update warnings. I hope to not lose further confidence in their forecasting.

BBC have Sheffield at 41C on Monday...

Shocking that they haven't upgraded the warning for that area, those temperatures are deadly. 

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
3 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Shocking that they haven't upgraded the warning for that area, those temperatures are deadly. 

Surely the Red warning will spread further north and east tomorrow I can’t understand why it already hasn’t 

• Like 2

You'd hope so as I'm sure there are other places in the amber that are questioning why they are not in the red. I do expect an update tomorrow morning as it will have been 48 hours since it first published so that's more data and more confidence. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
31 minutes ago, Frigid said:

BBC currently have Wittering at 42c on Tuesday.

Starting to wonder if 43c will actually happen like the crazy GFS models we had not so long ago suggested.

• Like 1